Guests approach you while on break

if a guest approaches you while your walking off the floor after announcing your break do you help? Or just ignore and keep walking?

If they get me before i hit a time clock I'll help if its simple otherwise I'll call out for a tm.
Wheres the water balloons vs "explain these smart lights"
If I'm on break i will drop my vest and gear off in the backroom sometimes on a busy day so i know i can't get bothered.

i wont even tell them where anything is if im clocked out.

all too often answering one (1) question of where x is leads to "well can u take me there?" "ok what abt y item" or my fav, getting pounced on by 3 guests who appear outta nowhere and i have Had It

if i can pretend i didnt hear them, i absolutely will. if i can pass as not working here, i absolutely will.

im clocked out im not working. period. "but its a simple question!!" yeah but i also had to w o r k to learn the answer and it sometimes causes more problems than its worth so no.

Oh my goodness I had a guest get so upset when I said I was on my meal. She got all heffy and i replied i know what you mean but target by law is required to give an un- interrupted 30 minutes and i walked away.

I always took my 15 in the break room so it never was an issue, same for lunch. Never bought anything, they always has crap on the tables or in the fridge plus I brown bagged daily.

Oh my goodness I had a guest get so upset when I said I was on my meal. She got all heffy and i replied i know what you mean but target by law is required to give an un- interrupted 30 minutes and i walked away.
Same here, an older guy got so insulted when I said I was off the clock, didn't even let me finish what I was going to say. And it was definitely one of those "explain the difference between this and this" questions.

if a guest approaches you while your walking off the floor after announcing your break do you help? Or just ignore and keep walking?
You are still on the clock until you enter the door. That’s why my team knows not to announce their breaks as they are walking from the Backroom.

I will answer “where is x item”— essentially I would answer a question that I would be able to answer as a normal guest. Anything beyond that, no

If it's just a simple "point me to this" or "can you reach this for me" I will do it. Anything that would involve needing to use the device or walkie, I just tell them I'm sorry, I'm on break and don't have equipment on me. If I know another TM is nearby, I'll point them in their direction.

I always took my 15 in the break room so it never was an issue, same for lunch. Never bought anything, they always has crap on the tables or in the fridge plus I brown bagged daily.
We haven't had stuff out in a month. No starbucks either.

I should clarify that if I'm on a break, I have no problem answering, as I can just take an extra few minutes - I was punched out and on my way to the exit when I was stopped.

I always use the "I'm off the clock so I don't have any of my equipment, but I'll send someone over" line if people ask for things that aren't simple answers.

I would inform them I'm on lunch or off, but if they asked where something was I'd definitely point them in the direction. If they needed specific help I'd tell them where to find someone

If it's simple I just tell them. It takes the same amount of time to say "That's on the back wall" (then point there) as "I'm off the clock". I turn and walk (usually if you point, they look. when they look back you're already gone/on the move). However, if it's something intricate I say something like "a team member over there will be able to help you, I'm currently off the clock." Then I direct them to the area of the closest U-Boat lol.

Recently I had a woman stop me to talk to me about why she decided on a particular soap scent I'd helped her with 20 minutes prior. I had my apron off and a light zip-up over my red shirt, she just recognized me. I responded but kept walking while talking because no, ma'am. You're nice, but no.

Karen and ManKaren don't care if you're on duty or not. They don't know. They don't give a shit either. They want their Keurig so just tell them politely where they are and sling them a little folksy bullshit like " John over there can help you" when they make the move you make your move. Saying "off the clock" sounds very unprofessional.

Karen and ManKaren don't care if you're on duty or not. They don't know. They don't give a shit either. They want their Keurig so just tell them politely where they are and sling them a little folksy bullshit like " John over there can help you" when they make the move you make your move. Saying "off the clock" sounds very unprofessional.
Yeah I never say I'm off the clock. I just send them on their way or grab another ™ for assistance

I'm going to shock you all. (OK, not really if you know me around here.) i have no problem saying "Off the clock" and walking on. Karen can rage all she wants. Not that I ever have any real problems. Most people understand.
yeah I've never really had a problem. one lady stopped me as I was walking on my phone and to her credit she realized I wasn't wearing my name tag and was on my phone and she was like oh I'm so sorry you're off the clock aren't you? and I said yes and I could tell she felt bad so I asked her what she needed and it was just what aisle something was in.

I calmly tell them "I'm on a timed lunch break"

But if it's something simple like "what aisle are the rugs", I'll tell them, barely takes up any time.

Back