Guests approach you while on break

NEVER call out any kind of break while you're still ANYWHERE on the salesfloor!! You wait 'til you've reached for that door that takes you off that salesfloor before you get onto that walkie.
Also...not ONCE during my 13 years at Spot was i ever hanging out on that salesfloor during a 15 minute break or lunch/dinner break.

NEVER call out any kind of break while you're still ANYWHERE on the salesfloor!! You wait 'til you've reached for that door that takes you off that salesfloor before you get onto that walkie.
Also...not ONCE during my 13 years at Spot was i ever hanging out on that salesfloor during a 15 minute break or lunch/dinner break.
You've NEVER bought ANYTHING from the sales floor while on break/lunch? I find that hard to believe

I've always been told my break starts when I leave my station and ends when I return. If I'm working zoning in toys, then my break starts the second I walk away from Toys. Now if a guest stops me on my 15, while I'm getting my muffin from the bakery or whatever, I will tell them I'm on break but I will be happy to answer a question if they have one.

Last edited:
I would come back 20 minutes after leaving my station in the store. Everyone did that at my store.
Also, though i never hung out/shopped on the floor during lunch break (not once in years) i DID always get food from the food court at the beginning of the 15 minute breaks.

If I'm in toys, I'm guaranteed to get stopped by at least one guest on my way up to the front of the store, so my break doesn't start until I hit the TSC door. Unless I do want to buy something, in which case I'll call out for my break wherever I'm at on the floor (break timer starts then), take off my nametag, and hustle up front to buy my stuff and take the rest of my break.

We've been specifically instructed to make sure we're not cutting it close for lunches--head to the front of the store at least 15 minutes before you need to in case you get stopped by a guest on your way to the time clock. This is pretty much never a problem for me as I mostly work 5 hour shifts, but it's definitely not the norm at my store to start your break the second you leave your area. That would mean electronics, toys, seasonal, baby and chem TMs get a noticeably smaller break than cashiers, and that would suck.

Sure, hot dog relish is in aisle 19 top shelf left side last row. Don't be a dick...it takes 7 seconds. Anything more, snag an on duty TM.

I usually hit them with the "Im off the clock" and just walk away. If they're understanding they'll look elsewhere, if they're going to complain they'll complain. My time, my money

My rule of thumb is that if it doesn’t require the Zebra or any heavy lifting, I help them. I know that’s kinda contrary to what I said earlier in the thread, but I don’t want to come off as a jerk.

I just tell them that I’ll send someone their way. There’s a 99.9% chance that I will walk by a team member that can help while I’m walking to the break room or out to my vehicle.

Take your badge and put it inside out on bottom of your shirt. Very simple. Don't be rude to "guests" (customers)...just point to person on duty.

When I first started working at Target I overcompensated my job and almost every break got taken up by customers. Let managers do their job.

Oh my goodness I had a guest get so upset when I said I was on my meal. She got all heffy and i replied i know what you mean but target by law is required to give an un- interrupted 30 minutes and i walked away.
I had that happen as I was paying for a soda at SCO, about to go on my meal. She asked if I could help her and I said "Sorry, off the clock." and she let out the most over-exaggerated grunt I've ever heard, threw her items back in her cart and stormed off to a lane. 😂

I do not work when guest are in the store anymore but my rule always was my break did not start until I hit the TSC doors. If I have to shop while on a 15 I typically know what I want/need or I have already killed 2 birds with one stone and grabbed it in natural passing throughout my work day. If I make it to TSC without any guest interaction I will deduct those couple minutes from my 15. However if you have some petty bosses who hold you exactly to 15 minutes thats a different story. Its a game of give and take in my opinion. I can't tell you the number of times I had to punch in a few minutes late because nobody would open the doors. At the same time I am not filling out a punch correction over 3-4 minutes. I will get that back at some point throughout the year.

I do not work when guest are in the store anymore but my rule always was my break did not start until I hit the TSC doors. If I have to shop while on a 15 I typically know what I want/need or I have already killed 2 birds with one stone and grabbed it in natural passing throughout my work day. If I make it to TSC without any guest interaction I will deduct those couple minutes from my 15. However if you have some petty bosses who hold you exactly to 15 minutes thats a different story. Its a game of give and take in my opinion. I can't tell you the number of times I had to punch in a few minutes late because nobody would open the doors. At the same time I am not filling out a punch correction over 3-4 minutes. I will get that back at some point throughout the year.
Yeah...what's with them not opening the doors anyway? Many times I've wanted to use bathroom before shift or just spruce myself up or what have you.

The idiots just walk around inside pretending like they don't see us all standing outside in the rain, snow, heat...

That is incredibly unprofessional and immature way to treat people. I've often wondered, while standing out there, just WHERE they received their education or what kind of idiots they must be in personal life if THAT obnoxious in professional life.

I forgot to mention before that I'm 6'4, so heading across the etore towards t he break room, guests would spot me 4 departments away and try to flag me Dr own, hence the non-announcing on the walkie til I'd reach the Salesfloor exit.

For one thing, I don't announce my break or lunch until I'm actually headed upstairs, so I'm not on the sales floor then and that's when I start counting my break. If I have to buy something, I walk fast, walk down unpopulated aisles, and avoid making eye contact - works almost every time. The few times it doesn't, I'll answer if it's quick and refer to another TM if not.

Anyone ever be so recognizable because of your department that you can walk into your store in regular clothes (not work colors/clothes) and instantly get bothered to help someone? I’m one of those Tech Team Members who are super recognizable even in regular clothes.

Anyone ever be so recognizable because of your department that you can walk into your store in regular clothes (not work colors/clothes) and instantly get bothered to help someone? I’m one of those Tech Team Members who are super recognizable even in regular clothes.
I had a woman recognize me once when I was shopping in another big box store and ask me for help. I didn't think I was the recognizable sort, but there it was.

When I used to be a GSTL I could never get away. I could be wearing a Halloween costume it wouldn’t matter.

if a guest approaches you while your walking off the floor after announcing your break do you help? Or just ignore and keep walking?

If they get me before i hit a time clock I'll help if its simple otherwise I'll call out for a tm.
Wheres the water balloons vs "explain these smart lights"
If I'm on break i will drop my vest and gear off in the backroom sometimes on a busy day so i know i can't get bothered.
I tell them to screw off and leave the store. Fuck spot

Back