Archived Handing in two weeks paperwork

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting something on this website, however I have used it for research since I was appointed Electronics/Toys/Sporting Goods TL back in September of last year. However in the last six months, our store has had a SERIOUS issue with team morale. Ever since Christmas, more specifically our stores group DTL visit this past March, everyone has seemingly been overwhelmed by stress. Our store has been understaffed since Christmas, with no sign of improving. We are loosing experienced TM's and having them replaced with personnel who last maybe a month before resigning, and from the moment I walk in, to the moment I leave it seems to be nothing but bad news and negative feedback.

I am probably one of the more optimistic people I know, and see even the light in negatives. HOWEVER, I have had enough. I feel myself being totally drained trying to keep the morale of the team up, and I am not alone. Two other TL's have voiced concerns to me about potentially leaving the store. What's more sad, is our store is one of the higher ranking stores in our area metrics. But at what cost?

I have accepted a job with State Government, and am waiting on medical clearance before I drop my paperwork, however I would like to help change the negative environment for those teammates that are staying in role. Something has to be talked about, and done to change the turnover and keep our valued TM's in the store. I know raises can't be given to EVERYONE, so does anyone else have any ideas?

"I have accepted a job with State Government, and am waiting on medical clearance before I drop my paperwork, however I would like to help change the negative environment for those teammates that are staying in role. Something has to be talked about, and done to change the turnover and keep our valued TM's in the store. I know raises can't be given to EVERYONE, so does anyone else have any ideas?"

While your positive goal is to be commended, the fact is you aren't in a position to change Target. The ETLs/DTLs are the only ones who can fix your store - not a TL who is out the door in two weeks. A store in your situation is going to require months of work, and upper management (ETLs) need to be on board. Clearly, they aren't.

My advice as a former TL - make sure to say goodbye to everyone you can over the next two weeks. Get phone numbers/contact info from people if you don't have it already. Be happy, and try to setup your team for success as much as possible. Before I left, I gave certain TMs/TLs notes on where my departments stood, what was on the agenda for the next month, and personally I tried to get as much work in my departments done as possible because I knew a new TL wouldn't in place by the time I left.... In other words, some other TL/TM is going to be managing your departments and theirs for a while after you leave, so try to keep them in good shape.

"I have accepted a job with State Government"

I hope you realize you are pretty much set for life now.

Tell them, not to give up. There is hope for change. You did mention this morale issue on best team survey? I hope so. We are under staffed at my store & no payroll hours. I don't give up, without a fight. Be proactive & do your job to the fullest.

I hope you realize you are pretty much set for life now.

I do realize that, and it was a job I had been after BEFORE target came around. I always knew I would be leaving someday, however right now my departure is possibly in the worst time for the store; we have inventory coming up at the end of August, and I don't know if I'll be around long enough to participate (I had been appointed to lead the team). I know I don't owe anything, and it was my intent to leave things in the best of shape I can. Giving notes to the Electronics Team and my TL peers (we may have one of the interns step into my role, as he is being offered a TL spot until he graduates).

Right now, our district is suffering with Attachment rates as most of the sales are being collected from Softlines (R2W), Market and HBA. Our store has been in the red for a couple of months now, however our survey scores have remained green and HIGH (best in the group) and I would have liked to leave everything on a high note. I know this is not always possible, and since I don't control what people spend their money on it makes this one thing somewhat out of my control. However the team is great, willing to learn and make the changes needed if presented in a format that they understand. Threatening to remove them from electronics only adds to the vicious cycle that drags down morale.

I would like to change what I can, or at least leave a lasting memory with the whole team. No matter how bad things can seem, you must always find the light in those situations.

Tell them, not to give up. There is hope for change. You did mention this morale issue on best team survey? I hope so. We are under staffed at my store & no payroll hours. I don't give up, without a fight. Be proactive & do your job to the fullest.

I bring this up all the time. All the ETLs or STL will parrot back is "well, according to corporate we are fully staffed".

At the end of the day, business is business. However I disagree that the only people who can make a real difference are the ETL's and STL. The change our store needs to maintain a positive vibe begin with EVERY Team Member and TL. I refuse to be a puppet, I am the director of my own future and I want to make everyone around me feel positive. A bad streak in sales is not the end of the freaking world. Sales will pick up, the economy will pick up and people will continue to drive business.

You're right that the G, E's and S's are not the only ones who make a difference.
The problem is they are the ones who can crush the hope of anyone tries.
As a group the folks on the bottom can fight a bad bunch of bosses.
The only problem is that above them is an even worse group in the form of Spot.
If you don't have people willing to act as a filter against the acid rain from corporate, you really don't have much chance of keeping your heads from burning off.
Your only hope then is to organize.
But if you have half way decent folks (or trainable ones) it can make moral better and the work environment tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back