MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Wow... we have over 50 mannequins now if you count all the tops and legs and bra forms and what not..... I wonder if eventually it's going to be a job just to DRESS the mannequins and nothing else (because there will be so many of them). Right now our VML has hardlines TMs to work for her on table displays and one softlines TM that resets all her mannequins. Jimminies....100?

New fixturing. New mannequins that have feet to display shoe and heads to display head gear. Men's shoes will be sold in mens. I believe athlete shoes will be sold in c9. Couple of wall removals in our store. Work bench may have more info under pilot pages.

Oh so what you're telling me is that my STL is ahead of the game on this instead of ordering shit for no reason.

We're expecting our VML to spend more time in softlines once 2.0 is in full swing, but we also have a super strong softlines team so if VML is needed in hardlines it won't be a problem.

We're expecting our VML to spend more time in softlines once 2.0 is in full swing, but we also have a super strong softlines team so if VML is needed in hardlines it won't be a problem.
I think my current vml has spent two days out of softlines since she started in November. No clue how we will support the home inovation plus the 2.0

Will all stores eventually get 2.0? I know one lower-volume in our district got it some time ago, but I'm wondering if its gonna become company-wide. Our store is unique; our SL floor pad does not match any of the prototypes, so i don't even know where we put all these mannequins if we got them.

We are fortunate that the TL that will have home is a strong merchandiser. It is a skill that Target doesn't really teach. So the VML can stay in SL if needed.

52 feet of boys and girls sock wall....the POG sent by corporate was for Reverse setting but our boys and girls sock wall has to be set in standard because the lead aisle is on the opposite side. You'd think this would be a simple matter of tying it Standard and then printing the schematics. So I tied it in Standard but turns out the dumb thing still printed in reverse even though the POG label at the top left with the POG number said Standard up top. What a day... -_-

Part of the problem is that Target doesn't have big girls (7 - 16), and little girls (4 - 6x) like the rest of the retail world. I happen to like things from both brands, but there are things in Art Class that I wouldn't put on my 4 year old. Likewise, no 12 year old wants to dress like her kindergarten age sister.

Maybe she has a child in the Elementary school who is taking part in a Dr Seuss birthday celebration. I know my daughters at that age had Dr Seuss parties and some of the kids would wear those "cat in the hat" hats.... So it seems reasonable an older child in elementary school might want a Seuss outfit for that day. Plus elementary kids are reading Dr Seuss so it isn't unreasonable to think that they would like the shirts. :)

I guess that makes sense, but idk I think most elementary-age kids would find that stuff babyish. I don't think it would sell in the big kids' sizes, at least in my store. I'm right outside a large city and the kids here are very into trends and wearing what the teens and adults are wearing.

I agree. It would never sell for older children but as someone pointed out we have all our girls lumped together from size 4 to size 16. If I was them I would have made it for sizes XS - M... and not for the L and XL sizes. Because you're right the big kids would find that too babyish... the older elementary kids and the middle school kids would never wear it unless they were crazy Seuss fans and there would be too few of them to be worth the investment. But my girls were having these parties for Seuss up till 3rd grade. That's the only reason I mentioned it. :)

Yeah I guess you're right. Maybe just for the smaller girls' sizes would sell. We just have a lotta guests who love our infant clothes but not the kids' sizes. Not sure why, I think a lot of our infant and kids clothes are really cute

Trying to compare my store to others; If you work in an A volume store with a pretty big softlines dept, how many zones are you getting each night? I've been coming in 5;30-close and getting inf hl, inf sl, boys, girls, int, & hosiery. I just feel so overwhelmed with the amount of work and wondering if I'm being overworked or if I'm just weak.

Trying to compare my store to others; If you work in an A volume store with a pretty big softlines dept, how many zones are you getting each night? I've been coming in 5;30-close and getting inf hl, inf sl, boys, girls, int, & hosiery. I just feel so overwhelmed with the amount of work and wondering if I'm being overworked or if I'm just weak.

What time is closing? For us you'd be working 5:30 to 11:30pm. That would be 6 hours but for us you'd knock off an hour for break/lunch. So zoning for 5 hrs? It's doable but not if you're trying to be perfect. I'd recommend giving yourself a time limit per dept. Make sure tables are folded and the floor is picked up and zone from the outside in when it comes to racks. If you run out of time (the time you've allotted yourself for that dept) before you reach the inside then make sure it's picked up and move on. If you manage to finish all depts then you can go back and fix the middles proper like. If not, then your areas are at least presentable from the racetrack. I know all stores are not the same but in our store the hosiery and intimates dept would just be a pick up - making sure there are no bras, panties, or socks/hose, on the floor and nothing in the dept that doesn't belong and that wouldn't take more than half an hour. Girls and NIT (infant softlines) generally take the longest. The difficulty comes in when they ask you to go help the front lanes with guest first. Make sure you keep track of how much time you spend at the registers...you need all 5 of those hours to really get those depts done. I'd be about 60-75 minutes in girls, 30-45 minutes in boys, 90 minutes in NIT, 60 minutes in infant HL, and 30 minutes picking up in hosiery/intimates. That's actually 5 hrs max there. But that's how I'd do it.

And Hardlinesmaster is right.... we're all understaffed, especially when it comes to hours. :) I told my STL we can get it done in the time allotted but not at the past level of perfection. If they want it done faster they're going to have to be willing to accept less perfect. Something has to give.

Back