Archived Has anyone ever applied for Target HQ jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you share your experience? I applied through Target (my ETL and HR get an email everytime I apply for a position) and I haven't heard anything yet. I am going to talk to my HR tomorrow and see what's going on but I am affraid she won't have much info. Stores and HQ are 2 different worlds it seems.

WWYD?

From what I've heard about the way retail organizations typically work, store-level TMs rarely (if ever) make it to the corporate level. The average TM, if they are very, very fortunate, may be able to make it to STL level and if a miracle occurs may even make it to DTL level, but that's about it. Corporate level, they want someone with a college degree who probably never held a store-level position in their life. :disappoint:

Sorry if that sounds pessimistic; I certainly don't mean to dissuade you from following this if it's something you really want. I wish you the very best of luck! :)

I applied for a number of graphic design, media, print positions, and store Exec positions. Never received a call back or anything. I then decided...Do I really want to live up in Minneapolis during a winter. No. I lived up in Iowa for a winter and that was bad enough.

From what an ETL told me one time, a job at Corp is very hard to get. Usually they are looking at people from other companies, through professional headhunters/recruiters, people with tons of experience, or people with Masters degrees.

Yeah I am a store-level Team Member BUT I have a Mater's degree and some previous experience at fortune 500 companies in executive positions. I also live in Minnesota.
I'll ask my HR.

From what I've heard about the way retail organizations typically work, store-level TMs rarely (if ever) make it to the corporate level. The average TM, if they are very, very fortunate, may be able to make it to STL level and if a miracle occurs may even make it to DTL level, but that's about it. Corporate level, they want someone with a college degree who probably never held a store-level position in their life. :disappoint:

Sorry if that sounds pessimistic; I certainly don't mean to dissuade you from following this if it's something you really want. I wish you the very best of luck! :)

An average TM with a bachelor's degree does not have to be very very fortunate to be an STL... Maybe if they are trying to get their in a specific amount of time, but as long as u show loyalty TL the company, put the effort in, keep an open mind to change and maybe brown nose occasionally (haha)... There is no reason why anyone can shoot for STL as a goal. DTL might take a little luck and mean that I'm with Target for longggg time (although I definitely wouldn't say no the position.)

I can name 3 people (without trying overly hard) that have made it from TM to BP in the last 3 years. This forum is starting to give 0 hope to those that want to advance in the company. It's not hard. I'm doing it....and doing it fast. I'm not straight out of college. I don't have prior retail experience. I'm not a young pup. I'm doing it the old fashion way. I'm everything that everyone here says can't be done. Anyone that wants to do it, can. Period. However, whining and griping should be left at home.

In no way am I bragging. I just want others, that want some actual positive feedback, to realize that it's not hard to do. Just work. Do your job. Smile. How hard is that? A 100k/yr job isn't going to land in your lap. The government isn't going to start cutting checks for you to sit around and be an oaf. Get up and go do your job.....being a productive member of society.

I can name 3 people (without trying overly hard) that have made it from TM to BP in the last 3 years. This forum is starting to give 0 hope to those that want to advance in the company. It's not hard. I'm doing it....and doing it fast. I'm not straight out of college. I don't have prior retail experience. I'm not a young pup. I'm doing it the old fashion way. I'm everything that everyone here says can't be done. Anyone that wants to do it, can. Period. However, whining and griping should be left at home.

In no way am I bragging. I just want others, that want some actual positive feedback, to realize that it's not hard to do. Just work. Do your job. Smile. How hard is that? A 100k/yr job isn't going to land in your lap. The government isn't going to start cutting checks for you to sit around and be an oaf. Get up and go do your job.....being a productive member of society.

Bravo :D you tell em

People move up in my store all the time, and some recently have moved up into corporate.

Some stores are broken & tm morale maybe low. I try hard to stay postive & work hard. My reason is because I love spot & been there for over 10 years. I am an old folkie too.

HLM-- I personally believe that the low team moral that most stores are experiencing is not a side effect of Target, but instead a side effect of the world we live in today. TV depicts all these fun wonderful things we can have, live in, and drive if a we just have a good time doing whatever it is we do. Obviously, reality TV is nowhere near. The fact is (again, this is my opinion), many Americans are depressed and overstretched because they have an inaccurate depiction of what reality is. Reality does not look like anything you will see on your 55" flat screen, that streams HD garbage to your brain 24/7/365. The reality is, you start at minimum wage and over time you move up. Ta da! It's not rocket science. Americans have lost the ability to be patient. Everyone needs to cancel their cable service, get off their phones, and try life without Facebook (DO WHAT?!?!?!). Morale could be higher in stores, but the drive to actually work and care has to be re-instilled in American workers. Target is not broken. American values are.

That is true. Real values are missing. The sad part is, you go up to teeny bopper & ask that question. They will say, what? While texting away...
I am patient & a good listener. I have no hd tv, slightly used cell phone & laptop, then my touch. No fb for me, I got the forum for that!

Or there is the other direction, as someone who grew up with only 3 TV channels and a party line for a telephone but parents who stood firmly in the "Life isn't fair so people have to be" camp, I grew up in a country where there was more unions, more products made in America, and corporations kinda had to pretend they cared about their employees.
I understand that the world changes, I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm still waiting for my flying car and the base on the moon dammit but there are things happening that have made life much worse for the working man just to line the pockets of the fat cats.

Last edited:
HLM-- I personally believe that the low team moral that most stores are experiencing is not a side effect of Target, but instead a side effect of the world we live in today. TV depicts all these fun wonderful things we can have, live in, and drive if a we just have a good time doing whatever it is we do. Obviously, reality TV is nowhere near. The fact is (again, this is my opinion), many Americans are depressed and overstretched because they have an inaccurate depiction of what reality is. Reality does not look like anything you will see on your 55" flat screen, that streams HD garbage to your brain 24/7/365. The reality is, you start at minimum wage and over time you move up. Ta da! It's not rocket science. Americans have lost the ability to be patient. Everyone needs to cancel their cable service, get off their phones, and try life without Facebook (DO WHAT?!?!?!). Morale could be higher in stores, but the drive to actually work and care has to be re-instilled in American workers. Target is not broken. American values are.

Oh my goodness, you sound like my husband! He tells me this all the time, lol, I just never listen. I am going to stick to your advice in my pursuit of advancement, maybe if I can keep my steam boat chugging, something good will happen.

Rio, it will happen if you can make it happen. I know that you will be a etl or a mgr one day. Don't give up!

I'm not sure how valuable my experience will be in this matter, since I never worked in a store, but I'll give it to you anyway. I submitted my resume to my local recruiter for an ETL Intern position. Then a few months later I pretty much forgot that I had applied, and I got an email from a recruiter at corporate. She said that the other recruiter had passed on my resume to her and they thought that I might be suited for the Business Analyst Intern position at corporate.

My first phone interview didn't go great (I was really nervous), but the recruiter was awesome and offered me a second interview and told me how I could better prepare for it. The second interview went really well and after a drug test she offered me the position. After my 10 week internship at corporate they offered me a full time position, which I accepted.

I've seen two TLs and a number of ETLs transfer to corporate from my store. I happen to live in the Birthplace of Spot so perhaps that makes some kind of difference. I know in the case of one of the TLs, she took a low-level position to get her foot in the door figuring she'd look for opportunities to move later.

Back when I was a TM, I talked with my STL about moving up to corporate into some sort of analyst or development position (I have my BS). He said he would put in the good word for me and give me some names of the Upper HR's in MN for me to talk to if i was really interested. He did say it was just as fast paced as store life, and very competitive. Looking back I'm glad i stayed in Florida :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back