Archived Has anyone worked at Walmart before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

has anyone here worked at Walmart before and can offer some opinions on pros and cons of working for Target and Walmart please? I searched the forum and the information is a bit old....I might need to switch to Walmart to get closer to home, but don't want crazy customers or pressure...

Thanks!

which one is more stressful? I know it differs by stores but dont want to work to hard either...

Hi,

has anyone here worked at Walmart before and can offer some opinions on pros and cons of working for Target and Walmart please? I searched the forum and the information is a bit old....I might need to switch to Walmart to get closer to home, but don't want crazy customers or pressure...

Thanks!

Yikes, don't. Check out my thread here for more details: CTT's adventures at Walmart megathread (TL;DR warning) - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/ctts-adventures-at-walmart-megathread-tl-dr-warning.19074/

thanks @can't touch this , this is great! the only thing is i heard that they have this bonus called myShare that can go up to $600/quarter?!!! and it's apparently not hard to get if you are in a good store? From what I hear, all you had to do was to have your store hit a sales target, and have a clean store, which is not hard if your store is in a good location...is that your experience? how hard is it to get those bonuses/ what do you need to do?

thanks bud!

thanks @can't touch this , this is great! the only thing is i heard that they have this bonus called myShare that can go up to $600/quarter?!!! and it's apparently not hard to get if you are in a good store? From what I hear, all you had to do was to have your store hit a sales target, and have a clean store, which is not hard if your store is in a good location...is that your experience? how hard is it to get those bonuses/ what do you need to do?

thanks bud!

The first year I was there I got a bonus of $300-ish if I recall correctly, and it was a once a year thing. The next year they wheedled it down to about $30-40 per associate, and the year after that it was zero and they gave everyone a one-time 20% employee discount during the week of Christmas instead. It may have changed since I was there but I know by the time I left, only managers got bonuses.

Honestly when you account for all the wild ass shit you'll be dealing with, even a $600 quarterly bonus isn't worth it. You'll look at it and be like, "this ought to be at least five grand" lol

Back in February I left Target and started at Walmart for various reasons. Went from working flow and receiving to CAP-2, which is basically flow team except we only unload the trucks then stock consumables.

Working for Walmart is shit, and it isn't. I'm getting paid less per hour but I'm making more, thanks to getting 40 hours a week, every week, with occasional overtime. The schedule is consistent, but tiring (I work 2p-11p and have a 30-minute drive one way). There's no time and a half for holidays, but the MyShare payout at this store seems to be $200-300 from talking to coworkers, so yay? Haven't gotten one yet because I'm still in my 6 months, but will qualify just in time for the next one I think. The atmosphere's less toxic here than the Target I worked at and it's done wonders for the amount of stress I was under just six months ago.

It's not a job that I plan on doing for too long but for where I'm at in my life right now, it works. Maybe once some background things have settled I'll look at transferring work centers or finding a job closer to home.

ohhh gosh I feel super bad for anyone that has to work at Walmart good luck I wouldn’t ever recommend working there. I see how the workers are there they probably hate their life and the people they deal with not that target doesn’t have weirdo people at some point but Walmart seems like a terriable place to work! Good luck!

Red is hot hot hot :D Blue is cold as ice and just as unwelcoming.

Reactions: TTB
One of my best friends works in the liquor department there. She said the liquor area was an improvement over working in the main part of the store. But she still hates it.

Is it even possible for anyone to LOVE retail work?
I used to really like working at Target - it was fun with a good TL, long enough shifts to get to take breaks with friends, fairly regularly being asked to stay longer. All of that went away - the good TL left and was replaced by an awful one, the shifts are short, hardly ever asked to stay and finish truck. (That last part probably explains why I keep finding things stocked in wrong places.) Plus with the changes e2e brought, I was taken out of an area I really liked and was good at.
I still enjoy interactions with guests in the area I work most often.

Is it even possible for anyone to LOVE retail work?
I enjoyed working at Target until our new ETL arrived and turned my workcenter into micromanagement central. Morale is in the toilet and I think Supermax prisoners have more freedom. More fun, too, probably.

I think it can be fun--I don't mind it most of the time. I like being able to move around, and it can be fun to talk to guests and help them find stuff (our guests, on average, do not suck).

But our store has a good environment, and while there are TMs that suck, leadership doesn't and several of the more frustrating HL TMs got a Talking To recently so management doesn't just ignore the issues. It's not all sunshine & rainbows & unicorn farts, but no job is perfect and it's not a bad gig, overall.

Though I imagine, like any job, the biggest difference is the people you work with and work for. If your managers and/or coworkers suck, your job is going to suck the life out of you no matter what.

Pretty sure a supermax prison is a bit worse than any retail job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back