Archived Has your store ever closed for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it take for a store to close for the day? There's nothing but very slippery ice on the roads to the point where my dad was coming to pick me up and slid off the road and called and told me he couldn't make it because it's too dangerous and everyone on the road had to go like 5 mph. I called in and told them I'm not gonna be able to come in and asked if anyone else was calling out and she said they're taking it " case by case " I honestly don't know how the people who are actually there were able to make it since it's so bad here. Anyone else experience this?

One time my entire district closed during a freak blizzard for a day. We were told that we were never to do that again. Ever.

We rarely get severe enough weather to warrant closing the store. We did close for almost a whole day due to a code red, but that's the worst we've had since I was hired.

My store didn't even close for Sandy. I believe they opened late the day after the storm hit, but otherwise, the store was open. I didn't work for a couple days after that, but I did go to Target at one point because nothing else was open. Took hours to find a route there from where I was staying. It's weird going to work when you have to go home to the freezing cold and darkness. I didn't have power for about 3 weeks.

One time the snow was so bad that it took me an hour to get to work versus half an hour, and when I finally arrived, my STL just thanked me for showing up. We've never closed.

I was on the closing team that closed a store early - twice.

One was due to a blizzard that shutdown the roads (state of emergency, no public transportation) the DTL made the call to shut us down at 7pm on a Wednesday.
Second was due to Sandy. We closed at 7pm the day following the storm. We had no power for a week, and the local community had no power for a few days after the storm. We were in the dark store with no guest traffic for two hours. Zone was perfect. Couldn't pull anything from the back because the PDAs wouldn't work in the backroom. Either way, the BR was in the basement and we weren't hauling the autofills up the steps even if we could've gotten PDAs to work back there. STL made the call to shut it down and send people home instead of just waiting around.

Our store was closed because someone decided to clog all the toliets with paper which resulted in everything coming back up somehow which resulted in at least 1/4th of the store's floor covered in liquid shit, mainly the front end. Store was closed for guests; not for us who had to clean some of it up. Smelled faintly for weeks after.

Every snow is a snowpocalypse according to the national media. The world is ending, dontcha know?

Don't even get me started. Where I live, we get a lake effect. I spent a good amount of time shoveling at my other job tonight, and when I was done, all the sidewalks were completely covered again. But........that's how it is every year around here.

Fire during remodel...closed half day. Big freeking blizard..closed half a day. Superstorm Sandy..clossed early and opened late. Lost power that night for 5 hours so closed early again. FYI..since Target has a pharmacy and sells food TM's are considered "essential personell". At least that's the line I was given. In NJ, if the governor declares a state of emergency and you are not ALLOWED to drive to work you do not get paid because there is no law in NJ that says Target has to. (Even though they should).

April 2011 tornado outbreak in the south.

Closed early the day they hit (about 6) and then stayed closed for 1 day.

The whole town was without power for about 7-10 days. I got lucky; mine was back on the next day (I live about 15-20 miles away), and I worked every day, open to close (like 9-6 or something like that, they had curfews in place) until the town got power back (I would've felt terrible if I hadn't.)

My store closed early on Monday at 5pm, instead of 10pm about 7 or 8 years ago. This was due to a big snowstorm. Was called about 1:20pm to tell me to stay home. Did have a bad snowstorm a few months that causes lots of call-ins and thus caused us to close The Target Cafe early.

Also my ex-sister-in-law's old store near Chicago was closed a few years back, due to a snowstorm. She tried calling in, but got no answer until late in the day

We've never closed. A couple years back the snow was so bad that they declared a driving ban in my city and no one but emergency vehicles were allowed on the roads. It was literally illegal for us to go to work but we were open.

we closed twice ever, once because of a gas leak up the street and the evac-ed the whole area, and another time cause of a bank robbery stand off thingy involving a bomb. we have terrible weather al the time, blizzards, ice storms etc.. but they never close for that.

twice....state of emergency and when we didn't have electricity for over 36 hours....didn't close until hour 12 I think it was.

We didn't even close for any of the gas leaks

We had a hurricane off shore, the cinder block walls were weeping with water, ceiling tiles falling in because the roof was leaking, half of the store roped off because of water falling from the roof, a tornado warning 2 miles west of us, but no closure.

We've had only one working register and still welcomed more guest in with open arms direction them to Starbucks and hoping they bring their order to said register. We'd certainly never close for weather even if there were a giant storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back