Archived Health Insurance Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asked if I was interested in staying for 2018.

I would like to get some clarification on health insurance been offered and/or subsidized by Target.

I currently purchase my health insurance via the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). My health insurance receives tax credits based on my income as well as cost subsidies.

I like my health insurance via the Affordable Care Act and would prefer not to lose it.

My questions are these:

How many hours do I have to work in a year to be eligible to purchase Target health insurance?

How many hours do I have to work per week to be eligible to purchase Target health insurance?

Is the number hours required based on the previous calendar year or a rolling 12 month year?

Is there a certain number of hours in a year to stay under that will prevent me from being eligible to purchase Target health insurance?

Merry Christmas!

Welcome!
You need to average 31.5 hours a week & worked 1000 hours for spot.
From target pay site:
As a Target Stores Team Member, you are eligible for:

At date of hire:
 Team Member Discount
  •  Team Member LifeResources
  •  NurseLine
  •  Travel Accident

At 6 months* if you average 19.5-29.49 hours per week:
  •  Vacation- You begin to accrue and can start using vacation
  •  Sick Hours (CA, HI, NJ, NY, RI)
  •  Bereavement (Funeral) Pay

At 6 months* if you average 29.5 hours or more per week:
  •  Personal Holidays (up to 2 days)- You begin to accrue and can start using personal holiday time
  •  National Holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas)

Additional benefits at 12 months* if you average 19.5-29.49 hours per week:
  •  Dental
  •  Daycare Flexible Spending Account (Daycare FSA)
  •  Group Legal Plan
  •  Adoption Assistance
  •  Life Insurance (Target Paid, Supplemental, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent Life)
  •  Short-Term Disability (team members in California, Hawaii**, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have disability insurance through their state Disability Program, not through Target’s Short-Term Disability Plan)
  •  Long-Term Disability

Additional benefits at 12 months* if you average 29.5 or more hours per week:
  •  Medical
  •  Dental
  •  Vision Eyewear Plan, available with medical enrollment
  •  Life Insurance (Target Paid, Supplemental, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent Life)
  •  Short-Term Disability (team members in California, Hawaii**, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have disability insurance through their state’s Disability Program, not through Target’s Short-Term Disability Plan).

•  Long-Term Disability
  •  Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (Healthcare FSA)
  •  Group Legal Plan
  •  Adoption Assistance

Here is a quote from HRZone:

As a team member it's 1 year of service and 1200 hours worked to get benefits. You also need to average 29.5 hours per week to qualify for health insurance.

Cost options and plans depend on where you live. I would ask your store HR about that
For more info, check out more posts from this existing thread:
https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/health-insurance.17844/
Thanks
Hrlady

Welcome!
You need to average 31.5 hours a week & worked 1000 hours for spot.
From target pay site:

At date of hire:
 Team Member Discount
  •  Team Member LifeResources
  •  NurseLine
  •  Travel Accident

•  Personal Holidays (up to 2 days)- You begin to accrue and can start using personal holiday time
  •  National Holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas)

•  Dental
  •  Group Legal Plan
  •  Adoption Assistance
  •  Short-Term Disability (team members in California, Hawaii**, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have disability insurance through their state Disability Program, not through Target’s Short-Term Disability Plan)
  •  Long-Term Disability

•  Medical
  •  Dental
  •  Vision Eyewear Plan, available with medical enrollment
  •  Short-Term Disability (team members in California, Hawaii**, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have disability insurance through their state’s Disability Program, not through Target’s Short-Term Disability Plan).

•  Long-Term Disability
  •  Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (Healthcare FSA)
  •  Group Legal Plan
  •  Adoption Assistance

Thank you for the response and information. I could not find that anywhere on eHR.

So if I average under 29.5 hours per week for the year, I will not be eligible to purchase or receive health insurance from Target? As a part-time team member, that should be easy to do since any big hour weeks in the 4th quarter should easily be offset by low hour weeks from January to October.

That means I can keep my health insurance that I receive from the Affordable Care Act's marketplace?

If your employer doesn't provide insurance you can keep your ACA insurance and your subsidy. If they do offer it you can still keep your ACA insurance but I think it affects your subsidy.

ACA is going to be in a bit of a limbo until the midterms, if the Republicans keep the majority or get more seats it'll be lights out for it. If the winds are changing the Democrats may be able to prop it back up.

Last edited:
So if I average under 29.5 hours per week for the year, I will not be eligible to purchase or receive health insurance from Target? As a part-time team member, that should be easy to do since any big hour weeks in the 4th quarter should easily be offset by low hour weeks from January to October.

Remind me of your workcenter?

You're going to have to really hustle to keep your hours up. The hours don't truly get bad until February and march. My store is at 3100 for January week one and that was with a lot of cuts. In February we get down to around 2200 as a store.

Less than 10 percent of the team members at my store qualify for health insurance.

Generally it's pretty easy for a receiver, plano, pricing, hr, gsa, TPS, etc. To get health insurance since those hours don't fluctuate too much.

The other work centers aren't always so fortunate

Remind me of your workcenter?

You're going to have to really hustle to keep your hours up. The hours don't truly get bad until February and march. My store is at 3100 for January week one and that was with a lot of cuts. In February we get down to around 2200 as a store.

Less than 10 percent of the team members at my store qualify for health insurance.

Generally it's pretty easy for a receiver, plano, pricing, hr, gsa, TPS, etc. To get health insurance since those hours don't fluctuate too much.

The other work centers aren't always so fortunate

I am part-time hardlines. I sometimes get moved to cashier or electronics when I arrive for my shift depending on the store's needs or callouts.

So there is nothing to worry about since I won't get anywhere near the 29.5 hours per week average?

If I don't average 29.5 hours, I won't qualify for health insurance?

I really want to keep my marketplace health plan. I guarantee it is soooooooo much better than anything Target is offering.

Yeah i totally misread your post you want to keep your hours down. under 29.5 and you won't be offered the insurance correct.

I would rather make more money and pay for my own insurance but if you have a lot of health needs I can get doing the opposite

Yeah i totally misread your post you want to keep your hours down. under 29.5 and you won't be offered the insurance correct.

I would rather make more money and pay for my own insurance but if you have a lot of health needs I can get doing the opposite
People on the ACA Insurance are often still paying a premium, copays and deductibles

I really want to keep my marketplace health plan. I guarantee it is soooooooo much better than anything Target is offering.
It obviously depends on your healthcare needs, but my Target plan is far better and far less expensive than the ACA plan I switched from. I actually chose to go without it and pay the fine for the first few months of this year before my Target plan kicked in.

Last edited:
It obviously depends on your healthcare needs, but my Target plan is far better and far less expensive than the ACA plan I switched from. I actually chose to go without it and pay the fine for the first few months of this year before my Target plan kicked in.

Same here. I would pay 4 times as much for an ACA plan with the same benefits as the target plan. I also get lots of other great benefits as a full time TM.

Sorry to poke an old thread, but can anyone direct me to the PDF with the info that Hardlinesmaster posted? I had found it once or twice and saved it for reference, but that laptop is out of commission, and I can't for the life of me find it again.

Sorry to poke an old thread, but can anyone direct me to the PDF with the info that Hardlinesmaster posted? I had found it once or twice and saved it for reference, but that laptop is out of commission, and I can't for the life of me find it again.
Which part? vacation, 401k, benefits? Some of it is out of date. Info is located on targetpayand benefits.com. I do have copies if you need them.

Last edited:
All of it? That bulleted list. Just a month or two ago, I'd found whatever the current version is and saved it, but I can't access that copy anymore or find it again.

All of it? That bulleted list. Just a month or two ago, I'd found whatever the current version is and saved it, but I can't access that copy anymore or find it again.
Here it is. From my phone, sorry.
WHEN AM I ELIGIBLE FOR BENEFITS? 2018
At date of hire:
 Team Member Discount
 Team Member LifeResources
 Business Travel Accident
 Vacation
 Sick Hours (CA, NJ, NY, RI and locations where legislated)
 Bereavement (Funeral) Pay
 Vacation
 Sick Hours (CA, NJ, NY, RI and locations where legislated)
 Short-term Disability (team members in California, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have disability insurance through their state
Disability Program, not through Target’s Short-term Disability Plan)
 Bereavement (Funeral) Pay
 Personal Holidays
 National Holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas)
 Well-being Time
 Supplemental Medical (Accident, Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness)
 Dental (coverage for Spouse/DP available in Basic Dental Plan only)
 Daycare Flexible Spending Account (Daycare FSA)
 Identity Theft Protection
 Group Legal Plan
 Adoption Reimbursement
 Life Insurance (Company Paid, Supplemental, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent Life)
 Paid Parental Leave
 Long-term Disability
 Medical
 Supplemental Medical (Accident, Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness)
 Dental
 Vision Eyewear Plan, available with medical enrollment
 Life Insurance (Company Paid, Supplemental, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent Life)
 Paid Parental Leave
 Long-term Disability
 Health Care Flexible Spending Account (Health Care FSA)
 Daycare Flexible Spending Account (Daycare FSA)
 Identity Theft Protection
 Group Legal Plan
 Adoption Reimbursement
*See the “Initial Benefits Eligibility Calculation” section.
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR BENEFITS?
Please see your Summary Plan Description (SPD) for information regarding who is not eligible for benefits.
WHAT ARE SUMMARY PLAN DESCRIPTIONS (SPDS)?
SPDs are the primary reference for information about your Target Benefits. SPDs are the documents that summarize each of the benefit plans for which you are eligible or will become eligible. They will be available to you when you become eligible for the plans. Target will provide updates annually, if needed, to keep the SPDs current.

Hey. Why do you need health insurance, if you can buy a car insurance, which includes health insurance of the driver and passengers?) This is especially beneficial to those who almost sleep in the car) Personally, I treat to such people) I just work as a taxi driver, and purchased cheap taxi insurance, which includes health insurance of the driver and passengers) Seriously, one day my car had an accident, and passengers were injured like me. You know what? This company paid compensation to me, the passengers, and also repaired my car )
Lol what in spam hell.

I'm surprised the insurance company wasn't named, so we can all rush to sign up. Or at least a link, for click bait.

Weird, the link shows on my phone but didn't on my computer.

Any one know if our avg hrs goes down and we lose some of our insurance if we lose it immediately or in Apr with the new sign ups?

Any one know if our avg hrs goes down and we lose some of our insurance if we lose it immediately or in Apr with the new sign ups?
As long as you make enough to pay it, you keep it until your hours make you ineligible. Right now I am averaging 26.5 and I’m sure it will be lower the end of the year. I just have insurance for myself, so as long as I work enough to afford it I’ll be fine.
A team mate paid $250 or so a check for his family, but his hours dropped and he didn’t make enough to pay it therefore it lapsed.

This is where working at the store level blows compared to working at corporate. I looked online and compared the health benefits eligiblity for corporate staff and store hourly staff. If you get hired for a corporate level job, your eligibility for health coverage is the first day of the month following the month in which you were hired. If you were hired on 6-27, you'd be eligible on 8-1. The vacation pay package is more generous and there are some benefits not offered to hourly store TMs like vision care. Again, this is even for low-level jobs and not just managers and execs. This basically reflects the value the labor market places on store hourly staff in retail stores, not a situation unique to Target. Target's pay is a bit better than other places, and some of the benefits are okay, but it's not as good as what's offered to other staff working for the same company and a lot of TMs simply aren't "eligible". By contrast, Costco's health coverage and benefits are the same for all employees throughout the company. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back