Archived Hearing that most Macy's stores will open at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I would rather it be open at 6 or earlier, that way it doesn't mess up my sleep schedule. I can go in for a shift about 3 hours before opening on Thursday for 8-10 hours, then go home and sleep normally wake up and come in for my next shift. Instead of trying to take a nap on thanksgiving, staying up until 5 or 6 in the morning, then going home and trying to fall asleep (which won't really happen for more then a couple hours) and then wake up and go back in.

I wish that Target would stop being the followers and be a leader.
People would be very pleasantly surprised if Target said "Let's get back to family values," be closed on Thanksgiving and then have us open regular time on Friday.....or a bit earlier.

If Target would announce the opening time soon and if schedules could be written, then it would give TMs a bit of a chance to try to arrange Thanksgiving time with family or friends.....but this crap of telling us so late is just plain stupid.

Walmart hasn't announced its sales yet either. It's so freaking ridiculous.
The schedules are usually posted two weeks in advance on Friday. That would mean that schedule would be posted tomorrow, but there's no way they will. They'll drag that out as long as possible even if they already know, which I'm sure they do.
I cheered when my mom told me that she and my dad are going to my sister's for Thanksgiving. I won't have to deal with squeezing in family time that day. It shouldn't be like that but it is what it is.
I can deal with making up for it at Christmas. We are guaranteed to have Christmas Eve off.

Last edited:
The schedules are usually posted two weeks in advance on Friday. That would mean that schedule would be posted tomorrow, but there's no way they will. They'll drag that out as long as possible even if they already know, which I'm sure they do.
I cheered when my mom told me that she and my dad are going to my sister's for Thanksgiving. I won't have to deal with squeezing in family time that day. It shouldn't be like that but it is what it is.
I can deal with making up for it at Christmas. We are guaranteed to have Christmas Eve off.

We've still got another week for that...

6 am for K-Mart?? eeks...... Imagine if Target did that....... I would seriously cry!

IF we open from 6-8 or so...how dead do you think the middle of the night will be....If stores are opening as early as 6 do you think alot of the typical black friday early shoppers will be there for the first few hour rush and then be completely dead until the morning around 7 or so when the normal people shop.

I think if we open at 6 it will probably be pretty busy from 6-9 or 10 and then be a complete ghost town from 10-6am or so.

IF we open from 6-8 or so...how dead do you think the middle of the night will be....If stores are opening as early as 6 do you think alot of the typical black friday early shoppers will be there for the first few hour rush and then be completely dead until the morning around 7 or so when the normal people shop.

I think if we open at 6 it will probably be pretty busy from 6-9 or 10 and then be a complete ghost town from 10-6am or so.

I think we will just have a repeat of last year only everything is shifted a little earlier. Where it gets even stupider is we will do that staggered sales to try and keep it busy the whole time.

Those staggered doorbusters did nothing for us last year. I remember they thought there was going to be a huge rush for this TV that went on sale at 1 or 2 in the morning, and there were only 4 or 5 people lined up outside of our receiving doors for it. We were dead from midnight until 7am.

Those staggered doorbusters did nothing for us last year. I remember they thought there was going to be a huge rush for this TV that went on sale at 1 or 2 in the morning, and there were only 4 or 5 people lined up outside of our receiving doors for it. We were dead from midnight until 7am.
I was out with my boyfriend last year and we were one of like 10 people in WM at 2:30am. They started lining up as he was finally ready to go for the 6am deals. But it was dead everywhere we drove by at that time.

I worked an afternoon shift last year on black friday, but I heard our store was dead from about 12:30AM until 8ish.. then it was like a normal saturday for us. I miss opening at 6AM.. even 4AM.. on black friday. Seems like it wastes so much payroll.

True if indeed we do get a 6 PM opening it will be a total ghost town after say midnight? I know at my store once we hit 4 am on it was a total ghost town so just imagine if we open earlier how bad it will be. They were sending people home last year but some people couldn't leave because the public transit wasn't operating at the time or their husbands wouldn't pick them up at that time lol.

The Associated Press has reported that Target announced an 8PM opening for Thanksgiving night/Black Friday.

Yup I heard that too so and the schedule rolls out next week so it must be true. I know even with the 8 PM opening it'll be dead after say 3 ish?with all of the other stores opening up at 8 PM I know that was the case for my store we were a ghost town at 4 am but hey things can change.

Our schedule was pre wrote for 8pm so we got lucky. We're going around to all team members confirming they can open/mid/close or whatever and then releasing it. Shouldn't require too many changes though.

I'll be there at 7pm if anyone would like to join me for dinner!

I heard at work today that Walmart is opening at 10pm? Not sure how true that is though. But man... talk about being bitter over that one if it is.

I hope it's true. Everyone follows walmart haha (they did 8pm last year, and now everyone who opened later is doing 8 or earlier.), so if they move later, then next year, maybe everyone else will follow that example.

Confirmed 6pm at Walmart on thanksgiving.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...hours-2013_n_4256542.html?utm_hp_ref=business

I don't remember the pay schedule for Thanksgiving. TLs get pay, plus holiday pay, plus shift differential between ? and 8 am? Team Members get what?

Last year it was time and a half for the Thanksgiving part + $1 for the shift differential, but I don't remember the hours that the shift diff applied to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back