Archived Hearing that most Macy's stores will open at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked into Macy's today and they were playing Silver Bells on the overhead. I was seriously considering knocking down a wall of fine china.

If nothing else the one decent thing about working for Spot was that unless you were walking past the music endcap you didn't have to listen to Xmas music.

What, you don't like Christmas Shoes? :D Other than that song, I'd be able to handle Christmas music in the store. It's the rest of the year's music (see: top 40) that would drive me nuts.

I was told they would be announcing it on the monday the 11th. My STL and ETL's are preparing to open at 6pm and my ETL has told me to plan on that as well and have made some mock schedules for that day with a 6pm start time.

I asked the LOD the other day and he said that it hasn't been decided yet, BUT it may be 8PM. When I asked him about Macy's opening at 6PM he said he hadn't heard about that, but didn't think we'd open that early. I just wish they'd tell us already. Especially those with large families, so that arrangements could be made early. I'm hoping that if I have to open Black Friday(?) that I'll get Saturday off. If it's anything like last year though, I'll have to work all weekend. Sometimes I hate having open availability, but it gets me great hours so I try not to complain too much.

I love (soul/motown) Christmas music. I've decided that since Target has likely canceled Thanksgiving that I can start the jingle bells and such now. I don't do Christmas Shoes. If when the schedule goes up, it doesn't say I'm opening, I'll stop all Christmas music until my Thanksgiving dinner is on my plate.

Listening to Cee Lo's Christmas album now. If Thanksgiving had music, no one would skip over it. I actually used to prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas, but eh, Christmas is the only big meal holiday I get to have thanks to retail. I didn't even have any of the big bbq holidays off this year.

I will just add what I've heard to the mix. We were told to be prepared for 6 p.m. opening. What I find really horrible is the fact that it's already November 1st and the company (or at least my store) still hasn't confirmed the time. So I'm assuming 6 p.m. is going to be it. I've worked retail for more years than I care to remember. I know that this time of year, all bets are off and I should be thankful for a job, etc. But honestly, opening right at dinner time for some people? That's sad. They say they will try to give team members the schedule they like, but lets face it they're going to need a certain amount of team members at 6 p.m. and if not a lot volunteer, some will be forced. I've said this in the past and these past years have confirmed it, but eventually we will be open all day on Thanksgiving, just give them time. I also laugh at all the websites where people are up in arms and vow not to shop on Thanksgiving, but we all know the crowds will be there, lined up. Last year, all we seemed to do by opening up at 9 p.m. was move the crazy rush from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. the day before. Friday became like a normal Saturday for us. I asked an ETL was it worth it? What are we gaining by opening on Thursday. The only thing we could come up with was that until last year, we wouldn't make any money on Thursday, now whether good or bad, it's an extra day of sales. And the 9 p.m. or 10 p.m. closing for Christmas Eve is horrible as well. They've slowly taken so much away from team members, it would be nice to at least know they care about us with certain things, but I don't see it happening. Good luck with everyone's schedules this holiday season.

If they announce a 6pm opening, I really might hand in my two weeks on the spot. At this point I don't even care if I don't have something else lined up, either.

We were told at our ETL meeting a couple of weeks ago to prepare for an 8pm opening. That's how we're writing the schedule (with split shifts!), and what i'm basing my crowd management plan on. Everyone's convinced it will be 8pm, which means no dinner for me!

I asked my nana if we could do a brunch......... where we eat thanksgiving dinner instead of brunch. A lot of people say they "boycott" the Thanksgiving black Fridays, but the problem is that a lot of those people wouldn't have gone to Black Friday sales even if they did start on Friday There's already a change.org petition up, from the parent of a TM who wants to have a day with her family. There's gonna be a petition every year until Thanksgiving's dead, but still the people who start and sign those aren't the ones who matter because these people aren't black friday shoppers, anyway.

And a lot of the people who work at target (or in my store, at least) are so broke that they're just gonna take whatever the schedule says (me included) with no complaints... well, no complaints to management and such.

If I know Spot he will open up at 7. Spot always wants to " jump" ahead of everyone else....... Spot will definitely open up a hr or earlier than everyone else that's just how spot rolls he doesn't care plain and simple we should know this by now.

Our STL says he'll be shocked if it isn't 6.

On Wednesday our SrTL (who is in charge of the scheduling) was working on two possible schedules for Thanksgiving - one with a 6pm store open and the other with an 8pm open. I have asked a couple ETLs what their guess is regarding when we will open and they both said it definitely will be no later than 8pm, with one saying she thinks it will most likely be at 6pm to compete with Macy's.

I kind of hope that I am scheduled to start between 4pm-6pm just so I can call-in, with my excuse being "I am enjoying Thanksgiving dinner so I can't come in for my shift sorry". Though, since I will be quitting in a few months (due to grad school), I can get away with that. I feel sorry for my co-workers who will miss out on a family dinner that night because they can not afford to be put on the naughty person list for calling-in on Thanksgiving.

That excuse isn't going to work.... Expect to be fired or be working. I know someone who tried that last year and needless to say they were working. Everyone and I mean everyone is expected to be working on thanksgiving or black friday and the excuse I have family plans,etc isn't gong to fly. Unless you are dying or in the hospital expect to be working just saying and I seriously doubt they are going to give you a 2 hr or 4 shift anyways they usually like to stretch them out to 6 hrs on the holidays.

Food poisoning -- a whole bunch of baaad turkeys out there made people just not able to work.

I wonder if a massive sick out on Thanksgiving would make a difference?

People just saying hey we really aren't going to take this anymore!

On Wednesday our SrTL (who is in charge of the scheduling) was working on two possible schedules for Thanksgiving - one with a 6pm store open and the other with an 8pm open. I have asked a couple ETLs what their guess is regarding when we will open and they both said it definitely will be no later than 8pm, with one saying she thinks it will most likely be at 6pm to compete with Macy's.

I kind of hope that I am scheduled to start between 4pm-6pm just so I can call-in, with my excuse being "I am enjoying Thanksgiving dinner so I can't come in for my shift sorry". Though, since I will be quitting in a few months (due to grad school), I can get away with that. I feel sorry for my co-workers who will miss out on a family dinner that night because they can not afford to be put on the naughty person list for calling-in on Thanksgiving.

The making the two schedules thing seems like a waste of time. Who has time for that? I wish they would just announce it already.

Also, all you are doing is screwing your fellow team members by getting yourself fired that day. We didn't do anything to you, so if you could just tell them ahead of time you quit so they can replace you, that would be kinder on your coworkers.

The making the two schedules thing seems like a waste of time. Who has time for that? I wish they would just announce it already.

Also, all you are doing is screwing your fellow team members by getting yourself fired that day. We didn't do anything to you, so if you could just tell them ahead of time you quit so they can replace you, that would be kinder on your coworkers.

The be kinder to your coworkers thing is lame. I understood that for Black Friday, but blame Spot at this point. They're talking about making the open time when people actually have dinner on Thanksgiving.

I honestly don't care, we eat really early (like 3 or 4) so if it's 6 and I wind up getting a seasonal position I could handle it. Time and a half too, now that it's Thanksgiving.

Also firing someone for missing Black Thursday (let's just call it what it is now)....and nothing else, hello unemployment!

I've been calling it Black Thanks-"fri"-day.

My family usually eats earlier, too, but then we play games, do karaoke and stuff (then maybe a 2nd and/or 3rd plate lol)...... and it's usually held at one of my aunts' places so I'll probably have to leave before the fun. Annd, if I go to Thanksgiving, my mom will have to drive me. A bunch of my coworkers take public transportation, too, so they'll be arriving an hour early or so in order to be on time which means they miss even more of their T day. The whole thing is just a mess. I wouldn't even be mad at someone if they called out and then target fired em.

When a person abandoned ship, I had to half-ass every SL department instead of whole-assing half of em, because they didn't call people in for most of her shifts. But if you fire someone, what you should do is try to find coverage for all of their shifts ASAP, although, I don't even expect that at my store.

Best Buy's opening at Midnight again... according to a leaked copy of their ad, and if you go to their black Friday webpage, it has that Friday's date, November 29th opposed to the 28th. I'm so jealous.

Hmm interesting...... I honestly thought Best Buy would open up earlier! I was predicting a 10 PM opening for Best Buy quite honestly or even sooner so that really surprises me. Has Jcpenney or Sears said what time they are opening up yet? I bet if they will follow suit with Macy's and open up at 8 PM or 9 and then finally good old spot will wait until the very,very last minute ( think 2 weeks beforehand so he can torture us lol) and say surprise we are opening at...........

That excuse isn't going to work.... Expect to be fired or be working. I know someone who tried that last year and needless to say they were working. Everyone and I mean everyone is expected to be working on thanksgiving or black friday and the excuse I have family plans,etc isn't gong to fly. Unless you are dying or in the hospital expect to be working just saying and I seriously doubt they are going to give you a 2 hr or 4 shift anyways they usually like to stretch them out to 6 hrs on the holidays.

I can just use an excuse like I ate bad turkey and have food poisoning.

I will not get fired. I will get put on the sh!t list, sure. But not fired.*

We had 3 people who called in for their opening shifts on thanksgiving last year, and as far as I know none got fired for it.

The be kinder to your coworkers thing is lame. I understood that for Black Friday, but blame Spot at this point. They're talking about making the open time when people actually have dinner on Thanksgiving.

Exactly. At this point Spit is to blame, not the TM calling in for wanting to enjoy Thanksgiving with family.

Personally, while yes it sucks to work on Thanksgiving, it has never been a huge holiday for my family. And my in-laws usually have a late lunch, so I'll just go to that then go to work.

Now Christmas eve on the other hand....I already told my ETL HR when they went around asking holiday availability that I won't work past 3 that day.

Where does this end? Why not just be open the whole day and be done with it? Have special Thanksgiving Day sales, and then open at 6 on Friday.

Where does this end? Why not just be open the whole day and be done with it? Have special Thanksgiving Day sales, and then open at 6 on Friday.

This is what I was saying to somebody...If we are going to be open at 6pm why not just be open the whole day, close and then open at like 6 again. I have no idea how this scheduling is going to work either. If we open at 6pm we are going to be open for what?, 28 hours straight? Are stores going to have enough staffing for that? Plus people will probably have to be there late to set up everything the night before thanksgiving. I know ive had to be there til 1-2am once a year or two ago. Then we have people who will probably have to be there starting from 4-5pm. This is rediculous. All so people can get ok deals on crap they probably dont even need.

Last edited:
Just saw the Toys R Us Black Thursday ad... looks like they are opening at 5pm on Thanksgiving Day. ... Now 6Pm for Target seems likes a real possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back