Archived Hearing that most Macy's stores will open at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The running "joke" is 6pm at my store from our AP exec. Either way, looks like I'll be skipping classes earlier in the week so I can see everyone before leaving my parents at 1pm on T'day to drive back. We're a store with tons of college kids and I'm one of the few who respects the rest of my team enough to not leave them high and dry.

I just think it's sad and extremely ironic how retail is slowly replacing a day of thanks and appreciation with that of greed and selfishness. I knew what I signed up for when I started working at Target (started as seasonal help, after all), but this is getting ridiculous. I work hard enough with minimal recognition, and I'm tired of giving up my holidays too.

I always think we should do a midnight opening or something. Wouldn't it make more sense to let people run to other stores first then go, "Hey, Targets opening in an hour, lets go there." Instead of trying to compete with other companies? It makes NO sense to me.

My mother said she'd be interested in going shopping at 6pm. I told her I'd disown her as my mother if she does. :dash2:

Hey guys ...should we be thankfull that we have a job,and we chose retail ,so we know what to expect .....and let's open the store on Christmas too...
I think I just threw up in my mouth ..
This will be my last 4 th quarter!

I thought you were serious for second....

This is my last 4th quarter. Baby on the way in March so I'm going to be a stay at home dad for a few years. We have enough saved and enough income from her job that we will be fine if I quit now. I am counting down the paychecks. 11 to go!! After reading the message board yesterday I told my wife that we are done shopping at Target.

Last edited:
I'm hell-bent on this being my last 4th quarter, too. I've been looking seriously for other options for the past month or so for a multitude of reasons, and again, this seals the deal. I want to go back to working on campus since they're more accommodating with school schedules, but they do the bulk of their hiring at the beginning of the semester so I may have to wait awhile. I truly feel for all of the veterans who have watched what used to be a wonderful company slowly swirl down the drain...

I always think we should do a midnight opening or something. Wouldn't it make more sense to let people run to other stores first then go, "Hey, Targets opening in an hour, lets go there." Instead of trying to compete with other companies? It makes NO sense to me.

My mother said she'd be interested in going shopping at 6pm. I told her I'd disown her as my mother if she does. :dash2:

You mistake HQ for actually thinking logically. I brought up this same point last year. Why would all the stores want to compete against eachother and open at the same time? Does the first store to open first really get everyones business..I dont think thats true. Also by moving it to 6 anyone get a feeling it would be COMPLETELY DEAD from 10-5am or so completely wasting payroll

You mistake HQ for actually thinking logically. I brought up this same point last year. Why would all the stores want to compete against eachother and open at the same time? Does the first store to open first really get everyones business..I dont think thats true. Also by moving it to 6 anyone get a feeling it would be COMPLETELY DEAD from 10-5am or so completely wasting payroll

We will absolutely be dead. Doesn't matter let's send some team members home to save payroll.

If we open at 6pm, those of us at FA & SB will be coming in at 4pm to prep. So much for that work/life balance.

I can't help but feel like they're testing the waters for going 24 hrs.
Lord help us if I'm right....

Last edited:
I hope they'll be nice and give me the day off for Black Friday since I'm probably the only BRTM who worked all Black Fridays in the past...

Who the hell I'm kidding?! I'll be there again since I'm one of the fastest TM back there.

At least my family and relatives have our Thanksgiving at lunch time.

if we open at 6pm, they should just close the store at regular time and let TMs have actual black friday off since I know I will be there all day on Thanksgiving anyway (black friday signing). I know our store is always a ghost town 2hrs into black friday. Not that they would ever do that. If they were smart they could open at NORMAL TIME and get all the business of people who don't want to waste a holiday, or be up at 4am. 8am opening when all of the other rushes are over. It would never happen, but hey we can dream.

If we open at 6pm, those of us at FA & SB will be coming in at 4pm to prep. So much for that work/life balance.

I can't help but feel like they're testing the waters for going 24 hrs.
Lord help us if I'm right....

24 hours? You mean year round????? NOT happening. Been there done that, it's a loser.

I think Target should take a stand and open on Friday at 6am. If the sales are good enough people will show up. Look at Hobby Lobby. They are closed on Sundays yet they manage to increase their business. Target needs to think outside the box as they like to say. Online is getting more and more popular. Forget Brick and Morter Black Friday. Put the deals on line. You will save millions in payroll. Their demographic uses online shopping anyway.Leading up to Christmas you have a couple of great door busters each Sat and Sun in the stores. Drive the sales thoughout the holiday. By treating their team members with respect and letting them focus on the holiday you will get great press. It used to be the hot items were true loss leaders. Not anymore. People come in for the deals only and not much more. Black Friday is not what it used to be because shopping has changed drastically. In order to stay competitive Target is going to need to change too

Because I don't have much family (just my husband and me) Thanksgiving isn't that big a deal. Also, with my husband being British he doesn't really have a Thanksgiving tradition. I have always had open availability and I like it that way. BUT even I think the thought of opening at 6PM on Thanksgiving Day is going too far. When we opened at midnight it was kind of exciting, but 6PM that be just another day at Target. We will see what the day brings. I hope they either have some goodies in the breakroom or maybe some strong Starbucks coffee to keep us all awake. :yes::drinks:

Because I don't have much family (just my husband and me) Thanksgiving isn't that big a deal. Also, with my husband being British he doesn't really have a Thanksgiving tradition. I have always had open availability and I like it that way. BUT even I think the thought of opening at 6PM on Thanksgiving Day is going too far. When we opened at midnight it was kind of exciting, but 6PM that be just another day at Target. We will see what the day brings. I hope they either have some goodies in the breakroom or maybe some strong Starbucks coffee to keep us all awake. :yes::drinks:

Ya...all i know is everyone gets the great treat of working a double...EVERYONE

This page went up yesterday or the day before... http://www.target.com/c/target-black-friday/-/N-5q0f2

Looks like they didn't realize (like we did) that opening earlier makes no difference. The hour is still a mystery, but unless they're secretly planning an online only sale on Turkey day (doubtful), we're opening on thanksgiving again. :(
Gotta love the work/life balance that they care so much about /s

This page went up yesterday or the day before... http://www.target.com/c/target-black-friday/-/N-5q0f2

Looks like they didn't realize (like we did) that opening earlier makes no difference. The hour is still a mystery, but unless they're secretly planning an online only sale on Turkey day (doubtful), we're opening on thanksgiving again. :(
Gotta love the work/life balance that they care so much about /s

I think it is ALMOST a Guarantee that we are going to be opening between 6pm and 8pm. JCPenny, Kohls and Macys are all opening at 8 and ive heard a Rumor Walmart is opening at 6.

When will the madness end? Until Thanksgiving is no longer a holiday?

I'm grateful that I was able to leave Target last year and find a job in my field, but seeing all this craziness about opening on Thanksgiving makes me so angry. Work/life balance? Yeah right.

Seriously...I think Target would have serious business if they opened on Friday, AFTER everyone else. I think it's turning into a race about who can open earlier.

As for me, I'll be sleeping in, and if I DO go shopping, it will be local.

Yea, I'm thinking 7 because they like to pretend they're not as evil as walmart (I'm predicting 6 for them). I just don't understand how much earlier they think they (this applies to all retail companies that are contributing to this trend) can make it while keeping the "black Friday" moniker.

I agree that opening after everyone would be the best option. There are probably a lot of people who might want to indulge in a little BF shopping that are avoiding it because they've (correctly) assumed all the nutjobs have already bought all the good stuff by the time a normal BF hour comes.

Re: opening on Fri - it'll never happen unless everyone blinks at once.
JCPenney decided to buck the trend & they got hammered to the point of booting their new CEO & bringing his predecessor BACK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back