Archived Hearing that most Macy's stores will open at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, JCP had a bad year in 2012 (maybe '11 as well) as a whole. That was when they had Ellen in the ads where they weren't having any sales but the prices were just always low. That ceo didn't care for sales at all and their black friday wasn't anything exciting. They could've brought selections to all their customers' doors so they didn't have to leave the home to shop and it still would've failed. JCP's been climbing out of a hole for some time now, though. Their last ceo made a plethora of mistakes imo.

http://business.time.com/2012/11/13/jcpenneys-not-so-black-friday/

After reading this thread I was talking with some people while we waited to clock in about when we might open and I swear someone though that we would open at 11PM.

I haven't heard that everyone is working a double but have heard that "a lot" of people will. Oh joy!

I haven't heard that everyone is working a double but have heard that "a lot" of people will. Oh joy!

Well with hiring less seasonal and opening between 6-8pm mostly everyone will be working 2 shifts. I have also heard about opening 4 hours for the rush and then coming back for a second shift. Sounds fun right?

Our HR-ETL was canvassing TMs to see who'd be willing to work doubles.
It certainly was a gauge of desperation.

I agreed to work doubles without even fully thinking about the ramifications of my commitment. The HR did say she would ask us again to confirm our decisions. I have a feeling there will not be a confirming.

Kind of off topic, but kind of on topic, but will there be trucks on Thanksgiving day? I know Thursdays are a day we typically get GM and Pfresh trucks...I would be first in line to volunteer to work the pfresh truck that morning if so.

Kind of off topic, but kind of on topic, but will there be trucks on Thanksgiving day? I know Thursdays are a day we typically get GM and Pfresh trucks...I would be first in line to volunteer to work the pfresh truck that morning if so.

Varies by store. It is possible they will have it really early in the morning or they may bump it up a day. It is hard to say when they haven't announced yet if we will be opening Thanksgiving night.

I hear from a very reliable source that it will be a 8pm opening this year.

I had exactly 9 hours between my two shifts last year. Barely enough time to go home and get any real sleep. I broke down from the craziness/lack of sleep a bough halfway through my shift. I am not looking forward to this year.

I had exactly 9 hours between my two shifts last year. Barely enough time to go home and get any real sleep. I broke down from the craziness/lack of sleep a bough halfway through my shift. I am not looking forward to this year.
Not last year, but the year before I had a return and did it on BF around 2 pm. THe store was pretty empty at that point, so I didn't feel bad (I also left it in the car and went back out after checking the crowds).

Man oh man did that GS person need to go home. She was rude, she was horrid, said she was exhausted and I point blank told the manager that I had called over to send her home. SHe was doing them no favors being there - warm body or not, they were better off without her because of my experience as the guest.

I would actually work a shift on Thursday/BF - but it doesn't sound like I will get the chance because I'm apt to be just stuck in Pharmacy for now.

(for the record, my first retail gig had me starting on BF weekend!)

Just asked the other day if our store had heard anything about opening time on Black Thursday....of the three LODs there was not a one who knew.
My guess is that spot will keep its opening time quiet for as long as possible....and whenever that time is it will probably be too early on Thursday.

The local TV news stations have been talking about the fact that the prices of products are usually LOWER after the Thanksgiving weekend.....they've advised people to shop on-line or not shop at all on the holiday weekend.

The local TV news stations have been talking about the fact that the prices of products are usually LOWER after the Thanksgiving weekend.....they've advised people to shop on-line or not shop at all on the holiday weekend.

Yeaa, I noticed last year that a day after BF a bunch of the black friday stuff's prices dropped. I had a few guests asking why they couldn't have price adjustments. Alsoo, a bunch of that softlines junk that they get in only for BF (mostly crappy PJs/winter accessories that are worse quality than the normal stuff) goes clearance if it's not sold.

I personally hope that I can work the opening shift, instead of being bored during the mid, or dealing with closing.

I walked into Macy's today and they were playing Silver Bells on the overhead. I was seriously considering knocking down a wall of fine china.

If nothing else the one decent thing about working for Spot was that unless you were walking past the music endcap you didn't have to listen to Xmas music.

I walked into Macy's today and they were playing Silver Bells on the overhead. I was seriously considering knocking down a wall of fine china.

If nothing else the one decent thing about working for Spot was that unless you were walking past the music endcap you didn't have to listen to Xmas music.

Oh God I worked at JC Penny's one year for seasonal help... I think the Christmas music is what drove me to quit lol.

Yeah, I did JCP as a seasonal hire, too. 13 1/2 hour shift on Black Friday with a single half hour break. I think their music loop was about ten or fifteen minutes. That's a lot of Feliz Navidad. Definitely, working black friday for spot last year was better, split shift and all.

If nothing else the one decent thing about working for Spot was that unless you were walking past the music endcap you didn't have to listen to Xmas music.[/QUO

I constantly unplug that damnable thing any time I had to work within earshot.

Asked my Logistics ETL about store hours....she said that she hasn't gotten any specific time, but she won't be surprised if spot opens at 8pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back