Archived Hello everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshana

TM/Food Ave
So I had my interview this past Friday, and they sent me right away for my urine test. It's now Wednesday, which is the 3rd business day, so I'm hoping I get the call either later today or tomorrow!

A bit about me: I graduated from university last year with a BS, and I was having a bit of trouble finding a job in the new town my husband and I moved to. I'm starting out working for the cafe area but my HR told me that I'd be training for other areas of the store as well. I'm really excited to start working for Target, as it seems like a really great company compared to others in the area!

For those of you that started out in my position, how quickly were you promoted? I was told that promotions are "merit based" and not necessarily contingent on time spent working for the company.

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for that call!

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations.

Let's just say that 'merit based' is code for 'do you have decent bosses?'.
No two stores are the same.

The first guy that interviewed me was super nice, and the HR woman seemed really nice, too.

Would I look like too much of a brown noser if I brought a notebook and pen to my first day to take notes?

I always took notes, it's the best way to remember.
When I was signing it was the only way to keep track of everything.

If you have your BS you could have applied for an ETL or TL position right away.
I've seen a couple of promotions at my store, usually it's younger folks who move to TL. So I would say it's merit based.

You're going to be working in food, so maybe you can take notes on a notepad or index card. I don't think you need a full sized notebook.
This forum also has a lot of useful guides that you can read!

Welcome and good luck

If you have your BS you could have applied for an ETL or TL position right away.
I've seen a couple of promotions at my store, usually it's younger folks who move to TL. So I would say it's merit based.

You're going to be working in food, so maybe you can take notes on a notepad or index card. I don't think you need a full sized notebook.
This forum also has a lot of useful guides that you can read!

Welcome and good luck

Unfortunately this was literally the ONLY position open at the store. I was paranoid today since I haven't had my call yet, so I checked online, and there are officially zero positions open in the store.

I'm glad to see people getting promoted from within. I'm going to try and figure out a way to let them know that I'm interested in applying for one of these positions should they open up. Are open positions posted in the break room or something?

Thanks for the luck!

Unfortunately this was literally the ONLY position open at the store. I was paranoid today since I haven't had my call yet, so I checked online, and there are officially zero positions open in the store.

I'm glad to see people getting promoted from within. I'm going to try and figure out a way to let them know that I'm interested in applying for one of these positions should they open up. Are open positions posted in the break room or something?

Thanks for the luck!

At my store, open positions are posted by the time clock. It will list the position open, the paygrade of the position, and how many people they need. Example: Backroom Team Member - Paygrade N07 - TMs needed 3
They also post team lead positions (supervisor) on the sheet. I don't think they post ETL (assistant/dept managers) positions on there, you might have to look for those on the careers website.

Welcome to Target and The Break Room!

and they sent me right away for my blood test.

You had to get a blood test? I thought they only used urine tests.

Sorry! I just had a completely unrelated blood test this morning. Yes, it was a urine test...in a very uncomfortable feeling lab, mind you :blush:

Hate to break it to you, but if you have your BS and apply for anything less than a TL position, you're gonna have a bad time.

ETLs are easily making 2.5x what a TM make in a year, and they have the same qualifications as you.

Hate to break it to you, but if you have your BS and apply for anything less than a TL position, you're gonna have a bad time.

ETLs are easily making 2.5x what a TM make in a year, and they have the same qualifications as you.

There weren't any ETL positions open. I can't be promoted to ETL from TM? I've let them know I'm interested in moving up within the store.

I'd like to add that even though I have a degree and experience, I'd rather start out as a TM and be promoted to TL and then ETL than start off as an ETL. I'd prefer to learn how it is to be a TM to better understand my workers when/if I ever become a TL or an ETL. I feel like jumping right into being an ETL would leave me without any sort of understanding or knowledge, and make me an ineffective leader.

I'd like to add that even though I have a degree and experience, I'd rather start out as a TM and be promoted to TL and then ETL than start off as an ETL. I'd prefer to learn how it is to be a TM to better understand my workers when/if I ever become a TL or an ETL. I feel like jumping right into being an ETL would leave me without any sort of understanding or knowledge, and make me an ineffective leader.

How can I put this without sounding too snarky?
While I personally feel that the path you describe is the ideal, Spot's current hiring practices pretty much ignores that paradigm for one of hiring people straight out of business college as ETL's with very little practical experience so that they can be molded to certain manner of thinking.

While I personally feel that the path you describe is the ideal, Spot's current hiring practices pretty much ignores that paradigm for one of hiring people straight out of business college as ETL's with very little practical experience so that they can be molded to certain manner of thinking.

So somewhat related to this. I've been a TM for about 3 or 4 months now at a new store in my area. There is an ETL position open at another store in the area (not sure which, the site doesn't say) I have my BS and will be working on my MA starting next month. Would it be bad for me to for the heck of it apply? Would I have to let my ETL-HR know I am interested? Would I have to do it through eHR?
All of my TLs and ETLs at the moment seem to love me and all say I'm one of the best hardlines TMs. Just not sure about skipping a level/moving stores (I actually like 99% of the people at mine)

I don't think you sound snarky at all! I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm sort of hurting for money, and, again those positions aren't open at the moment, so I guess it's a risk I have to take.

I got the call! Orientation is tomorrow. I'm so nervous!

Thanks! I just picked up khaki pants and a red, collared shirt from Walmart. For some reason I felt weird going to Target to look for these items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back