Archived Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I am a new team member that just finished the 90 day period. It's been nice and fun so far. I've been hired as an Electronics Team Member, and was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on doing good at the job besides guest service?

Welcome to the Break Room.

Read Consumer Reports so you know the electronics that are recommended by them, it's always a good selling point.

What is the Consumer Reports?

It's a magazine. It's worth the money to subscribe too. Although, I'd highly recommend, just going to your local library, and reading there archived copies, from the past year. It should explain a lot of the electronics section (like cameras, audio, tvs, ipods, and other stuff) very well.

Oh I see! I will take a look at them then. Any other advise in terms of on the job stuff? Like how to efficiently do reshops/zones fast and what to do if a guest is trying to find something and the pda's don't work? I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can get good at my job. :)

Opening procedures: 1. Turn on any and every display that doesn't automatically come on with the store. Audit to make sure they are working, any that aren't, let your SFT know. Dust the displays so they are presentable to guests. 2. Walk the zone. Make sure the closer didn't forget any areas. Check front endcaps, and fill holes from the home locations. Check sidecaps for holes and new accessory attachment opportunities. 3. Check the electronics boat for cleanliness. Make sure there is no left over reshops on floor, expired holds, and make sure the bags are full. 4. Work any pulls that may have been left the night before, or that aren't pushed by the flow team on non truck days. Continue to work pulls through out the day as they drop. 5. Complete any projects that have been delegated to you for the day.

Closing procedures: 1. Grab reshops from the front before coming back to electronics. 2. Walk with the opener before they leave to make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary going on. 3. Complete any pulls before starting the zone. 4. Zone your area. If it's like my store, you will be also zoning toys. I typically start at 5pm in Entertainment, and go all the way to Mini Seasonal. Then hop across the main aisle into Auto, and zone towards Toys. The zone should on average take you about 3.5 hrs. Bring a tub, and cart with you. One for overstock, and one for reshop. ZONE TO PLANOGRAM! 5. Make sure the boat is clear of reshop, overstock, expired holds, trash, etc. before you leave. 6. Complete all reshops, bins up front should be empty. You should be able to complete all this before closing.

Opening procedures: 1. Turn on any and every display that doesn't automatically come on with the store. Audit to make sure they are working, any that aren't, let your SFT know. Dust the displays so they are presentable to guests. 2. Walk the zone. Make sure the closer didn't forget any areas. Check front endcaps, and fill holes from the home locations. Check sidecaps for holes and new accessory attachment opportunities. 3. Check the electronics boat for cleanliness. Make sure there is no left over reshops on floor, expired holds, and make sure the bags are full. 4. Work any pulls that may have been left the night before, or that aren't pushed by the flow team on non truck days. Continue to work pulls through out the day as they drop. 5. Complete any projects that have been delegated to you for the day.
Closing procedures: 1. Grab reshops from the front before coming back to electronics. 2. Walk with the opener before they leave to make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary going on. 3. Complete any pulls before starting the zone. 4. Zone your area. If it's like my store, you will be also zoning toys. I typically start at 5pm in Entertainment, and go all the way to Mini Seasonal. Then hop across the main aisle into Auto, and zone towards Toys. The zone should on average take you about 3.5 hrs. Bring a tub, and cart with you. One for overstock, and one for reshop. ZONE TO PLANOGRAM! 5. Make sure the boat is clear of reshop, overstock, expired holds, trash, etc. before you leave. 6. Complete all reshops, bins up front should be empty. You should be able to complete all this before closing.

Are all Target procedures the same? Some things doesn't make sense to me from what you've written here. For example, for your closing procedures it states to "walk with the opener". If I'm closing I would never see the opener. At the Target I work at we have Opener, mid, and closer. What does SFT mean? What do you mean by "zone to planogram"? Sorry for the questions, still learning the fine details.

All stores are different but the general themes are the same.
You walk off the area with person who is leaving, don't just have them throw their keys at you and leave.
Zone to planogram means put the merchandise exactly where it would be on the plan, don't get creative.
The SFT is the stores physical plant person.
They handle work orders to maintain the building.

Last edited:
Welcome to The Break Room! As others have suggested, read Consumer Reports. And also check out CNET for more info on electronics. Experience alone may not be enough to guide a guest to a reliable brand.

I see thank you! I will try out CNET as well. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the attachments/accessories more appealing to a guest?

Make sure the guest knows what they'll need (not want, but need). For example, if they're buying a game console, ask them how many people will be playing so they can get additional controllers. Or for cameras, they'll need to get a memory card (if the camera even comes with one, it'll have a tiny capacity) and a good hard-sided case to protect it. TV, Blu-Ray player? HDMI cables. And don't forget about ESPs and Red Cards.

Thank you for all your advice! I'll use these to improve my skills as a target team member. :D

Pretty sure none of the cameras spot sells come with any included memory card, unless it's one of the kits. So that's pretty close to a guaranteed attachment unless they already have one to use, which some do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back