Archived HELP! ETL interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently a Sr. TL. My STL think I would do well as an ETL LOG and told me that my DTL wants to walk with me. Today, I found out my interview's scheduled for next week!!

I'm not really sure what ETL interviews are like. I've heard that the answers are much more global, and I'm not really sure what that means. When I did my TL interview, I answered the questions with no problems (lots of of examples from life and Target experiences). I've heard my STL mention that those would be too simple for ETL interviews.

What should I expect in this interview? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

For ETL interviews, your answers should all be high scope. That means:
  • you should not tell stories that revolve around team members. Your stories should minimally involve your peers, but preferably TLs of other workcenters or ideally your ETLs/STL.
  • your stories should have long lasting impacts, minimally in your workcenter but ideally in other workcenters or storewide.
For example, let's take a time that you took initiative to solve a problem.

Bad example: I noticed BRLA for my TOY aisles was red. I told a TM to LOCU those aisles. Next week BRLA for my TOY aisles updated green.
That's a terrible story. It's low effort (you delegated a task to a TM) and low scope (you didn't partner with anyone or drive any kind of lasting change.)​

Better example: When I first started as a BRTL, location accuracy was an opportunity for us. I knew the importance of BRLA in the instocks and replenishment process overall, so I looped my ETL, my OVN LOG ETL and my STL in on my plan to build solid routines to fix and maintain LA. I assigned each BR TM specific backroom aisles for which they would run the detail report on and correct errors in on a bi-weekly basis. I then partnered with my OVN LOG ETL to ensure that they followed up with their OVN BR TMs to ensure execution. I regularly partnered with the team to identify trends in the errors they found and was able to course correct by holding error-prone TMs accountable. This routine gave my team a sense of ownership for their aisles and brought maintaining a branded and accurate backroom to the forefront of my team's culture. Since this routine has been in place location accuracy has been a consistent win for us and the store has seen improvements in instocks as a result.
Better! You developed a plan, then looped your direct report, another ETL and your STL in. You built a routine that addressed one of your workcenter's opportunities and strengthened storewide instocks in the process. You drove a change in team culture by making a plan and managing its execution. You leveraged an ETL so they could follow up with their team on your behalf.
I just made that up so it's not the best, but hopefully you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Ask an ETL whose opinions you value for help with interview prep; they should be able to give you a sense of what stories you need to come up with and can help you brainstorm and tweak them. Your ETL-HR/STL might be able to get you the interview packets. And most importantly, relax. Interviews on short notice are always a good sign; it means that your DTL already has a good idea of the position they want you for and are comfortable imagining you in the role. Know your stories, know your store's metrics (not just for your workcenter but storewide) and don't make a complete fool of yourself and you'll be fine.

Thanks, that actually gave me a good idea of what to expect during the interview. I found out today that my STL will go over the questions with me, so we'll see how that goes. I appreciate your examples a lot!

First, congrats!!!
Secondly, Can you give me an idea of what questions you were asked? I'm prepping for ETL interviews and would like to have an idea.

First, congrats!!!
Secondly, Can you give me an idea of what questions you were asked? I'm prepping for ETL interviews and would like to have an idea.

My interview was actually very casual. Lots of "off the cuff" questions. My DTL started off my asking how long I've worked at Target. We found out we were from the same little town and talked about the changes there. He then asked how long I've been at this current store. He asked about the positions I held and for how long.

From there it became more serious. He asked about the most challenging experience I've had in my current position, my strengths and opportunities, my direct ETLs' opportunities, and reasons why I would be good for the position.

For the challenge part, I talked about being incredibly under staffed. He asked me what I have been doing to resolve the issue. We discussed this part a lot.. which was the part that made me feel uneasy because he started giving me advice on what I could/should do about staffing.

My STL gave me the ETL interview guide, which my DTL didn't use, and the questions asked during the interview were variations of the the interview guide. The only one he didn't really ask me was the "Time you made a mistake" question. He also had a meeting after so that was probably why my interview happened really quickly...

Good luck on your interview!

From another thread:
Etl STAR interviews:
The answer to your question(s) are pretty simple. During your interview be honest and yourself. They will ask you 4-5 situational questions (total of 3 rounds I believe) just to see what type of leader you are. Remember to paint them a picture because what they are looking for in each question that you answer is to be outlined in the following way:

Situation - how does your answer relate to the question
Example: tell me about a time you had to make a tough decison
You - During college ect..... <--- you are painting them a picture so tehy can visually see your answer.
Task - what did you have to accomplish/what what was the issue or problem
Action - how did you solve this issue/what steps were taken.
Result - what was the final outcome.

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).
Thanks
Coolnite7, Yesterday at 8:48 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back