Helping guests find stuff

I just finished my training and it said you’re always supposed to walk customers to the aisle. Most of us in fulfillment just give aisle numbers and point them towards it though

Um, guilty, though I didn't make the phone call. I don't want Benadryl because it's a complete ripoff. I only get the generic. If the generic's not there, I'll go without because I'm not paying that price. But if someone searches by "Benadryl" it's likely not going to pick up the generic, so the most accurate search is by active ingredient.
Ok, I get that. But this particular caller had a very thick accent and I had a terrible time understanding him. Since I live in an area with a lot of university students from other countries, accents don't generally get me confused. I was very relieved when he told me the brand name and I could make some progress in getting his question answered.

In fulfillment? No, we don't have time for that unless it's just an aisle or two away. Our general policy is be nice, help guests and all, but if it's going to take more than a few seconds call for someone who works in the department. If we really aren't busy, we can be more helpful. Walking a customer halfway across the store because they asked where the light bulbs are while you were in RTW? Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Anything like that i give directions to the area , and tell the guest someone in that section can help them more specifically. "Oh mens watches? That's going to be in mens clothes, over yonder, find a team member over there and they can help you more. I only have smart watches and fitbits"

Anything like that i give directions to the area , and tell the guest someone in that section can help them more specifically. "Oh mens watches? That's going to be in mens clothes, over yonder, find a team member over there and they can help you more. I only have smart watches and fitbits"
Men's watches are in the jewelry department at my store.

Our fulfillment team doesn't walk guests to anything. I wouldn't expect them to, especially since they're on a timer and all that. Sometimes they have black shirts on so they don't get stopped all the time, but that seems sporadic.

I don't walk guests to stuff that much myself. I'll tell them where it is, then I'll ask if they want me to take them there. Most of them say no need, unless they were already over there and just didn't manage to spot it.

As for memorizing locations, it just kind of happened on its own for me. When I was new, I was in awe of all the TMs who had stuff memorized and I thought, oh man, I'll never be able to do that! Now I know most of the store from memory, save for a couple of areas I never work or shop in.

Most guests at my store don't want to be walked to things, but I will if I'm not certain where something is or if they seem like they need it.

Back