Archived Helping out with other tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomthy

Cart Wrestler
So I'v been cart attendant in my store for about 5 months now (I know not that long). I quickly got into the habit of doing other stuff for people. Noting super big, just taking care of salvage, CRC, and other things that need to be taken to the back. I've been trained as a cashier (obviously), as well as Pizza Hut. As it stands I'm kinda the "he can help with a lot of things guy". I really like being able to help out other TM's with things, at the same time I can understand that I need to focus on my job: Carts. I don't want to be a slave for everyone else doing their jobs and all that, but when the carts are fully stocked its nice to help out other people.

Ok here is the main thing. I'm only 17 (yeah I know, I get teased about it, not my fault). So there are things I can't do, like operate the power equipment, or stay past 9:45. But what about pulls? Helping other TM's put out new stuff on the shelves (that might be pulls, not sure since no one has ever bothered to tell me). I get the restrictions and that I need to do my job, but at the same time I'd like to help out some more. Any information anyone can give me to help me out? Thanks.

I surprised. During my last years, my store would only allow minors to work cashier or salesfloor till 945. They had to clocked out before 10pm.

Since the cart pusher was deemed power equipment and the majority of carts had to be done before closing which is not always possible, they didn't allow minors to work those shifts.

If my cart shifts were ever slow or full inside, I would cashier, straighten the tables in girls, zone the lanes, check bathrooms, and restock lane supplies.

I did have one Super that had me re-stock all spill stations supplies and trash and maintain the can/bottle recycler every shift, and push FA/SB/Deli/frozen pulls which I thought was a bit much.

Talk to your GSA or gstl. They should be asking you to do extra tasks, if you are not busy. Pulls are auto fills from the back room to replenish product on the shelves.
Thanks for the info. I did ask an GSA a couple of days ago but she just said that since I wasn't 18 yet I wasn't allowed to help out with pulls and the general team in sales-floor. I understand that I can't help out with the trucks, since you have to use power equipment, but not being able to help out with other stuff seemed a bit strange to me.

I surprised. During my last years, my store would only allow minors to work cashier or salesfloor till 945. They had to clocked out before 10pm.

Since the cart pusher was deemed power equipment and the majority of carts had to be done before closing which is not always possible, they didn't allow minors to work those shifts.

If my cart shifts were ever slow or full inside, I would cashier, straighten the tables in girls, zone the lanes, check bathrooms, and restock lane supplies.

I did have one Super that had me re-stock all spill stations supplies and trash and maintain the can/bottle recycler every shift, and push FA/SB/Deli/frozen pulls which I thought was a bit much.
I used to do "closing shifts" but the ETL's were upset that I couldn't stay until the actual close time. Now I always work the first CA shift. I do things like spill stations, trash, and as I said before I even take care of things like taking Salvage, donation, and CRC to the back. But still there are some days where things are so slow I might as well not even be there. Just trying to find more stuff to help out with. I can see the life leaving my friend who works in sales-floor when she finds out she has 7 carts of pulls. Just wanna help out some way.

Just keep helping where you can an always mention that you would be happy to do more when your age restrictions change. No one should be angry with you can't do cause of your age. Just do what you can do the best you can.

You will have long enough time in your life to work, enjoy not being in the shit while you can. :)

I suppose when I am older and have more duties I will complain. So what I'll say next is probably very immature, but I suppose that's just how it goes.
I'd prefer to stay at work than home. At least at work there are people I ,like.

Thanks for the info. I did ask an GSA a couple of days ago but she just said that since I wasn't 18 yet I wasn't allowed to help out with pulls and the general team in sales-floor. I understand that I can't help out with the trucks, since you have to use power equipment, but not being able to help out with other stuff seemed a bit strange to me.
Unloading and stocking from the truck does not involve any power equipment at all for most TMs.

Unloading and stocking from the truck does not involve any power equipment at all for most TMs.
Whaaaaaat!? Huh...........maybe I should speak with another GSA/GSTL about it. Again I get it that I need to focus on my own job, but I feel as if since my job can come to a complete stop sometimes it would be helpful for me to be trained in other stuff to help. Also I kinda like being able to do lots of stuff.

95% of flow doesn't need to use power equipment, and that's probably conservative for some stores. The only issue I can think of for minors is starting time, not sure on the rules for that. There's definitely no issue with being sales floor and a minor...

You're not allowed to work in the backroom before you turn 18. It's a company policy. You can stock shelves on the floor, but you're not supposed to work in the back.

My old store had the CAs replenished the bags at the lanes as well as register receipt paper and Catalina paper.
Also collect hangers and reshop.

You could ask about zoning near the registers and restocking candy ( done by cashiers at my store) too.

Yeah I already do that as well. I'm kind of a fast worker. Also most of the cashiers already zone everything to perfection by the time I come in.

You can definitely stock from pulls. But can't put the cardboard in the baler. Can't recall if you can have a box cutter but I feel like you can in my state. I have a couple 16 or 17yr olds every summer on carts or salesfloor without an issue.

We used to have minors help work re-shop on the sales floor if there was nothing to do at the lanes.

You're not allowed to work in the backroom before you turn 18. It's a company policy. You can stock shelves on the floor, but you're not supposed to work in the back.

Interesting. We have a minor cashier who's been getting scheduled to work in the backroom lately. He mostly pushes because he can't use the powered equipment, but he can pull batches in light-duty and market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back