Hi everybody, I don’t work at Target.

I found thebreakroom.org after googling “having to call a backup cashier 5 times”. I’m a cashier at a retail thrift store in a chain of retail thrift stores, and during the 4th hour of my most recent shift, I had to call for a backup cashier 5 times. I’m worried when/if it happens again, I will give in to the temptation of abandoning my job.

It's very frustrating. The thing to remember is that if you're busy at the lanes, it's busy in the store so coworkers may be helping other shoppers (guests at Target) and aren't at a place in the interaction that makes it easy to respond. That being said, it doesn't take 30 seconds to ask the shopper they are with to excuse them a moment while they respond (assuming your store has a response system, such as a walkie), even if it's to say that they aren't able. Don't abandon your job if you mostly like it, but do talk to your supervisor and ask how to get better responses. They may talk to the others and tell them that it's an important part of keeping happy shoppers who return (and that's how they keep their jobs!)

It's very frustrating. The thing to remember is that if you're busy at the lanes, it's busy in the store so coworkers may be helping other shoppers (guests at Target) and aren't at a place in the interaction that makes it easy to respond. That being said, it doesn't take 30 seconds to ask the shopper they are with to excuse them a moment while they respond (assuming your store has a response system, such as a walkie), even if it's to say that they aren't able. Don't abandon your job if you mostly like it, but do talk to your supervisor and ask how to get better responses. They may talk to the others and tell them that it's an important part of keeping happy shoppers who return (and that's how they keep their jobs!)
Hi Rarejem, Thank you for your thoughtful response! It means a lot to me. I wish the company I work for (Goodwill) had a forum like this. Until then, I’m finding this forum very interesting & very relatable. Thanks again.

Yesterday I worked my first shift since the incident described in my original post & I was feeling a little nervous. My backup cashier (same one as in my original post) only had to be called three times though. Someone else called him the first time, I called him the second & third times, & he was walking up as I finished the third call.

A guest said to him “You came back from break?” He was not on a scheduled break. We don’t have walkies, so when we make the call, it’s on the intercom so everyone in the whole store, production area, & warehouse can hear. After the first call was made & he didn’t show, I called him by name the second & third times.

I talked to my tl the night of the original incident. I’m pretty sure management is aware of him. The asm once asked me when we were alone “How can you work with him & another specific coworker without ripping their heads off?” And I thought to myself: is that an option? The truth is they do help me out sometimes, so...

It’a definitely a Target problem too. I like seeing the insight from another retail establishment though, I’d like to see more of that on this forum.
Thanks dannyy315. Sorry it took so long to reply. I forgot about this website until I got an email summary of what’s been happening here...

An update: my workplace switched from 10 hour shifts where I worked exclusively with this fellow cashier & the other specific cashier (that the asm asked me how I can work with them & not “rip their heads off”), back to 8 hour shifts where I’m working with all (5) of the other cashiers & I haven’t had to call for backup multiple times since.

Back