Archived hiii everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

seriousmoonlight

flow team, cosmetics
I was just hired! I'll be in 7am-3pm flow. I haven't started orientation yet, so I'm waiting on that call. :)

This is technically, sorta-kinda, my first job, and to be honest, I'm a little terrified.
I'm in my very early twenties, and I've been on disability for a few years due to some issues with cerebral palsy and an anxiety disorder. Neither of these really seem to affect me anymore, which is why I'm weaning myself off the (tiny) checks and onto work.

I say this is kinda-sorta my first job, because back into 2008 I was hired at a a coffee-shop. The manager training me was terrible, and they let me go after a day and a half of training, because she assumed I had a learning disability, and wouldn't be able to pick things up fast enough. I never technically made it into the system, and therefore was never really hired on. I didn't put any of this on my application or mention anything to anyone.
Everyone at Target seemed *really* excited that this was my first job, but I feel horrible that I lied. I don't intend to ever tell anyone, as I feel like this is definitely grounds for termination? I don't know - is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks everyone~ Excited to have found this board!! :D

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations.
Welcome to The Break Room.

Don't even worry about the other job, it doesn't really count and nobody is going to care.
I know that stress can be an issue with CP so don't push yourself too hard and have fun.

Thank you!!
Your post has already made me feel a lot better! :)

Welcome! I have a six-nerve palsy myself, as well as a type of MD called myasthenia Gravis, and so far no one at Target has batted an eye at me disability-wise. How'd you get such a steady schedule? =]

Thanks! :D That is really great to hear (that no-one has batted an eye), I was kinda worried because I have a leg-length discrepancy so its pretty obvious. Other than muscle spasms when I sit for too long, I'm virtually okay though. I'm not really sure if my schedule is that steady as I don't know it yet, but they said I'd be working Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

Last edited:
Thanks! :D That is really great to hear (that no-one has batted an eye), I was kinda worried because I have a leg-length discrepancy so its pretty obvious. Other than muscle spasms when I sit for too long, I'm virtually okay though. I'm not really sure if my schedule is that steady as I don't know it yet, but they said I'd be working Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

Have you watched the orientation videos yet? There's a section just for us about how accepting Target is of people with disabilities. In a wheelchair? Have a service dog? Your eyes don't point forward? We here at Target look at you like actual human beings! it's simultaneously one of the most personally offensive and hilariously sad things I've ever seen.

I haven't yet, but oh wow! I think I will have to try not to laugh during them, thinking of this post. haha.
They do actually seem to follow through on being more accepting of employees with disabilities, unlike other companies who just claim to be.

Those rank right up there with the "Unions - BAD!" videos.
Leave to spot to approach a topic with kid gloves & a cudgel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back