Archived Hire From Within?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whelp, first-time poster. So I am a seasonal worker that was asked to stay on. Even though I have only 60 days under my belt, does Target interview newer team members for TL and ETL positions? I have a lot of retail management experience both private and corporate and I am wondering if it's worth my time to apply now or wait for a time period from the point that I was hired from.

Honestly, I'd probably wait at least a year. Yes, you have experience but it's experience at other places and I think they'd want to actually witness your work ethic first. Especially since you're someone coming from the outside. Based on my many years of being at Target and just from what I've seen, I can assure you that they will not consider newer team members for advancement opportunities. You have to give it time in order to prove yourself. They're very selective about the people they chose. Best of luck! I'm trying to move up in the company myself. :)

Whelp, first-time poster. So I am a seasonal worker that was asked to stay on. Even though I have only 60 days under my belt, does Target interview newer team members for TL and ETL positions? I have a lot of retail management experience both private and corporate and I am wondering if it's worth my time to apply now or wait for a time period from the point that I was hired from.

It doesn't hurt to bring it up to your STL but I've seen people with a butt load of experience have to wait to prove they are Target Brand. Then again some people pass without needing additional time. Look at what you have accomplished in your previous management experience and how it relates to Target

One person at my store went from seasonal TM to regular TM to TL in less than a year. A very highly qualified person who had the support of the ETL and TLs in the workcenter, and did an exceptional job every step of the way. Rapid promotion is (was) possible, but it is very, very rare.

I have a lot of retail management experience both private and corporate and I am wondering if it's worth my time to apply now or wait for a time period from the point that I was hired from.

It doesn't hurt to try. A TM from another store in my district, who had lots of prior retail management experience and excelled at his job, got promoted to TL in less than a year because a spot opened up at that store. Let your STL know of your interest and they might consider you if there is an opening.

Last edited:
Definitely go for it. I stayed as a TM for 5 months, bench for 1 of those 5 and TL since September. Had a degree and 2+ years of management exp. introduced myself to every single ETL/TL and the STL and made it known I wanted to move forward after the first month.

I have a co worker at my store thats been with the company for 3 years and tried there best to promote but the store just ignored them and refused to even put them on the bench

Being promoted from within to TL isn't too hard; especially with the current turnover.

ETL on the other hand....You would have a better chance to pick up ETL by quitting and reapplying later as an ETL. Target generally only promotes ETLs from within on very rare occasions. External applications from fresh college graduates always get the priority and internal promotions to ETL tend to only happen whenever they can't find enough from college job fairs.

It's all about support from the store. If they believe in you and push for it you can go from tm to tl to etl in under two years with no college degree. If you don't have their support you could get ignored for "better qualified" people who don't actually know shit but that they like.

Rare, but possible. Let your STL know your interest. Make a difference. JUST doing your job, no matter how well, is NOT enough. Depends on what impression you make, face-time with DTL, how have you made a positive impact ? I know of a cashier to STL within a few years. It is NOT time or experience that matters. it is Who you ARE, who you KNOW, what you have DONE for your work center, what openings there are, what is a positive move for the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back