Archived Holding employees after clock out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I have been lurking for a very long time and have decided now is the time to post.

We have an etl that thinks it is perfectly ok to do roll call at the front doors after clocking out at night. So we are standing there for 3-4 min until everyone closing that night gets up to the doors.

So, would I be wrong in putting in a punch correction? I mean, its only 5 min a week or so, but still, that's 5 min he's not letting us leave. I am assuming best practice is to walk out in 2+ groups. At least that was what I was told at orientation long ago. And I can understand if there is an issue right at closing time that the person may still be in the parking lot and is very upset. But to simply hold us so we all walk out together?

I did have a conversation with one of the HR girls and she said to do a punch correction and put "other" then fully explain why I was doing it. So, I will be doing that tonight and we will see what happens.

idk doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.. not like you're doing any work.

all of our ETL's had a tendency to keep all of us inside until everybody was in TSC or 15-30 minutes late. ALL of them got a chewing out because of it....especially one who did it every single time keeping all of us who got off at closing until the entire crew was done at 11:45. She was afraid of locking tm's in AGAIN. Let's just say her regular closing shift is the least popular one to work.

well, i think people who are 11:15 should be allowed to leave whenever, but maybe just the few 11:30 closers they can do a rollcall for? People shouldn't be working past shift, so as long as everyone gets up front in a timely manner i don't see why it'd be a huge problem... But yeah that doesn't always work out lol. Thank god im an overnight store... haha.

How do you lock TM's in... use the damn overhead thing at G/S and Fitting room at the end of the night...But Ive never worked salesfloor so I dont really know what goes on at the end of the night.

I have an ETL that is famous for locking people in. I work on their closing night, and I always double check!

How do you lock TM's in... use the damn overhead thing at G/S and Fitting room at the end of the night...But Ive never worked salesfloor so I dont really know what goes on at the end of the night.

Most of our ETLs do that, and it helps. But you can't ever be sure that you still won't get someone that's lollygagging around or just wants to get one last thing done before they leave, so they also do a roll call type thing. Personally, I'd rather be hung up for a couple of minutes than potentially get left behind. I'm glad they take that precautionary step.

So tonight as we were getting ready to walk out, the lod says that its going to start to happen where we all have to walk out together. When I brought up the question of clocking out then having to wait, she said that she doesn't see why we should have to wait. Me and a few others tried to tell her that it always happens that there is this last min person that is dragging behind everyone else. We shall see. But I'm still not sure it legal to hold someone after they clock out... even if it is only 2 min.

Hi all! I have been lurking for a very long time and have decided now is the time to post.

We have an etl that thinks it is perfectly ok to do roll call at the front doors after clocking out at night. So we are standing there for 3-4 min until everyone closing that night gets up to the doors.

So, would I be wrong in putting in a punch correction? I mean, its only 5 min a week or so, but still, that's 5 min he's not letting us leave. I am assuming best practice is to walk out in 2+ groups. At least that was what I was told at orientation long ago. And I can understand if there is an issue right at closing time that the person may still be in the parking lot and is very upset. But to simply hold us so we all walk out together?

I did have a conversation with one of the HR girls and she said to do a punch correction and put "other" then fully explain why I was doing it. So, I will be doing that tonight and we will see what happens.

5 minutes that is nothing ours sometimes keep us there 10-15 minutes or more because we have to wait for them to type their closing email or for softlines stragglers. I remember my AP ETL saying they aren't supposed to do that. Too bad he isn't with our store anymore.

One amusing thing that came out of it though was that onetime me and a few TMs were waiting there with a slacker TL(the TL disappeared most of the night during closing shifts and would have other TLs and TMs do his work during day shifts) who everyone hated ask me if I could ride the elevator down with him and than bring it back up so he could leave.

I wanted to react like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6nKVdUs-I but I didn't feel like being fired(he already didn't like me and was buddy-buddy with the HR ETL) So I said no since we aren't supposed to do that.

I have had issues in the past with ETLs having tms punch out and then going off to do their email,the way I put a stop to that was by not punching out until he was ready to let me leave,when everyone else started to do the same,he stopped doing it,I never have a problem working until the last minute,but I do with standing at GS for 15 mins+ while off the clock,I think a few mins is reasonable but if a tm is off the clock and wants out I thing an ETL is asking for problems by not letting them go.

I would always let my team out...do a final lap of the store with the closing TL(s) and then we would all sit and do email...me to the LOD and TL staff and the TL(s) to their peers and/or ETLs and then we all walked out together. I often forgot though to drive around the building and check the pin lock but the ETL-Log and Replenishment were always in there.

At my store, we're required to walk out in pairs after closing, but we usually voluntarily wait for everyone to get up front and then walk out as a group. If you don't want to wait, they'll make you walk out with someone else.

At my store, we're required to walk out in pairs after closing, but we usually voluntarily wait for everyone to get up front and then walk out as a group. If you don't want to wait, they'll make you walk out with someone else.

My store leadership wants us to leave in at least pairs, but they don't strictly enforce this. Sometimes, if I need to buy something after closing and everyone else has already left, I'll just wait for the LOD and TLs to be ready so I can leave with them or walk with a certain GSA who doesn't feel like waiting for the LOD.

Also, if a TM is waiting for a ride, I try to stick around and wait with them until their ride arrives so they're not alone.

Ive had issues like this before. We wait a minimum of 5-7 minutes to be let out after clocking out due to stragglers and some LOD's save all their tasks until after we clock out. I dont care if we're just standing there or night that is time that we are being forced to spend at Target and therefore should be paid. 5 minutes might sound like nothing but think about how many nights you close in a year. At my current pay rate thats just over $100 a year I should be getting paid...and I estimated really low for how many times a year I close. Pretty eye-opening!

The protocol at my store is that the closing LOD is supposed to have their closing email done before closing.
When closing our TMs wait at the time clock and then we all punch out and leave together.
I believe that, for safety reasons people need to leave in pairs.

Also, the closing LOD isn't supposed to leave the store parking lot until all TMs are gone. If your LOD ever leaves before the parking lot is cleared of TMs then it might be a wise idea to speak w/ ETL/HR....or AP. For if the LOD leaves and a TM is in the parking lot then Target and LOD is responsible for what happens outside.

We had one girl who worked at GS and she was always holding the team up when she was scheduled to close. We all usually ended-up waiting for up to 10 minutes for her. Then one closing night she was done and at the time clock by closing time. I'm guessing that she was talked to about how she holds up the whole team. Problem solved!ol/>:;;

I say don't punch out and do a punch correction on eHR with the LOD keeping you as the reason. There is the whole "not hanging around after your shift unless you're shopping thing." If it's a pairs thing I understand. If the LOD is just being a douche, throw it back at them in the name of punch corrections.

I've been working for target for about 5 months now and lately our lods don't let us leave until 30-60 mins after we are suppose to. For example, tonight out store closed at 10pm but we didn't get to punch out until 10:45pm. Are they allowed to do that? Can't we just walk out if they do that?

I realize this isn't exactly on the topic but it relates... at my store we recently have been having closers come in at 7 at night (we close at midnight) which means that they'd have to leave before 1am. A lot of times this happens on a Friday or Saturday night which means our GSA is calling the LOD saying "my cashier (name) is going into compliance at 1am, so I'm sending them up to TSC now to clock out". Presumably, they clock out and leave because they're not there when the rest of us leave.

I understand they can't have someone hit compliance but isn't it also... I don't know, not how things are supposed to work? It doesn't seem right to send out a random person before everyone else (cos, you know, safety) and obviously it's not right to make them stay... :confused:

So my store is set up so that the doors we exit from are upstairs, and our TSC and punch clock are downstairs, so it takes a few minutes for everyone to get down, clock out, then head back up. There's ALWAYS stragglers, and typically, most of the LODs end up making us wait on them. There's certain LODs that go up to the doors and check people off as they're leaving to make sure everyone gets out, and there's one LOD who goes on the overhead 5-10 min before we're all scheduled to clock out for closing, telling us to turn in our shit and get out and gets us all out right on time, but it's more typical than it is unusual for closing team to be left waiting for 10+ min. This is my first job so I thought nothing of it, everyone else seems used to it and just whines once in a while when the LOD takes especially long.

Weird we all just leave on our own and aren't held there to wait for everyone else
That's what we do at my store too. When your shift is up you just leave by your self. I rarely ever close, but I usually open around 7am and its pitch black when I get there. They want us to Park in the back of the parking lot (away from the street lights) which makes me feel really unsafe. They don't want us to Park near the front because that's" guest parking". I don't think my store really cares about what happens to us in the parking lot.

ASANTS, but we have a parking garage as well. We have to come clean in our zones and complete all our go-backs. We always have last-minute guests, so getting out early or on-time is very very rare. Only when it's snowing do we really get out "early". Most days we end up staying an hour later, so in our case we stay until midnight. Since payroll is doing better as the February Struggle is over, for regular closing team members that would get 40 hours, they usually get 34-35 hours instead of 40, just so that way they can stay with the rest of the team and usually they'll reach 40 or come very close to 40 by the end of the week. Closing team arrives usually around 4:30-5:30. Closing huddle is usually 5:30-6:00 (every day, and quite honestly this is probably why we always stay late..) and then we are schedule until 11 (or 10 on Sundays) and then get out at 11:30-12 (or 10:30-11 on Sundays). We are right downtown, so people always end up coming in last minute for all sorts of things they probably could have gotten at a different time. Thankfully, we don't sell alcohol. I just get a bit frustrated when we have fitting room guests right at 10:59. :( Do they not hear the 4 overhead announcements?! On more than one occasion, we even have had to say "The time is now 11:05, and we are now closed, and have been for 5 minutes." o_o I qualify (and pretty much everyone else now that fourth quarter is over) for shift differential payments and almost always have a little extra because of that on my checks, so I really don't mind staying later, but sometimes I'm like "Let's go y'all!" LOL Once everyone is done, we all head to the time clock. I do like working once the guests leave because of course things finally can get done and not shopped! Edit: To clarify, I do enjoy being around 99% of our guests as we are in the nice part of town and get rude guests that rare 1% of the time, or maybe it is just me.. My fellow TMs would probably say otherwise. :p Sometimes the LODs will make an overheard announcement on later nights in case some TMs have dead walkies. Of course, this isn't always the case. Myself and the operator got locked in before.. :( The lights were off and in a huge store it was quite frightening. We almost considered calling the store, but we eventually found her. :D It is a fun story to tell now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back