Archived Holiday Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do hours worked on an official Target holiday (New Year's Day for example) count towards your 40 weekly hours?

No, they don't. That means you can work 40 hours for the 6 normal days of the week and then whatever you want on the holiday and still not have to worry about overtime.

That is what I thought. My leadership outright lied to me and said it does count. My STL told me I can always get a full 40 because I work so hard and help out where ever it is needed. I think they are just trying to save hours this late in the month.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about this. My TL and both HR tm's told me that the hours worked on a holiday do count towards the 40. They were wrong, but nothing I said could change their minds.

The problem is, it isn't really ethical to do it that way. Think about it. Let's say you work 48 hours this week. And let's say you work 8 hours on Friday. This means that you get 8 hours of OT pay at time and a half (because it is legally required), but you have given up the time and a half holiday pay because that isn't legally required. And you shouldn't have to give up holiday pay simply because you are in OT...there is nothing in the handbook that says you can forfeit your holiday pay, which is basically what they force you to do.

Last edited:
Management lies. It is just what they do. This is why we need a union.

Can someone please explain to me how they calculate this on our paychecks? Mine shows just under 20 hours @$1??? I worked 6.5 hours on 12/24...

My experience has been that they are usually just wrong (read: dumb) and don't lie that much.

Well said. I ask our HR ETL about health insurance or something and he looks at me like I have a spike sticking out of my head. But he knows the menu to every restaurant in a 5 mile radius when they want to order lunch for the team leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back