Home Innovation: Target Canada 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahahahaha you're funny. What used to be the trend runs at the end of home are now small appliances, cookware, and light bulbs. Our plastics are in the middle of d block. The other end of the blocks is greeting cards, towels, and bedding. Not condensing any of that haha.

Im blessed with the first 7 ailses for storage.

The thing I don't like is the floor displays for items we don't even sell. People keep asking about those expensive chairs. When they find out they're online only items most ask why do we have a display for them. I already see my store taking a big hit from this "innovation" in the form of less business. The product just isn't moving like before and there is less of it.

I... Like this idea. I order things after looking at them in store all the time. I ordered a desk even though my store had it. The mailman had to get it into his vehicle and bring it up the stairs. Plus the shipping was free.

We kinda do the same thing for baby. Most of the crib displays and some of the strollers have info cards that show other colors and extra accessories that are online only. There are occasional complaints. Sometimes you can get them to sign up for a redcard for it. Or you give them one of those free shipping coupons (If that's still a thing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Canada failed because they opened too many stores at one time and never let the brand get a chance to grow. They had too many employees and no one in Canada was shopping at the stores.

They opened 180 stores in a year that no one knew about and they are only assuming Canadians would recognize the brand, and were wrong.
Yes, Target Canada failed because they opened too many stores too fast. But Canadians definitely knew about the stores, and those who lived near the U.S. (75% of the population) recognized the brand.

The bigger issue was that Target was never able to get its supply-chain working as it should, and they were not prepared for the high costs of doing business and the cutthroat competition from every direction.

Canadians didn't ship there because they were chronically out of stock of basic and sale items, and because it was cheaper to shop at elsewhere (even at a Target across the border).

It's hard to compare the remodel of one department in select stores to the massive clusterfuck that affected hundreds of (whole entire) stores and tens of thousands of employees.

The bigger issue was that Target was never able to get its supply-chain working as it should, and they were not prepared for the high costs of doing business and the cutthroat competition from every direction.
This was the info communicated to stores from headquarters when the closing of Target Canada was announced.

Canadians definitely knew about the stores, and those who lived near the U.S. (75% of the population) recognized the brand.

Target doesn't want to compete with Walmart. They want to compete with IKEA, Macy's, etc. The problem is, we don't have high end guests. We have guests bugging me for our crappy extra hangers because they are too cheap to go back to domestics and buy a 12 pack for $3.

Depends on the store/location TBH (even in my area).

We have some inner city Targets (minus the Nicollet store) that are pretty ghetto.

The ones out in the suburbs though are pretty affluent.

Looks like OP deleted a ton of his posts... Not sure what's up there, but the whole thread is confusing with this many gaps - closing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back