Archived Honoring price challenge under $20 rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can do a price adjustment up to $20, but the expectation is that it's reasonable.

Price-change and price-match scammer sociopaths are among the top 10 reasons I fucking hate cashiering, not only are they shitty liars but they also go Chernobyl on you if you confront them about it. I had many of these assholes at Walmart that would show up several times a week with a big basket full of shit and snarl "NO THAT'S WRONG" with every single item I'd ring up. They would always intentionally pick a busy time to pull this nonsense, thinking that the growing line of irritated people waiting behind him/her would pressure me into changing the prices for them. One of them was especially shameless about it and had a M-M-M-MELTDOWN after I called her out on her claim that a box of Equate aspirin was 10/$1 at Target (Equate is a Walmart brand). Nope, fuck off

Price-change and price-match scammer. One of them was especially shameless about it and had a M-M-M-MELTDOWN after I called her out on her claim that a box of Equate aspirin was 10/$1 at Target (Equate is a Walmart brand). Nope, fuck off
actually my store once had a box of Equate delivered from the warehouse. We figured same vendor made Equate and Up & Up brand and mixed it up. Of course no one at warehouse or backroom noticed. I just gave it to Sr ETL.

^This.
We had a case of Great Value (WM brand) windshield washer fluid set out on the floor & they came thru my line.
Of course, it came up as NOF so we did a look-up & assigned a price.
Guest didn't care WHO it was labeled for.

Our cashiers are empowered to make changes up to $20. If a guest starts challenging a bunch of items, it's time for the GSTL/GSA to get involved.

Have had it happen multiple times where a guest will challenge every single item in their cart.

I offer to walk the store with them to look up every one for them.

I've posted a lengthy reply before as to what I do, but I can't this time.

TL;DR If it's reasonable and under $5, for example, it's Sunday(new ad day) and not all expired ads get taken down. There's a sign that says Doritos are $2.50 but ring up at $3.29, honor it. Between $6-$10 I will do more to try and verify the price myself, but anything more I need to call the GSTL. Keep an open mind to grocery items or smaller, cheaper things. Electronic's should always be price checked by a GSTL, if the item is particularly expensive and they said "Oh it was $220, not $230" I'll honor it, whatever, but if they say "Oh the price tag said $139.99 not $249.99!" and that's when a red flag should go up and you need a GSTL's assistance. I've had legit price changes before where there was an expired ad sign or it was in the wrong spot and was $5 or less of a difference, but I've had people tell me a vacuum was $50 off the price it rang up as, and you tell the guest you will need a manager to further assist me in seeing what we can do and the people get huffy. "Oh, well I'm in a hurry, so, if you could just change it for me, that'd be great, thanks." or "I've got kids waiting in the car I can't be doing this." well maybe they shouldn't be trying to challenge a fricken price lol, even if it is completely innocent. I've had guests notice the price ringing up was higher than it was suppose to be and they just tell me to void it and then tell me why and that's the end of it. I offer to assist them in seeing what we can do to help, but usually it's a no-contest thing.

If someone is saying something’s on sale and it’s not it’s always best to calls GSTL so that the price can get changed back to the correct thing before more guests have the same issue. GSTL can call department and have them remove the expired signs right away instead of waiting for pricing Team

If you do a price override and use guest challenge (K2) as the reason, an alert immediately goes out to the MyDevices so someone can check for signs, as well as keeping management aware of the changes being made.

If someone is saying something’s on sale and it’s not it’s always best to calls GSTL so that the price can get changed back to the correct thing before more guests have the same issue. GSTL can call department and have them remove the expired signs right away instead of waiting for pricing Team

that's what K1 -> Price Adjustment K2 -> Guest Price Challenge actually does

^This.
We had a case of Great Value (WM brand) windshield washer fluid set out on the floor & they came thru my line.
Of course, it came up as NOF so we did a look-up & assigned a price.
Guest didn't care WHO it was labeled for.
Someone recently pushed a whole box of Aldi product to the floor. Didn't even look/notice/care.

If you do a price override and use guest challenge (K2) as the reason, an alert immediately goes out to the MyDevices so someone can check for signs, as well as keeping management aware of the changes being made.

I know that I haven't responded to this thread in over a month so I apologize for bumping again. Luckily the past few Saturday nights, I guess the guest didn't come to my register or I was on break when she checked out. I don't want to criticize my GSA or GSTL, but they usually freely encourage me to use Guest Challenge as the reason for a price override so I am not sure how they feel about sending out alerts to the MyDevices. On the other hand, usually the other price override reasons are not applicable (Competitor Ad Match, Damage, Missed Cartwheel) so in order to do a price override, Guest Challenge is the only option. I don't want to create more work for departments to check prices, especially when I have a strong feeling that the guest is lying about the prices the signs listed.

I get the feeling that some of my GSAs or GSTLs will just give in to the guest demands since they have encouraged me to change prices by $20 on items without even confirming if the price is right, so I will try and ask when one of the other GSAs or GSTLs is around. Do any of you feel that there is a huge difference in how strict some of the GSTLs or GSAs are from others in terms of price overrides? Some of them at my store will check price changes within $5 diligently, while others won't even check on a price override of $20, which is the limit for cashiers without a supervisor override.

I get the feeling that some of my GSAs or GSTLs will just give in to the guest demands since they have encouraged me to change prices by $20 on items without even confirming if the price is right, so I will try and ask when one of the other GSAs or GSTLs is around. Do any of you feel that there is a huge difference in how strict some of the GSTLs or GSAs are from others in terms of price overrides? Some of them at my store will check price changes within $5 diligently, while others won't even check on a price override of $20, which is the limit for cashiers without a supervisor override.

EVERY store is different in this regard. Depends on your shortage, etl aps attitude, if you have an etl ge who doesnt want to bend over.

I also thought PCV (price challenge verification) is something stores are judged on. Any seniors or etls here could speak to that

To be safe if it's more than your comfortable with just ask a leader. Even if a different leader gives you a different answer then it falls on them if any questions are asked later.

You're etl GE will let you know what direction they want you to go.

Yeah we are strongly encouraged to find another reason other than Guest Price Challenge to do a price change.

In my store it is a 10/5/35/50 with price challenges. 10% (some days it feels like 20%) are scammers, 5% just have regular prices that are wrong, 35% are just confused shopper who misunderstand signs- some of it I put on target but it is usually the guest not reading the whole sign/promotion, those that see the 5% redcard sign in shoes and insist there was a sign under every pair of shoes saying 5% off, or the buy 4 get 1 free - thinking that out of the 4 one would be free, cartwheel, etc, and 50% is on the sales floor. It was slow on the lanes last night so I was asked to zone babies for my last 45 minutes. In the 6 aisles I did I pulled 8 expired sales signs, half from last week but half from December. Since empty spots are discouraged zoners often just put same size similar inventory in the empty spot instead of only putting something with the same or lower price point they put anything there so lots of $34 diapers were in the $24 spots. This happens throughout the store- paper towels, furniture, toys, more with bigger items on shelves but also a lot of hooks.

As of yesterday I have instructed my cashiers to change the price to any item, no matter what. If it needs my supervisor numbers I’ll change it. Let’s make it right for the guest if they don’t seem particularly sketch.

As of yesterday I have instructed my cashiers to change the price to any item, no matter what. If it needs my supervisor numbers I’ll change it. Let’s make it right for the guest if they don’t seem particularly sketch.
As a GSTM this is a horrible policy. Guests will learn very quickly and your store will be taken advantage of big time.

No offense but my store if a GSTL told us this we’d all lose respect for them. All us front end people want is a leader with a backbone to back us up.

No offense but my store if a GSTL told us this we’d all lose respect for them. All us front end people want is a leader with a backbone to back us up.
THIS. If my GSA/TL told me this, I would just call another GSA/TL on duty if available.

I don't really like this policy. I have some GSAs or GSTLs that don't check prices on items that are a $20 difference between what appears on the register and what the guest "claims" they saw the price was. Another example was when a guest wanted to buy a vacuum that was already on clearance for about $100 less than the original price and the guest claimed that the sign said the vacuum should have been another $25 less than what the clearance price was coming up. I asked the GSTL on duty about this, and they changed it willingly with the supervisor override and I was disappointed that they weren't even concerned about making an item $25 less than it should have been. I just wish that more of my GSTLs/GSAs were willing to check prices instead of backing down to the guest's demands.

the other day someone "saw something" under a $1.99 tag when it rang up for $24. she had a picture of them there which seemed sketchy and after the gsa checked there was one more under that price but we wouldn't honor that price. then the guest said "i thought that if the place where i got it from said that price you had to give it to me for that price" which seemed even more sketchy. if we did that we would be out of business and people would move $100 items to dollar spots all the time.

I watched a guest pull this with my ETL at my old store. He was pretty firm on not doing it but she pulled I work for another retailer and we do it if it was in the wrong place. He called her out for it but she wanted to talk to his boss so he just did it.

I had a guest see a "$.01" display label (that shouldn't have been up there in the first place) and they tried to get a cabinet for that price. I get there was a labeling error, but use some common sense.

That kind of shit is why I backstock a $40 lamp that had been overfilled into the empty $11 slot next to it (for example). There's no way anybody is going to be happy when the customer brings that up to the front. That happens way too much at my store. Drives me nuts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back