Archived Honoring price challenge under $20 rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time (I haven't been able to find info recently on this so I don't know if they're still in effect) there were laws in certain states that we had to honor the shelf price if it was mis-marked. However, placing something on a tag that doesn't actually match the item does NOT trigger that law. I believe that's why UPC codes and DPCI numbers are printed on tags.

Once upon a time (I haven't been able to find info recently on this so I don't know if they're still in effect) there were laws in certain states that we had to honor the shelf price if it was mis-marked. However, placing something on a tag that doesn't actually match the item does NOT trigger that law. I believe that's why UPC codes and DPCI numbers are printed on tags.

I've used that logic with a guest when she said it was the only one like itnon the shelf. You know, a $35 item mixed in with $10 items. They said, "...but the shelf label said" it was XXprice. I asked them if they matched the bar code on that label with the bar code on the item. No, she didn't. Denied!

I had a guest with an item that had the clearance tag on them with different codes than the actual one and under the supposed new clearance tag there was the real one with the system correct priced sticking out for me to see I told them its different they continue to say it had like 40+ more i then told them sorry do you still want it? they just gave me it easy...
Like they knew if continue insists ill call a manager lol

Last edited by a moderator:
At my store it would be $20/20%, however we had a few repeat guests who would try to abuse this (as in 7+ times per transaction). I told our team to call over the GSA/GSTL as soon as a known abuser tries to do a price challenge, and that we'd shut them down.

^ This

$20 but known abusers get shut down.

I would hate to be called for $3 differences. That is one of my pet peeves. Going to give us a bad review score for a few dollars smh.

Always check with your ETL-AP. He or she should have expectations set up with the front end leaders.

^ This

$20 but known abusers get shut down.

I would hate to be called for $3 differences. That is one of my pet peeves. Going to give us a bad review score for a few dollars smh.

Always check with your ETL-AP. He or she should have expectations set up with the front end leaders.
I can't believe that I never thought of this. Since I am still kind of confused with what kind of changes or differences are allowed, I will try to talk to one of the AP or ETL-AP members to hopefully get a better idea of handling price challenges.

Is there a metric by cashier that looks at the number or amounts of guest price challenges that they allow? If so, is this something anyone pays attention to?

Same with no barcode items?

Is there a metric by cashier that looks at the number or amounts of guest price challenges that they allow? If so, is this something anyone pays attention to?

yes. every single price change you make down to one penny AP and GSTL gets an alert (at least that's what i was told). and yes, they pay attention. obviously if you have a valid reason, there's no issue, but you better believe if you do it without a good reason they'll catch you (not saying you specifically would)

yes. every single price change you make down to one penny AP and GSTL gets an alert (at least that's what i was told). and yes, they pay attention. obviously if you have a valid reason, there's no issue, but you better believe if you do it without a good reason they'll catch you (not saying you specifically would)

Thanks. I actually have seen those alerts before when the GSTL gives me their zebra to watch the front, but didn’t realize they came up for every single change. Omg that must be so annoying for them!!

I meant more like an aggregated report metric. Like being able to know that cashier A allowed $X of price challenges or $Y per transaction or something like that.

I meant more like an aggregated report metric. Like being able to know that cashier A allowed $X of price challenges or $Y per transaction or something like that.

Oh yeah we had a cashier fired for giving her boyfriend discounts lol. They pay AP a lot of money to shut that crap down

Oh yeah we had a cashier fired for giving her boyfriend discounts lol. They pay AP a lot of money to shut that crap down
Lol yeah not a smart idea. We just have these couple of cashiers who get all of the “price change scammers” whenever they’re on, as well as the couponers. Like based on the way these TMs appear, people assume they’re the ones to take advantage of. I’ve been noticing it more and more often and really hope these TMs aren’t getting fucked over...

Definitely a report for no bar code. A few years ago, you did no bar code and asked the guest what the price was. If it was reasonable, you went with it. Now they don't want ANYTHING being sold with an actual barcode.

Both the investigation center and your AP are constantly made aware of this.

I tell every cashier. I have never seen a cashier fired for changing a price for a guest within their allowed limits. I have seen many fired for changing prices for specific people.

It's not the price change, it's who you changing it for. Don't think AP won't notice your cousin constantly going to your line or fellow tms coincidentally paying less for items every time they go to your register.

I’m pretty sure it sends an alert from above 5 dollars as what I’ve seen. Don’t quote me on that but I don’t get notifications when I do like a 2 dollar price change or anything that low as it’s realy not worth it

The alerts are for %'s...like price change 20-30%. I've never seen one for low dollar price changes.

The alerts are for %'s...like price change 20-30%. I've never seen one for low dollar price changes.
That makes sense as that’s how it announces but like yea it’s not usually under 4-5dollars as those kind of prices changes don’t happen often

A lot of times the alert is based on whether or not you need a supervisor overrride.
I hear the alert bing without checking it I instantly hear “hey GSTL could you come to the electronics boat for an override”

Sorry, to be clear, I’m not trying to fraud the system or anything. Just was wondering how it worked based on previous guest transactions.

Price Inquiry is another good tool in determining "reasonable" If the resale without a receipt price is the price the guest is saying for the item, likely an old sign is still in place. So for a rug ringing up as 89.99 and the the guest says the sale sign says $79. I check price inquiry and if the price matches, I make the change. Knowing my store the old sign is still up and I am hoping the price change -guest will trigger someone to look and pull down the old sign.

Price Inquiry is another good tool in determining "reasonable" If the resale without a receipt price is the price the guest is saying for the item, likely an old sign is still in place. So for a rug ringing up as 89.99 and the the guest says the sale sign says $79. I check price inquiry and if the price matches, I make the change. Knowing my store the old sign is still up and I am hoping the price change -guest will trigger someone to look and pull down the old sign.
THIS!!!!!

I'm in SL but it seems that many of my SL colleagues have walkie problems when called for cashier backup. Anyway, had a series of blueberries in a box without barcode. First time, asked the guest, no idea about price. Checked the market cheat sheet but no blueberries. Flipped the light. GSTL comes over and gives me a price and the guest is ok so there you go and the GSTL says she will have it fixed. Few hours later in my shift I'm doing more cashier backup and the blueberries come through again. Immediately flip the light and the LOD responds. I mention the price of the GSTL earlier and the LOD quotes a price LESS and the guest leaves happy. LOD says she will fix the lack of barcode.

Next day, another backup shift and here comes the blueberries and still no bar code. Lines are 5 carts deep so I just enter a price from the day before..... screw it. The GSTL this day is different and comes by and asks about my price change so I don't know if the previous day price was more than 20-30% or what, but it triggered an alert. I give her the history and she's fine with it. Again promises to get pricing on blueberries.

I feel for cashiers who have to deal with this on a regular basis......

There is a list that can be printed out that identifies TMs who have sales amounts that don't have barcodes or have full barcodes.....with no barcode the sales amount cannot be matched to the department and thhese numbers add up to unaccounted sales. If a sales amount can't be matched it is looked at like lost revenue and the store loses.

A few weeks ago they printed out the "unaccounted" sales lists.....we had about 12 people on it with sales amounts ranging from $175.00 to over $300.00. Each TM on the list was talked to and told that we couldn't use the "no barcode" button (most of us stopped using that button ages ago)....and one TM did not even know that we ever could have used that button. How she got on the list has since been figured out. ....anyway, the cashiers were told that it was unacceptable to have any unaccounted sales numbers and if this continued we'd have to talk with our ETL and probably get written up.

They've continued to print this report....and continue to follow-up with cashiers.

They've discovered that the "999..." barcode appears every time the register comes up with the prompt "How much is this?"....so the unaccounted sales sometimes has nothing to do with the "no barcode" button at all.

And our GSAs have continued to use the "no barcode" button.....not sure how this is being handled by AP...but I'm sure it is being addressed.
One nice thing about having to have a DPCI is that the front end now has a my device/zebra available at all times.

I'm in SL but it seems that many of my SL colleagues have walkie problems when called for cashier backup. Anyway, had a series of blueberries in a box without barcode. First time, asked the guest, no idea about price. Checked the market cheat sheet but no blueberries. Flipped the light. GSTL comes over and gives me a price and the guest is ok so there you go and the GSTL says she will have it fixed. Few hours later in my shift I'm doing more cashier backup and the blueberries come through again. Immediately flip the light and the LOD responds. I mention the price of the GSTL earlier and the LOD quotes a price LESS and the guest leaves happy. LOD says she will fix the lack of barcode.

Next day, another backup shift and here comes the blueberries and still no bar code. Lines are 5 carts deep so I just enter a price from the day before..... screw it. The GSTL this day is different and comes by and asks about my price change so I don't know if the previous day price was more than 20-30% or what, but it triggered an alert. I give her the history and she's fine with it. Again promises to get pricing on blueberries.

I feel for cashiers who have to deal with this on a regular basis......
Get with the market TL or sales floor TL. They can make a mysupport request to fix it (well anyone can but they’re the most likely to, in my experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back