Archived Honoring price challenge under $20 rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a year ago, our team got pulled in to make sure we understand that if a guest challenges a price on an item that's under $20 we should honor it no matter what and shouldn't actually check the price.

Yet the GSA and GSTL still asks for price checks for little things like Halloween candy with $3 difference. Are we or are we not honoring this rule?!?

It's supposed to be 20%. Lots of stores do $20 because of some weird miscommunication. Idk.

Well dang I was told it had to be within $10 or else call the GSA/GSTL.

At my store it was any amount and you didn't need a supervisor but for coupons over $5 off than you needed supervisor approval. (smh)

At my store for a while it was what ever you felt comfortable with smh we had people say that tv's were 300 cheaper then what they were ringing up and guess what some people actually changed the price. Before I left it was down to 15 dollars

At my store it would be $20/20%, however we had a few repeat guests who would try to abuse this (as in 7+ times per transaction). I told our team to call over the GSA/GSTL as soon as a known abuser tries to do a price challenge, and that we'd shut them down.

the other day someone "saw something" under a $1.99 tag when it rang up for $24. she had a picture of them there which seemed sketchy and after the gsa checked there was one more under that price but we wouldn't honor that price. then the guest said "i thought that if the place where i got it from said that price you had to give it to me for that price" which seemed even more sketchy. if we did that we would be out of business and people would move $100 items to dollar spots all the time.

the other day someone "saw something" under a $1.99 tag when it rang up for $24. she had a picture of them there which seemed sketchy and after the gsa checked there was one more under that price but we wouldn't honor that price. then the guest said "i thought that if the place where i got it from said that price you had to give it to me for that price" which seemed even more sketchy. if we did that we would be out of business and people would move $100 items to dollar spots all the time.

How did these IPODS get in one spot?

Had a guest once try to get a summer item for 75% off. Twice. First time it was a $20 item and the 2nd time she came through it was a pretty expensive item.. like a pool or something. Didn't fly the 2nd time.

When I was a cashier, our policy was that it had to be reasonable. Otherwise, the GSTL/GSA would walkie for a price check.

Had a regular who would challenge the price of EVERY item she was buying.
Not a lot - she seemed to know the threshold limit - but it was every item.
The deodorant? Oh, those were xxx price. The travel-sized sanitizers? They were .20 less & so on.
AP started going thru her transactions to see how much she was skimming off & it was pretty significant so they started checking on every item she challenged & she disappeared after that.

Had a regular who would challenge the price of EVERY item she was buying.
Not a lot - she seemed to know the threshold limit - but it was every item.
The deodorant? Oh, those were xxx price. The travel-sized sanitizers? They were .20 less & so on.
AP started going thru her transactions to see how much she was skimming off & it was pretty significant so they started checking on every item she challenged & she disappeared after that.

Ugh, we had a guest like that too. I pointed her out to AP one day and told him that she had pricing issues every time she was shopping here. I haven't seen her in a while.

At my store they constantly change it. A few months ago it was question everything over 10.00 and then they switched it back to 20.00. 20.00 makes sense the ten dollar question everything didn't especially when it's something silly.. Let's hold up the line over something 10.00!! Thank goodness they switched that. It really was annoying:rolleyes:

Ours was always the $20/20% rule because someone would come up with a .20 different on a travel item &, when you approved it, they'd dump a whole basket's worth.

I guess our cashiers were abusing the price challenging and changing prices a lot, so my gstls said the cashier is empowered to fix any price challenge of $5 or less. Anymore than that, it's a blinker and the GSTL will call the department to verify the challenge. Anyone know what actual best practice is?

I guess our cashiers were abusing the price challenging and changing prices a lot, so my gstls said the cashier is empowered to fix any price challenge of $5 or less. Anymore than that, it's a blinker and the GSTL will call the department to verify the challenge. Anyone know what actual best practice is?

Best practice is to "make it right for the guest." If the price is reasonable, go for it. Each store is free to intrepret that as they may.

Price changes are audited.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I need to let off some steam about a particular guest who challenges the price of almost every item (usually groceries, toothpaste, toilet paper etc.) when she is checking out. She has come through my register the past two Saturday nights and she is constantly complaining about the prices that come up on the register and insisting that they were advertised at a lower price on a sign. I am not sure if she is being watched by AP and most of the changes seem reasonable (within two dollars for each item), albeit that the number of changes about wrong prices seems unreasonable for one transaction. I am wondering if the next time she comes through, should I call over a GSTL just to verify the prices for the guest?

The best part is that she complains about how long it takes for me to change the prices for her and how the advertised signs are misleading to me, as I am thinking in my head that there are other grocery stores or Target locations nearby that she could shop at if she is tired of dealing with this situation. I truly believe that the only reason she continues to shop at Target is because we are more likely to accept her price challenges than any other grocery store nearby, which unfortunately means that she will continue to get away with this charade.

I would talk to the GSA/TL about this...and ask how you should handle it next time she comes through your line. Once the price adjustment requests start tell her that multiple price changes are no longer allowed at the registers and send her to GS.

I’ll try to reason with them and give them ONE for maybe 50% off just for the inconvenience. Most scammers don’t even bother with that, it’s either all or nothing to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back