Archived Hope? Maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullseyeBud

GSTL at 16, World Dominator by 30!
As I have posted before, I'm quite removed from Spot. However, it was a pivotal part of my career that I cherish to this day. I love reading the rants and raves and discussing the state of Spot with my old bullseye buds.

I came across this when reading my normal stuff today. As a private leadership consultant, I like a ton of what is in here. Could there be some good things in the mix? I'm not sure...but it sounds promising. I did some searches and didn't see it posted, but if you're a current TM, it would be a great read on your leadership!

http://fortune.com/target-new-ceo/

Peace, love, in the name of Fast Fun, and Friendly.
<3 BullseyeBud

Interesting read.
Sounds like he might have the kind of backbone and drive that it will take to pull Spot out of its rut.

My feeling is that unless he can see that one of his greatest assets is the people he has working for him, all of the innovation in the world isn't going to help.

Interesting read.
Sounds like he might have the kind of backbone and drive that it will take to pull Spot out of its rut.

My feeling is that unless he can see that one of his greatest assets is the people he has working for him, all of the innovation in the world isn't going to help.
I'm far removed from being a CEO and even I know that the workers selling/stocking your product make your money, so it's important to invest in your workers.

Definitely a great read. It's the most insight I've heard about him so far. I like surprise visits, too, never understood why they don't do that regularly. It's the only way to see the store's true colors.

I find it somewhat sad ( yet not suprising ) that the Ceo didn't talk about his workforce ( not corp but the average team member). He ( ceo) talks about the struggles of growing up on his moms disability income...maybe he will tap into that and realize that so many team members ( who work hard) cant make ends meet and or worry about qualifying for insurance. Spot has somewhat of a tarnished reputation with the guests but also as an employer...would had been nice to hear what he would do ( if anything) to turn that around .

I am going to have nightmares about how horrible it would be if he strolled into our store unannounced.. even if it was a GOOD visit.. the thought of what the ETLs would do if they knew he was around somewhere...

http://m.startribune.com/business/294526121.html

Pretty promising article. I can fully stand behind getting back to our core and focusing on stylish apparel, stylish home goods, and beauty. That's where our money is at.

And I also support differentiating ourselves in grocery by heavily investing in organics and non-GMO foods, gluten free, vegan options, etc. I know I've posted on here before about focusing on more natural brands and products in grocery. After the investment that's been made in grocery, it would be unwise to totally pull out of the business. It makes a ton of sense to give people a reason to shop for their groceries at target based on something other than price.

Tuesday will be an interesting day. Looking forward to hear a more fleshed out version of Brian's plan!

Weird, it didn't show me a "subscribe to read the whole article" message.

The following is from the 3/2/15 Wall Street Journal

Target Revamps Groceries for Millennials
BN-GL599_TARGET_P_20150115103825.jpg
ENLARGE
Target CEO Brian Cornell has been touring rival stores for ideas of how the retailer can freshen its grocery business, according to a source. Photo: Reuters

By
Paul Ziobro
Updated March 2, 2015 3:41 p.m. ET
Target Corp. plans to lean on Greek yogurt, bagged coffee, and craft beers in an effort to make its grocery aisles feel less like Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and to attract younger shoppers.

Target has zeroed in on seven grocery categories—from granola and yogurt to candy and snacks—where it thinks it has the best chance of standing out to urban dwellers, younger families and Hispanics, two people familiar with the matter said. Along with a proclaimed goal of adding more organic, natural and gluten-free foods, Target is showing signs that its food direction will become less reliant on packaged and processed foods that are out of favor with many millennial consumers.

Fixing grocery—which accounts for about a fifth of Target’s $73 billion in annual sales—is a priority for Target’s new chief executive, Brian Cornell. Target expanded its grocery offerings in the hopes that shoppers would come to stores for low-margin food items and then indulge in purchases of higher profit items like a new blouse, a shower curtain or a throw rug. But that plan didn’t entirely pan out. After an initial increase, traffic started to fall and margins narrowed.

Since expanding its grocery offerings in 2008, Target’s selection hasn’t stood out. A survey of Target shoppers by the consultancy Kantar Retail found just 18% of customers felt that the food sold at the retailer matches up with what they like to cook or eat.

Mr. Cornell, whose background includesstints at PepsiCo Inc., Safeway Inc. and Sam’s Club, has made the grocery turnaround his own business. He has been touring rival stores like Trader Joe’s and Wegmans Food Market Inc. to get ideas of how Target can freshen its grocery business, according to one of the people.

Mr. Cornell is also involved in finding a new head for its grocery business, after replacing two executives in the past year. Target is looking to bring in an executive with grocery experience from elsewhere, and Mr. Cornell has personally been interviewing some candidates in recent weeks, a person familiar with the matter said.

On Tuesday, the retailer will announce a wide-ranging turnaround strategy to try to recapture some of its former cheap-chic cachet. A Target spokeswoman said Mr. Cornell and Chief Merchandising Officer Kathee Tesija plan to share more details on the grocery plans Tuesday during a meeting with investors in New York.

At that time, Target will lay out plans to focus on yogurt and granola; coffee and tea; candy; snacks; beer and wine; fresh meat, and produce, the people said. The categories won’t necessarily get extra space at Target, but will get more focus from merchandising teams, and receive greater prominence in displays and marketing, they said.

Target executives still expect several months to pass before any major changes are rolled out to stores, a person familiar with the matter said.

“We recognize we have a lot of work to do in food,” Mr. Cornell told investors last week. “We won’t get there overnight.”

The changes will likely build on an earlier pledge to add more organic, natural and gluten-free foods to its selection—a change that would mean less shelf space for some of the large packaged food companies like Campbell Soup Co., General Mills Inc. and Kraft Foods GroupInc. that have been starving for growth of late as consumer tastes change.

The new selection is skewing toward an assortment favored by so-called millennial consumers—those born in the 1980s and 1990s—who increasingly prefer a healthy lifestyle and have largely shunned the processed foods that their parents grew up with. Those younger families are making up a greater share of Target’s customer base, rivaling the spending power of baby boomers.

Beyond grocery, Mr. Cornell plans to convey his broad plans for Target to investors at Tuesday’s event. The starting points of his strategy have included a decision to focus on a half dozen signature categories like home, apparel, children’s and wellness products. Among his other areas of focus: opening smaller format stores, improving Target’s digital sales, and having a more localized assortment in stores around the country.

The plan will require more investment. Mr. Cornell is seeking more cost cuts from the corporate level eliminating management layers also to help expedite decision making.

Target’s has already started that process by consolidating merchandising departments, leading to the departure of some senior buyers. Employees in Target’s Minneapolis headquarters are already bracing for another round of layoffs, following the 550 layoffs last month that were tied to its shuttered Canadian operations.

Write to Paul Ziobro at Paul.Ziobro@wsj.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back