Archived Horrible hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Sunday everyone...
I have a quick question..all opinions are appreciated...
Does Target have the right to only give me one 5 hour shift a week? I am available full time and that's all I get?? When I ask for more hours, I'm told they don't have any to give...Should I call corporate?
Thank you everyone in advance

I believe the minimum is 4 hours per week.

What do you expect calling corporate to accomplish? They will try not to laugh or hang up on you and then promptly let your STL know that you called.

Some people will tell you to watch the shift swap board, ask to be trained in other areas, that it will get better in a few months, etc. But if this is a big deal for you, then you might as well use this as motivation to look for a new job.

You're right...
I am trained for backroom, flex, guest service, cashier & electronics and they know this.. Just works my nerves when I ask if there are hours either in my department or anywhere else and I'm told no. Then I see other tms with 20 + hours. Thank you for responding

It's not like I don't work when I'm there. Most of the time when I am there , I'm THE ONLY ONE THERE. I bust my ass each and every time I'm at work. Whatever they ask me to do I do. I offer help with anything they need and still I get no hours. I actually have been filling out applications elsewhere. I'm awaiting on that.. hopefully one of them calls me to come in for an interview

Well...in my store, when a TM gets only 1 or 2 shifts like that it's either because a) they have very closed availability or b) they are trying to get you to quit without actually firing you.

Well...in my store, when a TM gets only 1 or 2 shifts like that it's either because a) they have very closed availability or b) they are trying to get you to quit without actually firing you.

You got that right!! I've seen that done to lots of people. Maybe that's what they're trying to do.. had a conversation with a few other tms regarding this the other day. Seems as though they are only doing this to the veterans (I've been there for 8 years) because we make more money

4hrs is the minumum. We normally try to hit 8-15 when hours are really, really tight. But if you were the last hired you might get the 4hr week.

Talk to hr and let them know you are trained in lots of areas and are sulking to come in at short notice. Keep your uniform in the car.

This week coming is the shortest we've seen yet. The one past that isn't as bad (schedule just posted).

Like I've said, I've been there for 8 years already. The only time they call me to come in is when they know it is impossible for me....at night. I have a 6 year old at home with no one to watch her. I think they are calling me to come in at impossible times to hold it against me if and when I ask for more hours.

Definitely don't call the hotline they will call stl or ETL HR and it won't be hard to figure out who complained.

My idea is out there but I would have take advantage of Targets open door policy and ask the schedule writer for your two main work centers why they haven't scheduled you. They will tell you if it's attitude, availability etc. Then you can know for sure.

It has nothing to do with pay. Target schedules based on hours not pay. When I write a schedule I do not consider pay scale. In fact at my store veterans get more hours.

Like I've said, I've been there for 8 years already. The only time they call me to come in is when they know it is impossible for me....at night. I have a 6 year old at home with no one to watch her. I think they are calling me to come in at impossible times to hold it against me if and when I ask for more hours.
Wait so you're not available to work nights? That can be a reason why they aren't giving you many hours.

Wait so you're not available to work nights? That can be a reason why they aren't giving you many hours.

Yeah, I don't know the O.P.s workcenter but this time of year opening crews are pretty bare bones.

We don't have a softlines TM in until 10 outside of fitting room, no hardlines TM until noon. 2 cashiers open and then maybe 2 or 3 more until 1.

Definitely don't call the hotline they will call stl or ETL HR and it won't be hard to figure out who complained.

My idea is out there but I would have take advantage of Targets open door policy and ask the schedule writer for your two main work centers why they haven't scheduled you. They will tell you if it's attitude, availability etc. Then you can know for sure.

It has nothing to do with pay. Target schedules based on hours not pay. When I write a schedule I do not consider pay scale. In fact at my store veterans get more hours.

Want to come work for my store HRZone? LOL. I wish they thought like you at my store. The veterans are getting less hours than the newbies or team members that have been there maybe only a year or so.. I also understand some team members would get more hours than me based on availability but geez one day a week ? I have had conversations with other team members and have been told that for the other four days that I am not there , there is no one there so my question to my HR would be where all the hours going if there's never anyone there.. all they ever say is that the store hasn't made enough money to give us any more hours than what we are already receiving but there are times when I am there and they say this then they extend a lot of people for a few more hours so if there's no more hours to give out how were they extending some people ? when I ask and let them know that I am willing to stay they say oh you can't

That is absolutely true. I at one time was available anytime seven days a week but since having my daughter, I had to change my availability. I can no longer work at night. I'm sure if I was able to I would get more hours. That being said , instead of scheduling me one day a week during the day I would get one day a week at night.

Want to come work for my store HRZone? LOL. I wish they thought like you at my store. The veterans are getting less hours than the newbies or team members that have been there maybe only a year or so.. I also understand some team members would get more hours than me based on availability but geez one day a week ? I have had conversations with other team members and have been told that for the other four days that I am not there , there is no one there so my question to my HR would be where all the hours going if there's never anyone there.. all they ever say is that the store hasn't made enough money to give us any more hours than what we are already receiving but there are times when I am there and they say this then they extend a lot of people for a few more hours so if there's no more hours to give out how were they extending some people ? when I ask and let them know that I am willing to stay they say oh you can't
If they are letting people stay pay schedule they may have not scheduled all the hours so they have some banked to eat into. We cut other areas for Flow all the time.

I'd like to thank everyone for responding to my post. Thank you for all your opinions. I really appreciate it. I guess I just have to suck it up while it's slow or just continue to ask for hours... maybe one day I'll get lucky and they'll give me an extra day LOL

I'm sure you've already been doing this but - keep an eye on the swap shift board to grab any that come open, also keep a change of red & khaki in your car & your cell phone ON.
I used to swing by my store after dropping the kids off at school to see if they'd had any call-outs; picked up an avg of 2 shifts a week during those times.

Shit I never thought about that. I should try doing that on my days off when I have absolutely nothing to do but sink time.

Chat up your HRTMs, make sure they have your number & answer your phone - even if you have to decline.
They will put you on their A-list & you ALWAYS want to be on the good side of people who handle your hours/pay.
I treat my HRTM to coffee to stay on her good side :)

Chat up your HRTMs, make sure they have your number & answer your phone - even if you have to decline.
They will put you on their A-list & you ALWAYS want to be on the good side of people who handle your hours/pay.
I treat my HRTM to coffee to stay on her good side :)
And if they leave a voice mail calling back to say ya or nay.

I'm trained in almost every section you can work on for an overnight shift, as well as some planogram stuff like revisions and signing. They scheduled me for 2 days one week, while only scheduling me 3 the others. Those nights are all cut by an hour and half, so I'm working 3 nights, but missing almost half a shift from it.

I looked at the schedule, and I saw 13 employees on my team that were getting 4 or 5 days. Typed them into a lift on my phone with no one around, and I got pulled into the office for it. Was told that I was standing there with a piece of paper openly writing names in front of the team.
Talked to a STL on the dayside about it the next day, and got pulled into the office again later that shift for "continuing to complain". Was told that if I spoke to anyone else about it, I'd be written up. I've always been told they have an open door policy, and can go to them with anything. Yet when I have an issue, they brush me off as a complainer and ignore what's going on.
Now I'm in a position where I don't feel comfortable talking to HR about it, in fear of being retaliated against, and I don't have enough hours to keep my benefits.

I looked at the schedule, and I saw 13 employees on my team that were getting 4 or 5 days. Typed them into a lift on my phone with no one around, and I got pulled into the office for it. Was told that I was standing there with a piece of paper openly writing names in front of the team.

Rather than saying "well so and so is getting hours and I am not" I think it's wisest to always talk directly to the person who writes the schedule for your department.

Rather than saying "well so and so is getting hours and I am not" I think it's wisest to always talk directly to the person who writes the schedule for your department.
Tried it. He lied to my face by saying the hours were being distributed evenly and fairly. That's when I looked and saw how wrong he was.
After they chewed me out and enforced the "Our door is open if you have an issue", I went to them about someone bowling out a big aisle to the front. Not even checking where the boxes went down the aisle, just tossing them to the front. I was told "What did we tell you about complaining? Mind your own business.".

Happy Sunday everyone...
I have a quick question..all opinions are appreciated...
Does Target have the right to only give me one 5 hour shift a week? I am available full time and that's all I get?? When I ask for more hours, I'm told they don't have any to give...Should I call corporate?
Thank you everyone in advance

Yes. I wouldn't be working there long if that's what I was getting, but that might be what they want

Call corporate... they'll hook you up!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back