Archived Hour cuts, call-ins, and visits, OH MY! // Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deli Ninja

Formerly Softlines Ninja (Now in Deli Flavor)!
Between hour cuts, call-ins, NCNS, and graduation and mother's day traffic, our store looks like a pit. So, obviously, it's the best time for a visit! I didn't get specifics about who walked our store, but I suspect it was a DTL because of what they said. They stated that we couldn't use hour cuts as an excuse for the state of our store... even though that's at least half of what's going on here. I have never seen it this bad and it saddens and frustrates me! They then proceeded to give us a very short time to "make the store brand" and I'm not even sure they gave us any extra hours to do so. TLs are skipping breaks and saying things (perhaps not aiming for this effect) that are discouraging TMs and Brand from taking breaks. Furthermore, we're supposed to have 2 breaks and a lunch on an 8+ hour shift... Well, our operator never gets her second break. It's not put on the break/lunch schedule in the fitting room at all. Having some new operator-trained people in softlines now, I don't think they're standing up for themselves when it comes to breaks... meaning that they may only be getting a lunch some nights/days over the course of an 8-hour shift.

And that's not even starting on the state of the zone. It's like they think that, because they're cutting hours, we'll magically become more efficient!

This is anything but a positive work environment. Now that I'm done venting, I think I will write down my concerns in a logical, respectful manner and have a little chat with my ETL the next time I see her...

If team leads are discouraging or flat out telling you to not take your 15 minute breaks... that's a big no no. They can get in big trouble for that, can't they?

As far as I can tell, they're not doing it on purpose. One of them in particular will say things to the effect of, "I can't remember the last time I had a 15-minute break! Haha..." It's kind of sad. I think all the POGs to do and clothes to push to the floor are getting to her. From my point of view, it looks like the workload and the pressure from above is pushing TLs and TMs to skip breaks. My biggest concern when it comes to breaks is the operator's situation. I'm going to make it a point to remind the TL to schedule two breaks for the operator, if she hasn't already had one before the break schedule is written down.

When I GSA, I don't even try to fit in anything but my lunch. Breaks are just impossible to do by the time you get everyone else's breaks and lunches in, there's simply no time available that all the other cashiers are there. So I've found I just put my lunch in where it fits (being sure not to go into compliance) and call it good. Most of the LODs don't notice, so it's been okay so far.

I actually got in trouble for not taking my 15s so be careful on that one, they will get you coming and going.
I love the whole, "hour cuts are no excuse".
Because they will actually say that even if you are running up to cover register or vibing with guests all day long (which is supposed to be the front lines of the job) but your core roles aren't completed then you can be fired.

we had a girl termed for not taking breaks. she had been a thorn in the side and they wanted to get rid of her. her work performance was amazing. so they used it as an excuse, although 1/2 our store didn't take them and were openly encouraged not to. be careful. don't skip breaks. that's paid time for you to rest. don't let the pressure get to you or your team. not worth it.

I'm often guilty of skipping breaks or working during breaks and lunch. I've been openly chastised about it by ETLs who catch me. My ETL says, "Uh, that looks like work you're doing - it's not okay." Then he gives a list of stuff to do on Workbench for him. hahahaha

Our rather new PPTL (4months now) for the longest time only took lunches. No breaks. I was going to break one day and asked him if he wanted to go with me. He said, "I haven't been on a break in months." He and I are well, not friends, but we get along swimmingly. So, I said, "Not that I want it to happen, but if you are ever in the office getting coached for something or being fired, what will you say? But I never took a break in months. They don't care you you aren't taking breaks. They will ride you hard and then spit you out. So, let's go take a break."

Guess what? He started taking his morning break at least. I am proud of him because he works so hard and deserves to get a break.

Guy from AP will get pissed if he finds out someone isn't taking break. I'm not sure if it's company policy that mandates breaks but we can't really get away with skipping them if he's on the floor.

I used to skip breaks if I was busy but then I came to the realization, no matter HOW hard I work and how fast I get stuff done, I simply will NOT be able to do it all. Just can't. There's only so many hours in the day! So yes, I will take that free half-hour each shift since the outcome is still going to be the same, whether I work through or not. It was quite liberating. Of course, I have the luxury of working as a PA so I pretty much am my own boss when it comes to my daily schedule. When I worked at FA, I never got breaks unless I asked for them, which NO ONE was a fan of because it was such a hassle. I didn't mind it as much then, because things really could unravel quickly in 15 minutes and it was easier to just stay, and plus it was usually not that busy and there were corners I could sneak away to to check my phone for five minutes or something if I needed to. No biggie.

Just as the stores watch for Lunch Compliance....and are unhappy when someone breaches the times....the store can be fined for by (I think that it is OSHA) and can get into BIG trouble.
If the store LODs & STL are aware that breaks are not being taken then they can lose their jobs because they are breaking the law. Of course, they have to get caught....but that can easily happen. So, management will make sure that you take your breaks so that they aren't fined or termed. Now, if management doesn't know about these skipped breaks and someone reports these missed breaks (to HRBP) then heads will roll. Skipping breaks can cause the company BIG bucks.

Since I close most of the time, if I do work long enough to have 2 15's, a lot of the time I will skip that second one and just keep zoning or putting up reshop. It really depends on how I feel. Although our TL who is over market when he's there, will insist I take that second one.

I had one team member in the back room who used to fuss at us in the back because "all we ever did was take breaks", which is especially annoying at night....then we got him to start taking his breaks on a regular basis, and it was amazing the difference in the attitude.....I always use to tell him that I am there 5 hours a night during the week, and he's supposed to be on break for an hour of them, so don't fuss at me for taking my 15 minutes

Coming fron a bartending background, mandatory breaks were weird at first. Now I welcome them. It helps break up the monotony hearing words like zone, brand, and opportunity.

I think opportunity was the one word they so distorted out of context that it made me want to hurt somebody.

Last edited:
in my state you are legally required to take a 15 minute break every two hours. the statute is actually posted above the time clock in my store. target would get a pretty hefty fine and some bad press if it was found out TMs were being told not to take breaks. if it is really getting out of hand i would recommend calling one of your more labor friendly state senators.

Yeah, you want to be real, real careful about not taking breaks. Wal-Mart was notorious for that. And remember, not only you, but your higher ups, and the store you work for, can get in a LOT of trouble.

Plus, you need the break. It's your time...

Thanks for the support and statements, guys! If there is anything update-worthy, I'll make sure and post it here. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and I won't have anything to add!

Yeah, you want to be real, real careful about not taking breaks. Wal-Mart was notorious for that. And remember, not only you, but your higher ups, and the store you work for, can get in a LOT of trouble.

Actually, in most states, no they can't. There is no federal law that requires breaks and most states do not have laws that require them. Management only gets in trouble because they are violating company policy, not law.

Compliance Compliance Compliance ... is what is heard everytime we have huddle. Don't forget to clock out for lunch. Don't go into compliance. But I never hear talk of taking breaks. I always take my breaks. But my thinking is that most management doesn't care whether breaks are taken or not. I have heard the person covering electronics practically beg to have someone cover while they go to break. One poor guy shows up in the breakroom with the cordless phone abd his walkie on. I asked him why he had it and he said, "There isn't anyone to cover my break so I have to run back out there if the button goes off." Sad. But if you miss a lunch ... release the hounds of Hell cause that goes on a report somewhere.

Actually, in most states, no they can't. There is no federal law that requires breaks and most states do not have laws that require them. Management only gets in trouble because they are violating company policy, not law.

25 states do. Federal law does not require it but does have guidlines regulating it. And what people get in trouble for at the federal level, and Walmart suffered this, is intrerupting lunch breaks. Federal law requires that if you are required to do anything work related while on a non paid break, that break then becomes paid. And if a company tells you that you get a lunch break in their handbook or in other writting they can be sued for breach of contract for not giving them to you. So yes even if state and federal law do not require a lunch break if Target breaks its own policy they can be sued. Of course Target knows all this thus the strict enforcement of its lunch breaks.

Breaks are mandated by Target policy. We work for Target. Not taking the break is a violation of company policy. This should not even be a discussion topic.

Compliance Compliance Compliance ... is what is heard everytime we have huddle. Don't forget to clock out for lunch. Don't go into compliance. But I never hear talk of taking breaks. I always take my breaks. But my thinking is that most management doesn't care whether breaks are taken or not. I have heard the person covering electronics practically beg to have someone cover while they go to break. One poor guy shows up in the breakroom with the cordless phone abd his walkie on. I asked him why he had it and he said, "There isn't anyone to cover my break so I have to run back out there if the button goes off." Sad. But if you miss a lunch ... release the hounds of Hell cause that goes on a report somewhere.
That is insane! luckily my store is pretty good we fill out the daily break schedule everyday and are very strict making sure people go on their break at their scheduled time. When I am TLOD I put notes at the bottom of the grid (which we keep in electronics so all tm's can access it easily) The notes I put at the bottom are things like whos zoning where, whos covering the ELE breaks and what time our evening huddle is.

Breaks are mandated by Target policy. We work for Target. Not taking the break is a violation of company policy. This should not even be a discussion topic.

As long as corporate's priority is to slash hours to the barest minimum & then some, there will always be eager beaver Tms who work through their breaks (and some even work through their meal break also after punching out) because any tm who can still finish the job no matter how little 'official' time they have are the tms who are most valuable.

And there will always be ETLs & TLs who will look the other way because 1) they want to be able to report their shift was a success & that their tms can accomplish (the impossible) under their guidance & 2) ETLs get a nice bonus the more hours they save.

Essentially, you have people working for free. And since some are willing to do that because it makes them appear to be SUPER WORKERS who can do what regular people cannot because they are loafing off taking breaks.

Corporate profits & they like it this way. Their goal is to save pennies anyway they can & they succeed on the backs of the lowly & expendable tms.

Not every exploited worker employeed by Target or Walmart lives in Bangladesh or China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back