Hours are taking massive plunge soon why ?

Why are hours getting cut ? At my store anyways from what I found out from one of the higher ups who told me... Hours are taking a massive dive week after next one. Is this Target trying to get money back from that temporary 2 dollar raise ?

Hours were not cut exactly.
Because of the massive number of online orders, every store got relief payroll for April. Stores had lots of people go on LOA. This gave anyone who wanted hours all they could handle. HQ panics and tells your store to hire. Then realized that there won't be as much online business as they had expected, but your store has already hired people. People start returning from leave. Now, there are a lot more mouths to feed from the same pot. I imagine most stores will start cutting loose the seasonals.

Over the past 24 hours I've wrote 3 different schedules for next week in my calendar. Yep, can't make up their mind if their taking away or giving.

Which sucks for the seasonal TMs who still don't have their other jobs to go back to....
Assuming the seasonals aren't teenagers with no prior work history, if they have enough hours to apply for UI they will reap a financial bonanza for the next 3 months since Congress and Mr. Trump authorized each weeks UI benefits be supplemented with an additional $600/week. Maybe those laid-off seasonals will be laughing at the Target hourly TMs who are making less than that...

It's starting to become the mantra.... "this is the time of the year where it's slow..." I remember when that was mid January to mid March, now it's January to August. It's hard to save up when the bills still need to be paid.
You have a point. We used to have two separate slow periods, the second being from mid-May to the "dog days of summer" at the end of July. But we still gotta keep hiring new TMs, even if it means cutting the hours of existing TMs. I've actually done okay during these cycles and can usually pick up an extra shift during hard times, but YMMV and ASANTS.

This must vary by location. I don’t know anyone at my store that I talk to that has had their hours cut. We added hours last week and have beat our sales goal every day for the past two months despite closing two hours earlier than last year. Heck, I think we beat our sales goal on Thursday by almost $100,000.
Online orders are thru the roof. Almost everyone that is willing to cross train at my store can pick up hours picking or packing orders.

This must vary by location. I don’t know anyone at my store that I talk to that has had their hours cut. We added hours last week and have beat our sales goal every day for the past two months despite closing two hours earlier than last year. Heck, I think we beat our sales goal on Thursday by almost $100,000.
Online orders are thru the roof. Almost everyone that is willing to cross train at my store can pick up hours picking or packing orders.
sure, last week/this week good. Have you looked ahead at the new schedule ?
even though sales are good and we are busy, there are 2 other factors in play now:
1. Some seasonals still here sharing hours with returning loa tm’s - pie cut into more pieces
2. Pay increases in effect - same payroll dollar bucket means fewer hours to schedule to stay at the same cost.

I didn’t look at every page of the new schedule but I took a pic of the page that had my schedule on it. Out of 12 TMs 7 are scheduled more than 30 hours. (Only one of them is a TL.) Only 3 TMs are at 20 hours or less and I know one of those has very limited availability.

Sorry about hours being cut at your store. I guess it all depends on location.

My store is making sales. We're way over forecast. Fulfillment comp is 300-500% everyday. Originated comp is 40-50% daily. Hours have been cut severely. Since inbounds went overnight, GM is down to the TLs and (on some days) one TM. Beauty is there for 4 hours a day. Tech gets a mid. Style is down to 2 TMs in the late morning/afternoon and another one at night. It's brutal.

Yep it’s the overnights that are killing us now. Not just in payroll but lack of bodies dayside for sales floor.

It's starting to become the mantra.... "this is the time of the year where it's slow..." I remember when that was mid January to mid March, now it's January to August. It's hard to save up when the bills still need to be paid.
I don't think this year will ever have a slow time period. I was really looking forward for it to slow down so I could get more accustomed to a lot of things more easily and relaxed.

Hours are still fairly high at my store - even on latest schedule. Plus, we're still hiring. We've had 3 orientations this week.

Only got 24 hours for week after next week.... I usually get 36-37 hours so quite a massive hit.......

Back