Hours are taking massive plunge soon why ?

Sales through the roof but style and beauty slashed. Front end cut but only a bit. We also didn't hire any front end seasonal TMs (other than cleaners) so that might be why we are still getting decent hours.

Hours for Tech at my store was cut severely, along with what I'm reading almost all stores. Even though Tech purchases are through the roof here and the trucks generally contains street-dated merch that should be dealt with ASAP and items that need to be brought out to the floor with proper security. Okay.

we haven’t made sales on a single day since mid march and in fact have been down 15-30% every day :confused: so starting next week hours are being cut 30-40% in every workcenter
Do you not have sfs? Only a few pack stations? What are your state restrictions? We have 8 pack stations and get 8000 orders a day plus a TON of drive ups. The damn horn honks every few minutes all day. All “nonessential” stores had to close here so other than Walmart Kroger menards Target and Lowe’s, everyone else is closed. Our sfs sales is more than Instore sales, and Instore sales only dipped about 25,000 a day. So we make sales by around 100,000 a day every day.

Do you not have sfs? Only a few pack stations? What are your state restrictions? We have 8 pack stations and get 8000 orders a day plus a TON of drive ups. The damn horn honks every few minutes all day. All “nonessential” stores had to close here so other than Walmart Kroger menards Target and Lowe’s, everyone else is closed. Our sfs sales is more than Instore sales, and Instore sales only dipped about 25,000 a day. So we make sales by around 100,000 a day every day.

no sfs sadly

Any time Target (or most businesses) expend a large quantity of money, or announce something that logically leads to them expending large amounts of money, expect hours to be cut.

I'm not going to do the legwork, but if you want to go look - you can easily see the correlation. A example is expenditures on SCO tied to the wage increases, followed by front end cuts. It all follows a logical curve.

I would imagine as Target is expending money paying hazard pay, they will cut payroll to compensate. When all of this insanity is over, payroll will increase but not quite to the level it was. Scarcity is a key driver of innovation.

If you live in a state that offers partial unemployment benefits and your hours have been cut.
FILE FOR PARTIAL UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!
If you qualify for any amount you will also be eligible for the federal $600 unemployment which lasts until June 30th.

My store is making sales. We're way over forecast. Fulfillment comp is 300-500% everyday. Originated comp is 40-50% daily. Hours have been cut severely. Since inbounds went overnight, GM is down to the TLs and (on some days) one TM. Beauty is there for 4 hours a day. Tech gets a mid. Style is down to 2 TMs in the late morning/afternoon and another one at night. It's brutal.

Ours is similar. For May hours were cut even more and we've been told that maybe the 3rd or 4th week they'll be able to add some more in. I'm in beauty and our shifts are all mid-day now, one a day and only between 6-7 hours (11-6 or 11-7). Our store sales are through the roof and beauty alone hits goal before 2pm (3pm on a "slow" day). The area is always trashed now and we're so busy filling in for Tech and cashier + answering the phone that we don't have time to push let alone zone. Also, reshop? LOL no time..

The last week of April I picked up enough beauty shifts to be at 40 hours. One day three of us were on and they also had someone at night catch up on our repacks for us. We're still not caught up. If we could stick to our area rather than constantly having to cashier (Tech is usually only for that persons 30 min break so it's not bad) we'd be a little better off. We only have one actual cashier on in addition to self checkout and one person at guest services. We're so busy they need at least 2 more cashiers on all day, 3 would be better. Wishful thinking lol I'm just tired of being a cashier more than I'm on the floor. /endwhine :p

95934201_1831194427073129_6474160202215063552_o.jpg

A generation ago, from conversations with retired folks who worked in retail during the 1960s and 1970s, many of the regular workaday jobs in retail stores had a fixed 40-hours-a-week schedule. This was particularly true at places like hardware stores, drugstores, lumber yards, appliance and electronics dealers, and (if memory serves me correctly) some department stores like Sears. I don't know if this commitment to 40-hours-per-week for regular store employees ever was the case at Target, nor do I know exactly when most retail businesses switched over to hourly-only staff for workaday jobs in the stores, this might have been in the 1980s. Just a little stroll through the history of retailing....

A generation ago, from conversations with retired folks who worked in retail during the 1960s and 1970s, many of the regular workaday jobs in retail stores had a fixed 40-hours-a-week schedule. This was particularly true at places like hardware stores, drugstores, lumber yards, appliance and electronics dealers, and (if memory serves me correctly) some department stores like Sears. I don't know if this commitment to 40-hours-per-week for regular store employees ever was the case at Target, nor do I know exactly when most retail businesses switched over to hourly-only staff for workaday jobs in the stores, this might have been in the 1980s. Just a little stroll through the history of retailing....

Prior to when I left, I was in charge of replenishment, I had multiple (5) full time 40 hour employees, 3 on flow 2 on backroom. My refusal to stop scheduling them full time hours was a huge issue for my SM and some of the strain it caused was one of the key drivers in my leaving.

Also she was a complete shit SM who once told me "I don't need to understand the flow process to manage it" but that's beside the point.

[/QUOTE

My thoughts on why this is true:
1. Retail jobs used to be respectable and held by adults with families to support. Hence, they were reliable employees, compensated and treated well.
Fast forward to a time when “Every child MUST go to college“ to earn a wage that supports a family and .....
2. Revolving door of temp. Employees, kids that didn’t ‘need‘ this job calling out at will, lots of ‘this us a temporary stepping stone for me.....

‘Both are ways how we got where we are today.
Retail needs more individual bodies to cover and they all can’t be full time, loss of a part time employee is easier to cover.

Back