Archived Hours / Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this happened to anyone? I've been at Target almost 90 days, this is my second job. I recently tried to change my availability because I was getting around 30 hrs a week (way too much for a 2nd job). I put in to have a max of 20 hrs a week and I wanted to work earlier on Saturdays (they give me EVERY Saturday until 11pm, when I'm available all day). Since my primary job is M-F, I can't start until 6pm, so I'm fine with closing during the week. They denied my availability request because of my new restriction on Saturday. I put in that I didn't want to work past 8pm. I felt this was very reasonable as it gave them the flexibility to put me on any time during the day. You would have thought I was refusing to work Saturdays based on the comment I received on my denied request. Meanwhile, others can get only daytime hours if they want and that's ok. I think this is really unfair. Any thoughts???

Has this happened to anyone? I've been at Target almost 90 days, this is my second job. I recently tried to change my availability because I was getting around 30 hrs a week (way too much for a 2nd job). I put in to have a max of 20 hrs a week and I wanted to work earlier on Saturdays (they give me EVERY Saturday until 11pm, when I'm available all day). Since my primary job is M-F, I can't start until 6pm, so I'm fine with closing during the week. They denied my availability request because of my new restriction on Saturday. I put in that I didn't want to work past 8pm. I felt this was very reasonable as it gave them the flexibility to put me on any time during the day. You would have thought I was refusing to work Saturdays based on the comment I received on my denied request. Meanwhile, others can get only daytime hours if they want and that's ok. I think this is really unfair. Any thoughts???

People can get the hours they want if they are favorites of the ETL's. There isn't much you can do about it. Your best bet is going to HR and pleading your case, or find another job that will be more flexible.

I would suggest talking to the person who writes your schedule and ask if you could have a non-closing shift maybe one Saturday a month, or even every other Saturday. Once they trap you in a weekend closing shift, it's very hard to worm your way out of it. Still, I've seen it happen.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this: 1) you've been at Target less than 90 days and are already trying to change your availability; 2) you don't really have a good reason for changing your availability (conflicting school, work, etc.); 3) you think despite 1) and 2) that the situation is unfair without really considering any other factors besides what immediately affects you (some team members might have requested off, there's a greater need for manpower during Saturday evening shifts, etc.).

I work a M-F 9-5:30 job too. I can't get in until 6 on weekdays too. I work weekends all the time. Sorry to be blunt, but suck it up. If you don't want to work, then give it away to someone. Coming here to whine about it garners zero sympathy from me.

OP here is a newsflash for you. Every other TM that closes on a Saturday would much rather only work during the daytime or until 8pm.

You won't be able to change your avail until you've been with spot 90+ days.
That said, you can REQUEST a change of avail but they may not approve it because they hired you based on the original avail you gave them.
If you were taking classes or had a compelling need to request a change, you might have had a better chance.
But to simply *want* Saturday nights off isn't a legit enough reason.
You could request a Sat night off but again, it might not be approved.
Those 'others who work days' may have a 2nd job elsewhere because Target IS their primary job.

Pretty much what other people said. For the most part everyone, tm to STL has to be available on nights and weekends. I would see about trying to get an opening shift every few Saturdays or request a Saturday off every now and then. Most new hires for salesfloor only close for quite a while. I suggest trying to stand out at night for good reasons. Be able to finish your area and help out others. Have a positive attitude. Showing that you're able to get stuff done might help you snag some dayside shifts. Most people that work dayside on the salesfloor are TLs and more experienced tms, but even they close on the weekends fairly often too. Just be glad it wasn't like it was around 5 years ago when closing meant 1 or 2 am on any and every night of the week.

I wasn't whining first of all! I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing as myself. I am more than willing to work my share of days and nights but I feel that they should be fair to everyone. I have been working for 25 years, 12 years at one company. Working 70+ hours between 2 jobs as you know is not fun! That being said, I'm doing my best to make it work, but I do have to do what's best for me too. I was simply trying to seek advice from some fellow team members, NOT sympathy.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Prior to posting this, I had already had a conversation with my TL and she was the one who suggested the availability change, even though my 90 days is very close to expiring ( in less than 2 weeks). I have worked retail for a long time although this is the first time in 12 years. I believe that HR will at least decrease my hours to 20 hrs a week, so that's a start. I've always strived at being a hard worker, a team player and able to get along with everyone, hopefully these qualities will continue to shine during my tenure at Target.

Your ETLs should be doing what they can to make sure you are staying at or under your max hours preference. At times you might be scheduled for more (4th quarter and other busy or short staffed times), but for the most part I don't think the 20 hours should be an issue. If you're wanting to have Saturday nights off a way to go might be seeing if you can cross train on flow and work your weekends there if you don't mind early morning shifts. It's just that usually with softlines only getting so many hours, TLs and brand tms are going to get the majority of dayside shifts and there's going to be more salesfloor shifts for closing than mids or opens.

I'm not looking to be promoted at Target anyway. It's a 2nd job, not a career.

I heard they're getting more strict about availability changes. We've had one TM quit over it already, because like you, she got a second job and they didn't approve her change, and since her other job paid more, she chose that over the spot. Of course they usually frown upon changing availability within the first 90 days, but if you try explaining your situation in person, they might make an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back