Hours Being Cut

blueTieGuy

The Ex Tech Guy
Anyone else’s hours being severely cut? I’m currently the store ambassador for our remodel. My schedule had me initially at 33-35 hours a week. But in the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed that my hours have been cut in half, averaging only about 15-16 hours a week. I’ve tried bringing this up to my ETL, mentioning that I’d like my normal full time hours if possible and she seemed happy to give me what I had requested but then I see that my schedule is still basically nonexistent. Is this normal given the new quarter and the remodel finishing up, or are they really trying to get me out?

Last edited:
Remodel hours tend to be plentiful and if your store is wrapping up, there is less for you to do. What did you do before this current role?

Anyone else’s hours being severely cut? I’m currently the store ambassador for our remodel. My schedule had me initially at 33-35 hours a week. But in the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed that my hours have been cut in half, averaging only about 15-16 hours a week. I’ve tried bringing this up to my ETL, mentioning that I’d like my normal full time hours if possible and she seemed happy to give me what I had requested but then I see that my schedule is still basically nonexistent. Is this normal given the new quarter and the remodel finishing up, or are they really trying to get me out?
If remodel is winding up, so is the payroll.

“And in those days men shall seek the bag and shall not find it; they shall long for the bag, and the bag shall flee from them...”

Your cut in hours are paying the TM raises, leadership bonuses, the remodel? Could all be factored in. My department is now 40% opu but we ll never get more hands to minimize inf. So the oputm will get blamed. Target greetings knows no bounds.

I know Tech hours have been really sparse lately too. Which is likely why you've seen the dip- no remodel.gours and no tech hours either.
Our store tried to screw over our tech TMs by hiring another person so everyone got got less hours.

Now that newest Tm is quitting already and another is starting an internship soon.

:p

Our store tried to screw over our tech TMs by hiring another person so everyone got got less hours.

Now that newest Tm is quitting already and another is starting an internship soon.

:p

We can't keep Tech TMs either. One just put in their 2 week notice, one is leaving because of a move, and the other 2 are very part time. Our Style team is stretched very thin covering for them and getting burned out in the process.

We can't keep Tech TMs either. One just put in their 2 week notice, one is leaving because of a move, and the other 2 are very part time. Our Style team is stretched very thin covering for them and getting burned out in the process.
Speaking as a former tech TM though, it’s hard. It’s hard trying to keep up with the work load as well as getting called back for a guest every few minutes. And don’t even get me going on Consumer Cellular 🤮So glad I don't work in that dept anymore.

Last edited:
Speaking as a former tech TM though, it’s hard. It’s hard trying to keep up with the work load as well as getting called back for a guest every few minutes. And don’t even get me going on Consumer Cellular 🤮So glad I don't work in that dept anymore.
Oh so true!

Our Tech TM was complaining just last night it is hard to do pulls when you have to go back and forth from the back ten times a night.

The guests have NO PATIENCE when it comes to Tech.

If you don't want to wait then go somewhere else!

Oh so true!

Our Tech TM was complaining just last night it is hard to do pulls when you have to go back and forth from the back ten times a night.

The guests have NO PATIENCE when it comes to Tech.

If you don't want to wait then go somewhere else!
See, I disagree with this. Any department that has its own registers and has a lot of items that are locked up and require an employee to access them should absolutely have someone there at all times to help the customers. I can see it being unmanned for breaks and lunches, but in a perfect world someone else should be there to cover or at least be nearby (preferrably within earshot).

They page for help to Tech constantly. Think about it from the customer's perspective - you want to buy something that is locked up, or you have a question about a Tech item, and there is no one around. You have to hunt down an employee, ask them for help, then wait while they page someone who may or may not come. This is not good customer service. I've no doubt Target has lost tons of sales because of this very scenario.

If a Tech TM's tasks can't be completed on the floor then they shouldn't be doing them, or someone else should be covering the floor. I'm siding with guests on this one.

See, I disagree with this. Any department that has its own registers and has a lot of items that are locked up and require an employee to access them should absolutely have someone there at all times to help the customers. I can see it being unmanned for breaks and lunches, but in a perfect world someone else should be there to cover or at least be nearby (preferrably within earshot).

They page for help to Tech constantly. Think about it from the customer's perspective - you want to buy something that is locked up, or you have a question about a Tech item, and there is no one around. You have to hunt down an employee, ask them for help, then wait while they page someone who may or may not come. This is not good customer service. I've no doubt Target has lost tons of sales because of this very scenario.

If a Tech TM's tasks can't be completed on the floor then they shouldn't be doing them, or someone else should be covering the floor. I'm siding with guests on this one.
Valid points except they make our Tech TM pull other departments like toys and seasonal because they are near by.

Also half the time the Tech TM leaves before we close anyway.

It really boils down to not have adequate coverage of the floor which is a problem in all departments.

Valid points except they make our Tech TM pull other departments like toys and seasonal because they are near by.

It really boils down to not have adequate coverage of the floor which is a problem in all departments.
Our store for sure. But we ll also have 4-5 TL s present with idle hands regardless. They walk around staring at their mydevice or ask tm s tons of questions on the walkie...so do nothing ,don't engage guests, and stop tm s from working to answer the walkie. If they find out you've been swamped with guests and your push is piling up...they don't send help anyway.

It absolutely is a problem in all areas. In my opinion Tech, Guest Services, registers, and in a perfect world, Fitting Room, should be staffed at all times. TMs working those areas should not be pulled to do anything else.

It absolutely is a problem in all areas. In my opinion Tech, Guest Services, registers, and in a perfect world, Fitting Room, should be staffed at all times. TMs working those areas should not be pulled to do anything else.
Exactly. I always hated having to ask for someone to cover my breaks because they never considered having two people working for Tech to make things easier for everyone. I also felt bad for the Style members for always having to stop what they were doing and cover for us.

Exactly. I always hated having to ask for someone to cover my breaks because they never considered having two people working for Tech. I also felt bad for the Style members for always having to cover for us.
Blessedly, Style in my store is never asked to cover. It's just never been a thing. Toys or other GM used to cover, but with the floor at bare bones, it's TLs who respond now for the most part.

Blessedly, Style in my store is never asked to cover. It's just never been a thing. Toys or other GM used to cover, but with the floor at bare bones, it's TLs who respond now for the most part.
And that’s how it should be store wide. It was such a pain having to constantly ask for someone to relieve me for my meal. Especially when my multiple calls would go unanswered, even from my own TL at times.

Last edited:
your tl needs to cover your break, if no one else can. at my store, the etl covers tech's break.
Right, it’s gotten to the point that I’ve seen the tech TM just decide to go so they don’t hit compliance and deal with it later.

Back