Hours for Sales floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedijenchan

new kid
At no point in my interviews of hiring process was I told that Sales Floor was going to be nights only. I have a 34 1/2 hour workweek next week. I have one weekend where I am working from 5 to midnight, and then on Sunday from 8am to 4pm. Is this normal? When am I supposed to sleep/rest? Sales floor is not exactly the easiest or low activity job. I am not going to be able to function on that little sleep, especially those long hours.

Can I ask them to not schedule me like that? I mean, I'll work nights, but not a late night and then and early morning. That's inhumane. Is this the way they work? I mean, they say that your schedule is "flexible" and that your health is important, and then they do this to you on your first full week? This is unacceptable to me.

This is really not what I was looking for. I was looking for ONLY a few nights a week. Yes, I expected weekends, but not like this.

I see why this place is anti union. They can work you to death..

Be grateful you're not coming back earlier for ad-setup. They've done that to me a couple of times...

I hate that closing then opening shifts it's ridiculous. I have told them I don't like that. I don't mind working until 11.45 just don't schedule me 8am the next day, I'd rather just close the next day so I can sleep. I work salesfloor as well, just talk to them

This used to be something they would avoid. Now its just buiness as usual. After all who better to help guests on a Sunday morning than an exausted grumpy team member who did not get home until 1 AM and had to be back at 8AM. Makes perfect sense....

It's also possible that it was a mistake that they didn't catch while reviewing the schedule; they're not *always* trying to be malicious :p Just talk to your LOD or HR, and they may be willing to work something out where they push your shift back an hour or two. As for SF shifts being mostly closing shifts, if your store is anything like mine, we don't have the payroll to have an opener on the sales floor, so they leave the vibing with guests up to the specialty teams in the morning, and then bitch at us when our work doesn't get done. Then we focus on our work and get bitched at for not responding to backup... Anyways... Just talk to someone as soon as you can. Call if you have to, but whatever you do don't wait until the day of and then wonder why they couldn't change it for you.

The joys of clopening.
The only good thing about it is there are no surprises when you walk in the door in the morning.
Talk to them see if they can push you back, it's always possible that they didn't notice the two days butting up against each other like that.
Sometimes though, if they don't have enough bodies ...

They did give you, 8 hours between your shifts. I have seen 6 hours between shifts, which is not best practice.
I would take the am shift vs Sunday close, any day of the week.

The nice thing about clopening is that it means you aren't closing 5 nights a week....or at least that's what I tell myself...

From the movie The Big Chill.

Michael: I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.

Sam Weber: Ah, come on. Nothing's more important than sex.

Michael: Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?

There is one day shift for hard lines and one for soft lines at my store. But they don't come in until later, and the new people can pretty much count on not getting that shift pretty well ever.

Thanks everyone! I'm not feeling real positive about this job. I really hope that I can work our something with my HR I'm trying to be positive, but I see my quality of life declining since I won't be able to be social or see my fiance, since he works a 9-5. It's depressing to know that I won't be able to have much of a life outside of this part time job...

I'm hoping this was a mistake, and the computer just did this. Not including the hour commute (on a bus both ways), the time to sleep, and the time to prepare for work, that leaves me with only 6 hours of sleep, providing I get asleep right away. plus the second shift is 8 full hours after a full 7 hours with little sleep.

Sorry I need a full 8 hours of sleep to deal with a full 8 hours of full on retail work.

So, do I talk to my HR person? I really don't understand how the chain of command...
Should I go through the eHR computer?

Talk to your ETL and HR. If your store is low volume, there may not be much they can do unless you work cashing shifts* instead due to the lack of sales floor hours. At my store, which is relatively high volume, we only have TMs (not including Merchandising Brand TMs) scheduled on the sales floor for early shifts during the busiest parts of the year. During January, May, October, etc., only TLs and Merchandising Brand TMs get morning shifts.

*I can't say the same for other stores, but at my store, cashier and dayside backroom are the only workcenters that really offer much flexibility.

This is unfortunately how it is now, it used to be ALOT better back in the day...half our closing team members for backroom come back the next morning at 4am...it sucks really bad.

But let me be the one to tell you...everything that you expect out of target will most likely wont happen, (at least at my store) they are NOT flexible, they do NOT give great pay, they do NOT care about your well being, they DONT care about your social life, if you have the ability to come in and push out a cart of re shop/CAFs, then thats all they see you as, there laborers that they expect alot out of, they DONT care if you go home pissed off, angry or sad, as long as they make sales, they DONT care about you. Target isnt everything that they say they are, unfortunately i had alot of hope in that place but it made a total 180 degree turn in the wrong direction.

Get used to it closer/openers are expected. And not able to spend time with one's family. Retail is hard on everyone. Target doesn't care about your family/social life. All they care about is you working at Target. And if you complain about them, you might see your hours decline. Thats just retail.

Just make sure you your store mandates the 8 hrs between shifts. If it does, you will have to clock out and leave by midnight and not clock back in until 8am the next day.

I used to drive an hour to work at one store. So with my closer/openers (cashier/cart attendnant/Food Ave/salesfloor/service desk), I got less than 6 hours sleep.

Be glad that it's now a policy to have everyone out within an hour after closing. We used to have to stay until the zone was perfect and all reshop was done no matter how long it took. There were a couple of nights I slept in the team lead office because we were stuck there until 2 am and I was scheduled to come back in at 6 for the ad.

Get used to it closer/openers are expected. And not able to spend time with one's family. Retail is hard on everyone. Target doesn't care about your family/social life. All they care about is you working at Target. And if you complain about them, you might see your hours decline. Thats just retail.

Just make sure you your store mandates the 8 hrs between shifts. If it does, you will have to clock out and leave by midnight and not clock back in until 8am the next day.

I used to drive an hour to work at one store. So with my closer/openers (cashier/cart attendnant/Food Ave/salesfloor/service desk), I got less than 6 hours sleep.

That's really unfortunate to hear. I am going to have to work with them on this, I require 8hrs of sleep.

At my store, for years, if you left at midnight then you were not allowed to come back in till 8AM...they said it was a law or something.
Then all of a sudden last year they said "we found out its not a hard and fast rule to have 8 hours between shifts, its just a "guideline"....so now
we sometimes work with only 6-7 hours between shifts. How convenient for Target that they suddenly "discovered" this !

They did give you, 8 hours between your shifts. I have seen 6 hours between shifts, which is not best practice.
I would take the am shift vs Sunday close, any day of the week.

I did this Sunday night. Luckily, Sunday's we close at 10 and are out at 11 but it was still hard. I didn't sleep at all well. I did have one shift over Christmas when we were open till Midnight (we weren't out till close to 1:30 if I remember right) and I was scheduled at 8 the next day. When I said something to our etl-hr, she said they didn't do the 8 hrs between shifts anymore. However, on the actual night the one LOD told me not to come in until 10 the next morning. It was still hard but not as bad as it could have been.

I have a set schedule and I do two clopens a week. One is a midnight close (store closes at 11; clock out by 12, at least until Q4 when it will be later I'm sure) with the open at 6:30 am. Retail is not for wimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back