Archived Hours that Your Store is Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats actually an offensive statement. Don't be that way.
Those people then believed that certain things shouldn't be done on certain days, and their was legistation when outliers refused. People called them sunday laws because thats the day they were enacted to promote rest. Yes they can be religiously motivated. The U.S. Supreme Court has held blue laws as constitutional numerous times, citing secular basis such as securing a day of rest for mail carriers, as well as protecting workers and families, in turn contributing to societal stability and guaranteeing the free exercise of religion. The origin of the blue laws also partially stems from religion, particularly the prohibition of Sabbath desecration in Christian Churches following the first-day Sabbatarian tradition. Both labour unions and trade associations have historically supported the legislation of blue laws.

Supreme court also has upheld a christian cross as nonreligious, so let's not push their opinion as tried and true.

Although many blue laws that currently exist, exist from inertia rather than anything else.

Supreme court also has upheld a christian cross as nonreligious, so let's not push their opinion as tried and true.

Although many blue laws that currently exist, exist from inertia rather than anything else.
This is true.

Didn’t know mine was going to be the worst.

Monday-Sunday 7am-12am

I grew up (still here) in a blue law state although with the exception of alcohol -which you can get a special permit -expensive, hard to get and requires neighborhood signatures or be a bar with a package goods permit and car dealerships (county by county) closed on Sundays most aspects of blue laws have been repealed. Growing up in a secular house I was always told that blue laws were put in place to protect small businesses who might be run by the owners and a limited number of employees. It helped them compete with mega stores (box stores) and allowed the small business to close on Sundays and certain holidays without having to worry that the big store competition would gain an advantage.

Funny thing is I went to a middle school that had a moment of silence after the pledge of allegiance and it was never once mentioned by anyone that you were supposed to pray or could pray if you wanted to, just a moment of silence. I found out years later that it was associated with prayer. As an 11 -13 year old I thought we were supposed to think patriotic thoughts and contemplate living in the US and always thought it was sort of dumb.

My store is 8am-11pm, 8am-10pm on sundays.

The shopping center we're in, everything is dark on sundays for hours before we close. I think the darkness and the fact that it's unnecessary to be open so late where we are keeps people from shopping at a certain point. Our walmart went 24 hours and then decided it cost too much to do that so now they close lol. When I applied for the job (5.5-ish years ago) I put open availability because I was too dumb to look up the actual hours of the store. I got into the interview and was all "wait... what? 11 o'clock????"

Last edited:
Thats actually an offensive statement. Don't be that way.
Those people then believed that certain things shouldn't be done on certain days, and their was legistation when outliers refused. People called them sunday laws because thats the day they were enacted to promote rest. Yes they can be religiously motivated. The U.S. Supreme Court has held blue laws as constitutional numerous times, citing secular basis such as securing a day of rest for mail carriers, as well as protecting workers and families, in turn contributing to societal stability and guaranteeing the free exercise of religion. The origin of the blue laws also partially stems from religion, particularly the prohibition of Sabbath desecration in Christian Churches following the first-day Sabbatarian tradition. Both labour unions and trade associations have historically supported the legislation of blue laws.

Most blue laws have been repealed in the United States, although many states still ban the sale of alcoholic beverages or cars on Sundays. Bergen County, New Jersey is notable for their blue laws banning the sale of clothing, shoes, furniture, home supplies and appliances on Sundays kept through county-wide referendum. I am assuming your store is either there or Utah.

In the United States, judges have defended blue laws "in terms of their secular benefit to workers", holding that "the laws were essential to social well-being". Chief Justice Stephen Johnson Field, with regard to Sunday blue laws, stated:

Its requirement is a cessation from labor. In its enactment, the legislature has given the sanction of law to a rule of conduct, which the entire civilized world recognizes as essential to the physical and moral well-being of society. Upon no subject is there such a concurrence of opinion, among philosophers, moralists and statesmen of all nations, as on the necessity of periodical cessation from labor. One day in seven is the rule, founded in experience and sustained by science. ... The prohibition of secular business on Sunday is advocated on the ground that by it the general welfare is advanced, labor protected, and the moral and physical well-being of society promoted.

— Hennington v. Georgia, 163 U.S. 299 [1896]

In Texas, for example, blue laws prohibited selling housewares such as pots, pans, and washing machines on Sunday until 1985. In Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, New Jersey, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, car dealerships continue to operate under blue-law prohibitions in which an automobile may not be purchased or traded on a Sunday. Maryland permits Sunday automobile sales only in the counties of Charles, Prince George's, Montgomery, and Howard; similarly, Michigan restricts Sunday sales to only those counties with a population of less than 130,000. Texas and Utah prohibit car dealerships from operating over consecutive weekend days. In some cases these laws were created or retained with the support of those whom they affected, to allow them a day off each week without fear of their competitors still being open.

Blue laws may also prohibit retail activity on days other than Sunday. In Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maine for example, blue laws prohibit most retail stores, including grocery stores, from opening on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Anyways it's some dumb religious thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back