Archived How best to deal with 10+ in express?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really two questions:
People who bring more than 10 items to express have always annoyed me, but now that I'm a GSA and may need to get off a lane to help a cashier or SDTM, huge checkouts throw a monkey wrench in the whole system. I don't know how to deal with them. I try to direct them away if I see them coming, but sometimes if I'm busy they sneak up. Or they hide the extras. Then sending them away once they're unloading will just start a fight. Also Couponers and people who want to do multiple transactions. I'm like, I know it's technically under ten items, but you're just abusing express. Then once you get a line, they throw a fit if you get off to help a cashier no matter how much you explain that you're supervising and need to make sure your cashiers' issues are resolved. When I get a line in express (My store doesn't really apply 1+1 to express) how do I ever get off?

If they have too many items for express, simply tell them that. If they put up a fight it's their fault that they thought they could be slick and come to the express. Kindly redirect them to a normal cashier and then continue helping people with <10 items. Sometimes the simple answers are all that's needed.

I will kick someone out who tries to hide multiple items. Up at electronics we do 10 items or less so it kinda is like express in a way. Anyone who tries to be like "but multiple transactions!" or my personal fave "the line up front is too long!!" gets "srry but I cant be tied up in transactions when im the only one here" or something similar

if they throw a fit at your im the supervisor tough shit for them and gl them like I WANNA TALK 2 MANAGER just kick em out of your lane

void that shit mid transaction thatll show them

Whenever I call for guests at express I always say "I can take the next EXPRESS guest. EXPRESS"

I don't actually count items but if it's like obviously more than 10-15 I don't take them.

Last edited:
At my store GSA/GSTL cannot be on a lane unless LOD comes to watch the lanes for them. You don't want to get stuck up there with a complicated guest when you have multiple lights blinking. Ideally, when you tell a guest "Oh sorry, these lanes are for 10 items or less only, but this lane right over here should only take a moment!" they won't be too upset. Of course, there is also the group of people that will become extremely upset by asking them to move. Then you hope you have an LOD who backs you up because it's awkward getting the LOD that will tell you to ring up their huge cart anyways and then you have a smug asshole guest who will do it again the next time they're in. :rolleyes:

Whenever I call for guests at express I always say "I can take the next EXPRESS guest. EXPRESS"

I don't actually count items but if it's like obviously more than 10-15 I don't take them.
I think it's kind of funny that I'll see guests circling my lane, counting their items for fear of having 11 items lol.

I think it's kind of funny that I'll see guests circling my lane, counting their items for fear of having 11 items lol.
Yes. They either come and are like OMG I'm so sorry I have 11, can I still check out here? Or dump a cart full of stuff.

Yes. They either come and are like OMG I'm so sorry I have 11, can I still check out here? Or dump a cart full of stuff.
And then while you're checking them out just casually mention that it's 10 items or less and then they put on the faux act of "OMG I'M SOOOO SORRY!"

Yeah, BS you're sorry...

ha yeah I can't even lean into a lane for a big bag without someone dumping their stuff on the belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back