Archived How busy is Q4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to inject some optimism into this thread: it's crazy and a challenge, but kind of fun and exciting. My store is on point with Q4 cashier scheduling; I was in hardlines last year and barely touched a register. Forget Thanksgiving and Black Friday, they had every register with a dedicated cashier on it the whole time. Dedicated cashiers in electronics, too, so the electronics TMs could focus 100% on guest service. The best part was having double the amount of closing TMs. The more the merrier!

My store made the whole electronic team work on black Friday and 2 at the registers only ringing up plus pushing service plans/red cards

I heard this year, toys will not be flexed out from the truck or backroom. This scares me for the backroom (space wise). I think they want to research everyday and fill. I don't know how its gonna work, but if it is superbusy and you are out of stock, expect to be running back and forth for guest.

I heard this year, toys will not be flexed out from the truck or backroom. This scares me for the backroom (space wise). I think they want to research everyday and fill. I don't know how its gonna work, but if it is superbusy and you are out of stock, expect to be running back and forth for guest.
Our store would just skip the research... and zone...

My store is AAA. The GSTLs/GSAs have to be mentally prepared for the absolute worst. FF gets like 600 orders, and you have guest coming in even though they never got the "ready for pickup" email. Now they want to fight.

Register shuts down with a line of 30 people.

If you're a GSTL, GS TM, FF TM, in Toys, AP, or BR, 4Q is a nightmare for you. However, the days go by fast because it's constantly busy.

New hires get scared about Black Friday all the time. Truthfully, BF is easy it's when Xmas is approaching that it gets to WW3 levels.

My store is AAA. The GSTLs/GSAs have to be mentally prepared for the absolute worst. FF gets like 600 orders, and you have guest coming in even though they never got the "ready for pickup" email. Now they want to fight.

Register shuts down with a line of 30 people.

If you're a GSTL, GS TM, FF TM, in Toys, AP, or BR, 4Q is a nightmare for you. However, the days go by fast because it's constantly busy.

New hires get scared about Black Friday all the time. Truthfully, BF is easy it's when Xmas is approaching that it gets to WW3 levels.

Black Friday I feel like we are overstaffed. It was chaos but it felt like we had a team member on every aisle at least.

Black Friday I feel like we are overstaffed. It was chaos but it felt like we had a team member on every aisle at least.

Exactly. It's an initial rush but then it gets slow and it feels overstaffed to all hell. I don't be complaining though. Get that money team.

Thanksgiving last year was unexpectedly slow (probably due to public backlash about being open). When I got there at 7:30 pm, they asked me if I wanted to go home 10 minutes later. Nope. I left my family dinner to work for you and I'm not leaving....you will pay me my time and a half.

Last edited:
I asked for this thanksgiving/black friday off, but if I don't get it off, perhaps I won't mind. I wouldn't mind working amongst my comrades on Black Friday. It'd be insane to do a carts shift that night. Last year my cart attendants went out and got the whole black friday mob crowd riled up 5 minutes before doors opened, it was kind of awesome. Lmao they were basically pep talking the crowd and chatting with them and getting to know them. On the ten second count down til open, no one was quiet. It was very loud according to the video.

I don't believe businesses should be opened on these two major holidays for a few days to allow workers to get some time off, but then there's the cases of people who really don't give a shit about family or life or friends and would rather work. It's a tough call.

Now they want to fight.

chuckpunch1.gif

Come at me, bro.

I'm right there with MilitantAgnostic, I barely remember a thing from last year. I do remember that we had several carts of unsorted reshop we had hiding in one of the family fitting rooms because there was never time to get it done. I also remember that several areas in softlines were cleared out to hold Electronics overflow items. The area with TVs was actually quite calm on Thursday night/Black Friday, there were TMs there keeping guests organized and loading the TVs into their carts for them.

Everything else until January is a complete blank.

Ok so instead of posting a brand new thread I've just decided to add on to @HLN13's original thread. Just curious how was everyone's Q4 went. Was it a complete disaster? Did it go better than you expected? Have you seen worse q4? Feedback from everyone please? @HLN13, how did your q4 go for you?

Pretty smooth here. I've seen worse for sure. We did a pretty good job hiring imo. Some keepers. I felt that we had better Instocks than a couple years past. There are always those things that no one has, of course, but all in all, not bad.

Reactions: Him
Ok so instead of posting a brand new thread I've just decided to add on to @HLN13's original thread. Just curious how was everyone's Q4 went. Was it a complete disaster? Did it go better than you expected? Have you seen worse q4? Feedback from everyone please? @HLN13, how did your q4 go for you?
It actually was super good I feel like, we always had enough people and it actually felt less busy to me because of how many TMs we had (not having to backup the lanes etc) and I also made some good friends in the seasonals! Overall it wasn’t great

It was bad, but still nowhere even close to the worst Q4 we ever had. The thing that annoys me most this year is how we seem to have been hit harder with freight upfront, and how long it's taking to recover. The backroom is still a clusterfuck, we don't have room for all of the plastics they keep sending us, and we're about to start getting hit with transition freight for toys and other areas next week.

Not terrible. Guest Service is still pretty busy and we haven’t been able to catch up quite yet with all the defects and reshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back