Archived How close are you with your TLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullselle

Softy
I know a fellow TM who is very buddy buddy with one of the ETLs. The thing is that I think this makes it more likely that they'll guilt you into taking extra shifts, as they've done with this TM already.
It probably depends on the store, but I think in general it's a good idea to keep your distance, so I don't really joke around with any of them. I keep it at a smile and hello. I think the relationship is more genuine this way. What about you?

My relationships with the TLs in my store are as follows:

Electronics TL: I have his number and we text. We're kinda friends.
Hardlines TL that is NOT SrTL: We're cool.
Hardlines TL that is SrTL: We're cool, he owns my department but leaves me alone
Softlines TL: Constantly angry woman who I think is a man-hater.
Consumables TL: I CANNOT PRAISE HER ENOUGH
Flow TLs: Both of them let their team get away with too much shit and suck at guest service
Backroom TL: Holy shit the backroom is amazing you're awesome I like you
GSTL who is a SrTL: STOP IT YOU ARE GSTL GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE BACKROOM
GSTL who is NOT a SrTL: bleh whatever don't care you're new
Starbucks TL: You're cool
Food Ave TL: You're cool
Presentation TL: you are the best person ever please don't leave
The pricing TL that we technically shouldn't have but still do have because you would probably kill the STL if he demoted you: You are awesome don't change
Pharmacy TL: YOU SUCK. GET FIRED OH MY GOD.

ANYWAYS yeah it does depend on the store as to what level of friendship you can have with your TLs. Like, I've gotten to the point with the electronics TLs where I can say "calm the fuck down" and I won't get yelled at.

I generally have a good relationship with all the management. Once they figure out how much you know, they come to rely on your knowledge and accountability. When my STL asks me to do.something, he knows it'll get done.

Specifically, another store's SrTl is my best friend. We used to work at the same store where he was my Tl. My old Pog Tl is still a good friend. The store I'm at now, I'm in with the flow tl and backroom cause I'll step in and make bales, backstock, etc. One of the perks of being signing is that you see the whole picture - receiving to front end.

Honestly, the worst bosses I've had are Etl's with crazy, unreasonable expectations. For example, one Etl wanted all the Christmas signing up in 1.5 hours. When it was like 25 hours. Whatever dude. Where are you now? Oh that's right, you walked out one day and quit.

Not sure how distancing yourself from people would ever lead to a more genuine relationship. That leads to non-relationships. Totally not the same thing.

As for my TL's, GSTL has my phone #, but only calls for anything work related. Other TL's I get along with with fine, at work, but don't have relationships outside of work in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
Once my Team Leader got fired this past year I've had ZERO relationship with any other Team Leader. They might think I have relationships with them, but no, I don't.

A few of the TLs are very close friends of mine. Some of them worked for me as TMs when I was a TL so we have a mutual respect. I used to hang out with a group of ETLs and TLs outside of work and it was never a problem to keep that separate from our work relationship.

Not sure how distancing yourself from people would ever lead to a more genuine relationship. That leads to non-relationships. Totally not the same thing.

I'm not distancing myself per se, more like maintaining the distance that's already there. In my store, the STLs and most of the ETLs tend to be pretty fake, and I think that a lot of the friendliness is just because it's a part of their job description. Some TMs (mostly the new ones) really try and establish a friendship with their TLs. I've already heard a few stories of the TLs saying and doing horrible things to the TMs behind their back when they are so sweet to their faces. I just figure why pretend we're friends if you really just view me as a peon? But, like I said, it must depend on the store.

My turn! Be warned, I'm new so I don't know everyone yet:
Electronics TL: I saw you once in the parking lot when I was off the clock and you did not recognize me. That's pretty much the extent of our relationship.
Hardlines TL: Not sure who you are, sorry!
Hardlines TL that is SrTL: Ha wow you really don't like me. Don't know what I did but you just flat out ignore me when I say hi to you. Oh well.
STL1: You talk to me like I'm your child, which I should find patronizing but I find it endearing for some reason.
STL2: I think you're great at your job but you can be pretty rude sometimes. I'm cautious around you.
Softlines TL: Very chill but you want everything fingerspaced and I don't zone fast enough for that yet, give me a break!
Consumables ETL: Very polite guy, I like him.
Flow ETL: Friendly when she's not in a horrible mood, then she gets very condescending.
Backroom TL: I don't think I know you but backroom does a wonderful job!
GSTL 1: You're very helpful and I like you.
GSTL 2: I like you too, you can stay.
Starbucks TL: You're nice but you could look maybe a little less like you hate your job.
AP ETL: You're sweet too and always make me feel safe
Logistics ETL: Wow hi very friendly also loud maybe tone it down a bit!

As you can see, I do like a lot of the TLs, we're just not close.

The only ones I know are the guest service TL's. One seems to like me, even if she terrifies me (she has a very serious face and i'm perpetually terrified she's getting ready to fire me), one's very relaxed and chill but a bit of a slacker, seems to trust me, one seems to not like me or trust me at all, and the last one is literally the best boss I've ever had. She's my favorite to work with.

The others I couldn't tell from Adam.

I know a fellow TM who is very buddy buddy with one of the ETLs. The thing is that I think this makes it more likely that they'll guilt you into taking extra shifts, as they've done with this TM already.
It probably depends on the store, but I think in general it's a good idea to keep your distance, so I don't really joke around with any of them. I keep it at a smile and hello. I think the relationship is more genuine this way. What about you?

I've got a very strong working relationship with all of the team leads except two. I don't hang out with anyone from work outside of work.

I am friendly with everyone. Currently we have a great management team. I am my true self with my peers and bosses. I don't kiss ass and I speak my peace. My ex Etl, now that we don't work together, keep in touch and go to dinner or lunch. Sorry we don't work together anymore but now we can expand our friendship. I treat people, whomever they are, the way I want to be treated. Always served me well.

I have gotten along just fine with most TLs and ETLs at both stores I've worked at, although I'd say things are a bit less formal in my current store. I'm also a GSA, which in itself alters the dynamic somewhat. The TLs and ETLs pretty much treat me as a team lead, and I'll bet 50% of the cashiers don't even know the difference. I usually take my lunch breaks with one or more TLs or ETLs.

We have one Sr TL Hardlines, and she and I text/Snapchat all the time. We both close on Wednesdays and about once a month will usually go out for drinks afterwards.

I have similar relationships with one of my GSTLs and my ETL-GE. Don't really hang out with them outside of work, but we all have each other's numbers for when work issues and last-minute schedule changes arise. I can't remember the last time I submitted a Time Off request via myTime Self-Service. If I'm at work I just email my ETL, and if I'm away I shoot her a text.

My turn! Be warned, I'm new so I don't know everyone yet:
Electronics TL: I saw you once in the parking lot when I was off the clock and you did not recognize me. That's pretty much the extent of our relationship.
Hardlines TL: Not sure who you are, sorry!
Hardlines TL that is SrTL: Ha wow you really don't like me. Don't know what I did but you just flat out ignore me when I say hi to you. Oh well.
STL1: You talk to me like I'm your child, which I should find patronizing but I find it endearing for some reason.
STL2: I think you're great at your job but you can be pretty rude sometimes. I'm cautious around you.
Softlines TL: Very chill but you want everything fingerspaced and I don't zone fast enough for that yet, give me a break!
Consumables ETL: Very polite guy, I like him.
Flow ETL: Friendly when she's not in a horrible mood, then she gets very condescending.
Backroom TL: I don't think I know you but backroom does a wonderful job!
GSTL 1: You're very helpful and I like you.
GSTL 2: I like you too, you can stay.
Starbucks TL: You're nice but you could look maybe a little less like you hate your job.
AP ETL: You're sweet too and always make me feel safe
Logistics ETL: Wow hi very friendly also loud maybe tone it down a bit!

As you can see, I do like a lot of the TLs, we're just not close.

Two STLs?

For my ETLs:

STL: We're cool. Sort of. You dont annoy me as much as you did when you started.
ETL-HR: You're fake and only want to talk to the TLs also you suck
ETL-AP: I will literally do almost everything you say since you're the one who got me as cosmetics brand.
ETL-GE: You're amazing
ETL-SF: you're cool but kinda derpy
ETL-4am: meh

Other TL's I get along with with fine, at work, but don't have relationships outside of work in any way shape or form.
This. Most of the people at my store are friends outside of work, I just don't get it. It makes things complicated, and from what I can see it just leads to screwing off all day at work. I come to work to work, not to plan what time 50% of the store is meeting up at the bar that night.

I don't have any bad relationships with my TLs, it's pretty much all work. They know I do my job, and if they need something done quickly they ask.

My flow TL and ETL Log have my cell number, but only text me if a truck gets canceled.

We're a close-knit group in FA & SB. Everyone has everyone's numbers & they'll call the TLs if they're running late or there's an emergency, need to swap shifts, etc.
We're like family in that there are spats occasionally but no one has ever abused contact info.

I still haven't met all the leadership in my store, but the ones I have go as here (Disclaimer, I work in a high volume store with a lot of leadership):
STL: I haven't talked to you much but you are an awesome dude, you come in sometimes on days off to help us get stuff done and you grabbed me equipment a few times and introduce yourself to all the new hires even seasonals.
ETL-HR: Haven't met you yet.
ETL-AP: You seem cool.
ETL-GE: You are on us about the normal conversion and vibe score stuff typical of an ETL-GE, but you also give us all praise when we do things right and behind closed doors, you share our grievances about guests and share stories of idiot guests.
ETL-LOG: Haven't met you.
ETL-Food: Haven't met you.
ETL-SF 1: You're really businesslike but as long as everyone's doing their jobs you're cool, it was fun seeing you ride around in a motorized cart overnight on Wednesday zoning the bottom three shelves of aisles, we had a good laugh.
ETL-SF 2: You're really supportive and seem to genuinely care about your TMs and make us all feel like part of the same team.
ETL-SF 3: You're nice, I appreciated the individual recognition when I sold 10 replacement plans my third time covering Electronics' lunch break.
The other LOD who I haven't found out your position: You seem alright.
CTL: You're alright and friendly.
Pricing/Plano TL: You're cool and can relate to the problems the SFTM's have.
Softlines TL: You're nice and a pleasure to work with.
Electronics TL: You're cool, thanks for showing me the secret stash of box cutter blades for Hardines since backroom raids the supply closet as soon as we get a shipment in.

I don't care for most of my leads. Most don't do their job well or as well as their TMs and take advantage of delegating tasks to the fullest.

Not really a fan of any of my peer TLs or any of the ETLs in my store and I swear my STL is the biggest braindead bimbo to ever walk the earth. Management in my store enjoys "flexing their muscles" a bit too much and it's ruining my team and my store's morale.

The SFT, though- he's pretty cool.

At my store, the SFT and AP are ninjas-if you call for them, they will appear, do whatever needs doing, and then disappear as fast as they appeared, the only time you can see AP is when they are watching the doors or Electronics.

It boils down to...

Just do your job.

Forgot about the SFT. He does his job. Hurray! But when he isn't busy (a lot of the time!) he walks around chit chatting to people or is using his phone on the sales floor or in the backroom. And NO ONE says anything about it.

If I get done early, I can't do that. And don't give me ... But his hours come from the district ... bullshit. That's crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back