Archived How closely are adjacencies actually checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious.

My particular store's floor pad doesn't match any of the ones in the adjacency booklets. We do what works for our layout. Generally, we make sure the mannequins, strike points, hurdles, etc. are correct. This time around we're missing a lot of product. Our VML and I had to work with what we had. I think that's the general idea.

In my store they use to be the be all and end all. Now the vmtl does what she wants. Fine by me. As a flow tm I don't push z racks anymore. We have visual merchandisers.

As a flow tm I don't push z racks anymore. We have visual merchandisers.

Our flow tms would be over the moon if they didn't have to push the Zs anymore. We only have a visual merchandising TL and she doesn't push racks.

We really don't adhere to the adjacency unless it works for the store layout, what sells, or what the VML has in mind. Thank god, considering how often the adjacency suggests some of the ugliest outfits for the mannequins.

As far as being checked goes, we just had a big executive visit a few weeks ago and the regional director of my VML was pretty happy with how everything looked.

You should follow the "essence" of what it calls for without needing to follow it exactly. They are big on basically not switching your fixtures out anymore, and remaining low so you can have open sight lines throughout. Basically, you can be abstract with your interpretation of the adjacency but don't go completely off from it.

Oh man, our DTL used to come in to do surprise visits with the RTW adjacency in his hand and he would check every single bit of it. It was never correct and him doing this never made a difference, so I don't even know why he ever bothered. I would always chuckle to myself when I saw him coming because I just knew that the adjacencies were never set at all, let alone correctly, once I stopped doing them.

Target has become more of a visual merchandising experience. As such, stores should be encouraged to make it work for them. That said, I know for a fact that every DTL has their own ideas regarding the VA. In our district the DTL tells her stores that as long as it is brand and it's moving product she doesn't care if they go by the book or throw it out. But then one district over we have a DTL who tells her stores they MUST go by the VA all the time. Honestly I think it's stupid to invest so much in visual merchandising and then tell stores they have to follow the book. However, that said, it's important to know where your DTL stands on such things. If you don't know ask your ETL or STL. Regardless of what you think or feel in the end the DTL calls the shots.

Usually our softlines TL is the most picky about following the book, but if you can have a reason for why you didn't follow the book, she's okay with it. Though we typically make sure that the strike point is as accurate as the book wants it. The rest we usually try to make outfits. Our ETL of softlines doesn't care if its set by the book, and also we usually don't get what they want anyways..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back