Archived How come Target doesn't sell Tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! Well I don't smoke, but when I worked at a gas station...Well I've seen the numbers in sales.

Google is a wonderful thing.
"Some retailers stopped selling cigarettes years ago: Target Corp decided to drop them in 1996,"

That's really sweet you guys care so much about the consumers. I'm just saying...the money most retailers make in tobacco is equal to millions......I mean like 80 % of my transactions were cigs.

But I do also know what a pain in the ass, quality/quantity control and monthly undercover violation visits from the police are.....I'm just saying....I thought all Target cared about was income. LOL.

not sure why we should at least sell these ....... lol

Target_swiss_version_super_ks_20_h_nigeria_switzerland.jpg

Shit well maybe the tobacco sales is the reason they were able to give us a .50 cent raise after 30 days of employment, then 60 and then 90. I never did see what my pay raise was after a year because I got promoted within 6 months to shift lead. So who knows what the raise is for a year.

That's really sweet you guys care so much about the consumers. I'm just saying...the money most retailers make in tobacco is equal to millions......I mean like 80 % of my transactions were cigs.

Typically, smokes are a loss leader actually. They're just to get people in the door to buy other stuff. This isn't a big deal for spot, like it is for convenience stores, because spot sells enough merchandise to get people in the door anyway. I still think it's dumb though. They can't even pretend to take the moral high ground when they market booze out of the butt hole. Both of our front end main refrigerators are loaded with oculto, and one side of our store features booze at the front doors. I've always been very lassiez-faire about vices. They're all a personal choice. They're all bad for you. If you choose to do anything, including hard drugs, it's on you. Just don't accost other people to pay for your habit and I don't care. I used to smoke. I switched to E-Cigs (which I plan to quit soon) because I didn't want that cancer and COPD and emphysema. I think second hand smoke is far over-hyped and don't mind being around smoke though. If I were CEO, I'd sell smokes and guns, but I'm not, and either way, it doesn't matter, because if spot thought they were losing an appreciable amount of money by not selling tobacco, they would have started selling it again.

Used to be Target did not sell guns or smokes and only wine not beer, it was part of the image. This was back when Target did not sponsor a Nascar for the same reason. This is the Target people remember, well staffed, no lines, super clean, cheap hip clothing, unique brands like Micheal Graves, shelves full, great service and perfect zones every night. That is the image Target has resting on for years.

Same reason we don't sell the lotto or postage stamps. There's an image they want to maintain. Having lotto, smokes, stamps makes you look like a cheap liquor store.

A grocery store I worked at sold cigarettes for $1-2 higher than nearby gas stations. People would ask for a pack, complain about the price...but still buy it. Target could make tons of money on them but it would still be pretty bad for their image in this day, when some stores are making a big deal out of dropping them.

Same reason we don't sell the lotto or postage stamps. There's an image they want to maintain. Having lotto, smokes, stamps makes you look like a cheap liquor store.
What's wrong with stamps? Sell them only in books of 20 and the only people you have buying them will be little old ladies.

I think it's more logistics than anything else. There's nowhere to put the cigarettes - it's not like we have a locked cage anywhere around the check stands and we certainly don't want to hold up the line while the GSTL runs for a pack of Marlboros. In a convenience store and gas station, all the cigs are behind the counter. In the grocery stores (at least in my state) the tobacco items are in a cage by the service desks.

And it's easier to steal cigarettes than liquor or beer cause those little packages are a bitch to spider wrap.

And it's easier to steal cigarettes than liquor or beer cause those little packages are a bitch to spider wrap.

Not to mention that a single locked case of cigs with all the varieties and such would wipe out a store's entire supply of mini spiders.

There's nowhere to put the cigarettes
Easy...push the front end card wall to toys/electronics. And open the nearby registers to cigarette and express purchaes only. Or behind integrated Guest Service.

This supposedly came from Target's website at one time
>>>Target discontinued the sale of cigarettes in our stores in 1996. We do not currently sell any tobacco products.<<<

Last edited:
Please don't put any more crap behind IGS. It's too crowded now! With only 10 regular checklanes, we can't afford to lose one to Express/Cigarettes, but if you want to move the card wall, I'd be fine with that. It's a bitch to zone every day.

I kinda agree with this. If they really cared about guests health, they would sell electronic cigarettes. They've helped people I know quit smoking.
Unfortunately e-cigs havent been researched enough. Frim what ive read they seem to be jjst as bad health wise. There is reason why people who use e-cigs and vaporizers have to put smoker under their insurance and when visiting doctors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back