Archived how do I be cross trained

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied for other positions this was the only bullshit that was open.

Luna831, if your attitude on this board is like your attitude at work, then I'm afraid you may find alternative opportunities slow in coming. You appear to be hyper-sensitive to things that go wrong (a single phone call about a receipt), and looking for advancement due to dissatisfaction with your current work, rather than due to opportunities and possibilities elsewhere.

Your sense of scale seems out in both directions. You began by asking how to get cross trained outside of your 90 days. You don't need to wait that long. Yesterday I was on presentation with a new hire who's been on checklanes for a week. She was being given the opportunity for a day to do another task so she has a better understanding of the salesfloor and how the store works. At 9am we had to begin by showing her how to read I17 2-4-1 (a location in Softlines). By 3pm, she was setting the gift cards by herself. If you're ever asked 'have you done this?', or 'can we get you to do that?' the correct answer is always 'I've not done it before, but I'd love to try'.

On the flipside, you then changed your question asking how to get promoted. That's largely down to attitude and competence. Remember Target's mission & slogans - "be the best company ever", "fast, fun and friendly" "expect more, pay less" - there's a theme connecting that. Be relentlessly upbeat, sunny, optimistic. Smile. Energy goes a long way. These do not come across in your postings - well, there's a nervous energy to concerns you'd be fired over a single complaint, but that's a different kind. You want to eradicate that, or at least hide it. If your GSA-TL likes you, finds you bubbly and warm, you'll very likely be offered (or have a reasonable chance to ask for) GSA training. You're not currently displaying (here - obviously, no idea about work) the sorts of traits they'd like. Work on those, consistently display them, and then you might have the opportunity to move up.

I'm sure most folks don't come across at work at work the way they do here.
The Break Room is where we can let our hair down and take off the smile we plaster on for work.
We are all a bit snarky here and that's fine.

Still, there is a natural kind of confidence and willingness to go the extra step that is expected if you want to be cross trained and promoted.
If you don't shine you can't expect to be seen.

Hmm, I think I snark at work just as much as work as here :/

Especially with one of the older GSA's. Though with her it's very much all in fun, and she's my favorite GSA to work with, so it's not a case of giving her a hard time because I dislike her or she's incompetent, quite the opposite.

When I first started cashiering she used to tease me and ask me if I thought my goal was to sell merchandise or collect it because my reshop/strays bin was always full, so then I started teasing and asking her if she was proud of how much I'd managed to collect when she'd come around. Now I just tease her on a regular basis at work and we bicker much like a married couple despite being 30+ years apart in age :p

Well I want to do other stuff then stand at a computer screen all day.

Some stores might not do them...I know mine just starting doing them again as of a couple of months ago for the first time in two years. Up until they handed me one for a trainee and said, "here, do this," I had never even seen one. And I looked like an idiot in front of my trainee trying to figure out what in the hell I was supposed to be doing with it.

We're using them now. We didn't when I was hired. I chose to read the booklet one day when we were slow, as did one of the GSA's. This led to us both knowing many things about guest service that the other GSA's, guest service trained cashiers, and the GSTL were unaware of.
Agreed. I have also found I learned a lot from asking questions of people who know GS like the back of their own hand. both have been promoted to GSA as of recent so I get more time at GS now. I like it so much better than cashier but that is me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back