Archived How do I fix an offline register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEye

Executive Team Leader
Hey everyone!

We have one or our electronics registers showing it's offline and it's been that way for 4 days. I've checked it's network connections and it seems fine, so does anyone know a trick that knocks a register back online?

Turn off & turn it back on. Also, check with your GSA or gstl for a workorder on it, too.

Yeah I'm a certified computer tech so I've tried everything I could do on my end (including rebooting it). I am a GSA so the work order is already in, however, it takes our contractors 2+ weeks to service anything in the store.

If everything is plugged in and you have tried rebooting it, I would assume its an issue with the hardware (the cord or actual register). If the register is offline they cannot perform a software rebuild I do not think, so the tech will probably have to come out and switch out some parts.

Most other issues I can call a software rebuild on the register, but if its offline it prevents that.

This is probably a silly question, but did you unplug all the electric cords and plug them back in? I have to do this on one of our registers every morning. I talked to the Help (sarcasm font needed) Center several times and I was told that as long as I can get it back online by unplugging it, that is all that needs to be done.

This is probably a silly question, but did you unplug all the electric cords and plug them back in? I have to do this on one of our registers every morning. I talked to the Help (sarcasm font needed) Center several times and I was told that as long as I can get it back online by unplugging it, that is all that needs to be done.

Is the network light blinking on the back of the terminal where the network cable plugs in? I've troubleshot enough registers in the last couple of years, I'm getting pretty good at fixing them without having to call the HELPLESS DESK

Courier New FONT Size 4 or larger is generally recognized as sarcasm. Not intended here, used an as example.

Usually a restart will do it. A register rebuild usually will not fix this because it is a hardware. Look at the back of the register where the network cable is plugged in. There should be a green light and a blinking orange light. If the light isn't blinking its probably the network cable or the network port has gone bad. We've had the network cable in the server room go bad a few times and a tech had to come out and replace it.

Hey everyone!

We have one or our electronics registers showing it's offline and it's been that way for 4 days. I've checked it's network connections and it seems fine, so does anyone know a trick that knocks a register back online?

Hard reboot, hold in the power button til register powers all the way down. And then power back up.

The network cable plugged in back should run to a network switch below the register, make sure that its plugged in down there as well, and chk to see if the uplink back to the core switch is lit up. Otherwise, put a call into the Client Support Center and have them troubleshoot with you -- they can remote into the Store Network to see if they can see the offline register. Oftentimes I would have them push a PXE Boot and reload the register software, fixed a lot of weird register issues sometimes.

Also be careful about moving cables to different ports -- every port is specified to go to a certain place (certain port configurations, etc.) and you could mess it up more. The same is held true for USB ports on the back of the register.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back