Archived How do I quit just after 3 weeks of working? Should I put in a 2 week notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a full-time college student who was looking for a part-time job. I applied for "15-25hrs part-time seasonal sales floor". I got a quick call the next day and they wanted to bring me in for an interview. They told me unfortunately the only position they had was seasonal Flexible Fulfillment. I really wanted a job just to help pay for school. I was telling the interviewee I could work 20hours a week...but she raised her eyebrows and said "that's it?" I really wanted a job, so I told her I could do up to 40, but would prefer closer to 20 because I'm doing full-time school.

So far, here are the hours I've worked per week: 32, 34, and 39. I can't change my availability for 90 days, and this workload is just way too much for me. I have found myself stressing over work and even prioritizing it over school. School is my primary focus right now, but I honestly just haven't had time for it. On my days off, I'm at school from 10am-8pm.
On top of this, my TL is extremely intimidating and pushy. She threaten to fire me at the end of my 1st week for being too slow for having received 3 days of training(veteran TMs had less than a day). I also have important school projects coming up. I'm scheduled for 34hrs next week, but I found a coworker who was able to cover one of my days. I texted my TL about it, and when I saw her the next day, I went to confirm it with her in person. However, she implied I lied about texting her..until I showed the texts. While she approved, she was hesitant and told me I need to work as much as I can to prep for the season.

I've been reading online about giving a 2 week notice. I want to do this because I don't want to screw over all of my coworkers and add to their loads. However, I do NOT want to interact or confront my TL about quitting. I have no clue how she would react, and I'm already intimated by her. I'm afraid that she also might treat me differently during the 2 weeks that I do work.

What would be the best way to go about this?

I'm a full-time college student who was looking for a part-time job. I applied for "15-25hrs part-time seasonal sales floor". I got a quick call the next day and they wanted to bring me in for an interview. They told me unfortunately the only position they had was seasonal Flexible Fulfillment. I really wanted a job just to help pay for school. I was telling the interviewee I could work 20hours a week...but she raised her eyebrows and said "that's it?" I really wanted a job, so I told her I could do up to 40, but would prefer closer to 20 because I'm doing full-time school.

So far, here are the hours I've worked per week: 32, 34, and 39. I can't change my availability for 90 days, and this workload is just way too much for me. I have found myself stressing over work and even prioritizing it over school. School is my primary focus right now, but I honestly just haven't had time for it. On my days off, I'm at school from 10am-8pm.
On top of this, my TL is extremely intimidating and pushy. She threaten to fire me at the end of my 1st week for being too slow for having received 3 days of training(veteran TMs had less than a day). I also have important school projects coming up. I'm scheduled for 34hrs next week, but I found a coworker who was able to cover one of my days. I texted my TL about it, and when I saw her the next day, I went to confirm it with her in person. However, she implied I lied about texting her..until I showed the texts. While she approved, she was hesitant and told me I need to work as much as I can to prep for the season.

I've been reading online about giving a 2 week notice. I want to do this because I don't want to screw over all of my coworkers and add to their loads. However, I do NOT want to interact or confront my TL about quitting. I have no clue how she would react, and I'm already intimated by her. I'm afraid that she also might treat me differently during the 2 weeks that I do work.

What would be the best way to go about this?
You get a form from HR for resigning. You won’t have to interact with your TL to do it.

Here’s an idea, go to your ETL/HR, explain your situation. Let them know what hours are you really available to work. Really think about it. You do still need a job right? So, think of a schedule that REALLY works for you. This time dont lie , cause the lie you told about your availability is biting you in the ass right now. I am sure they will accommodate. If not , put in your two weeks notice.
Your TL will find out. She is not going to physically hurt you. If does retaliate, go straight HR, report her. Cause at that point you don’t have anything to loose. You would be quitting anyway ...

P.s: be a decent human being, grow a pair .

Yeah...when you said you COULD do 40, that's all they heard after that. So really it's not their fault for scheduling you so many hours when you stretched the truth of your availability. Just go talk to your TL or HR or someone and see if they can lessen your hours. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Here’s an idea, go to your ETL/HR, explain your situation. Let them know what hours are you really available to work. Really think about it. You do still need a job right? So, think of a schedule that REALLY works for you. This time dont lie , cause the lie you told about your availability is biting you in the ass right now. I am sure they will accommodate. If not , put in your two weeks notice.
Your TL will find out. She is not going to physically hurt you. If does retaliate, go straight HR, report her. Cause at that point you don’t have anything to loose. You would be quitting anyway ...

P.s: be a decent human being, grow a pair .
My TL berated me just because someone is covering one of my shifts in a 6-day work week. She then implied that I was a liar saying I never texted her about a shift change. So I don't think she would be very understanding if I did ask her for less hours.
Yeah...when you said you COULD do 40, that's all they heard after that. So really it's not their fault for scheduling you so many hours when you stretched the truth of your availability. Just go talk to your TL or HR or someone and see if they can lessen your hours. It doesn't hurt to ask.
I don't really want to work at Target anymore after my little experience with the TL. It's a pretty hostile environment. I got threatened to get fired after my 1st week for not picking 2 batches in 1hour. Then she implied that I was a liar and made me show proof to prove otherwise. I've worked in retail before. I understand that shit needs to get done, but I've never worked in an environment under a lead/manager that was this hostile.

Maybe I don't have a pair, but common sense tells me that this isn't an acceptable way to treat workers.

I wasn't even think about quitting at this moment until my latest interaction with a TL.

If your store is anything like mine, HR will bend over backwards to keep you. Talk to your ETL-HR. Explain the situation and , as others have said above me, be truthful about your availability this time. I think your best bet would be to ask to switch work centers. Sounds like you and your TL got off to a bad start and it's not going to get better soon. Nothing frustrates leadership more than people they onboard with certain hours/positions in mind, only to have them change it within a few weeks.

If you still NEED a job, maybe try talking to HR and seeing if you can switch positions. A side effect of switching into a different workcenter with more team members means there's less hours to go around. You wouldn't get 40 hours a week cashiering at my store.

I really wanted a job just to help pay for school. I was telling the interviewee I could work 20hours a week...but she raised her eyebrows and said "that's it?" I really wanted a job, so I told her I could do up to 40, but would prefer closer to 20 because I'm doing full-time school.

:rolleyes:

You shouldn't have lied in order to get the job. Now, you are stuck in a schedule that you can't handle because of what you said. Wouldn't it have been better to find a job that was fine with you working 20 hours to begin with?

but she would find out about it right?

Would she be able to see if I did it through workday?

Your TL will find out about it. All resignation notices are now done through Workday. After you submit the electronic resignation form, a notification will be sent to your direct leader's Workday inbox because your ETL is the one who is supposed to terminate you.

Is a 2 week notice necessary?

Officially, no. Target doesn't require a two-week's notice for you to be marked as rehireable. However, most stores won't mark you as rehireable if you don't give a two week's notice. It is pretty standard courtesy to give a two week's notice.

By the way you are under no obligation to text your TL about a shift change. Just talk to HR man . Stand up for yourself.

Your tl does not make the schedule. Go hr and tell them exactly how many hrs you can work. If they can't help you out then ask for resignation form. Work your 2 weeks. It's the adult thing to do.

Thank you all for your help. I screwed myself up with the availability, and there's no one else to blame for that. Under different circumstances, I think things could've worked out much differently. I hope you guys continue to enjoy working at Target!

Suck it up buttercup. I worked full time raised 2 kids and went to school full time and got my bachelor's degree.
Oh, cool! My dad did that. And I can tell you from personal experience, you can only do 2/3 decently... ;) (and so is the reality of my friends and coworkers trying to do the same)

Will Target or your TL care if you flunk out of school because you burned yourself out at Target?? Nope. Your TL will probably just get pushier. You need to stand up for yourself and tell your TL you can do 20 hours max. Do it respectfully. She steps over the line, go to HR about it. Be sure to write down details of what happened.

Your education and progress of your own life is what's at stake. Don't let some part time dead end job get in your way.

Give two weeks and work the two weeks. I've had TM that wanted max of 20 hours and were hard workers so everyone wanted them. I wrote them recommendations and helped get them jobs not at Target when "the needs of the business" caused their hours to creep up. I also flat out told some I wouldn't when they came back after they NCNS'ed their last shifts.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, to get over 20 hours a week is really saying something in most stores. I have been in retail for almost a decade and can tell you from personal experience, it's best to be honest upfront. I needed a job when I was in college and sometimes felt as if I was burning the candle at both ends so to speak, but managed to keep it together at the expense of my social life, but oh well. College is in the past and yet, I still feel like I am burning the candle at both ends....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back