How do these specialty changes affect GM leaders?

With the news that specialty sales will be having home and seasonal brought into it, I’m just curious as to what exactly happens in terms of the GMTL head count.

My store is low volume and we have 3 GMTL’s and currently in the process of hiring a new GM ETL. We also have two Style leaders, one VM, and a recently hired SS ETL. Apparently our GM TL who normally oversees home and seasonal is now the hardlines lead and that’s the only change that I know for sure.

I mostly just want to know since I’m in development for leadership and I want to know how much this affects my shot at being promoted in the near future.

So far, our 2 style tm's have been assigned different specific specialty teams to lead and our home tl is now under the specialty bucket, though her team hasn't been told if they are no longer experts and now are consultants. Have heard that the tl that has seasonal will be moved to another tba area, but that formal announcements are about 2 weeks out. No idea if the vm will be getting a team or has any role change and no idea yet as to how all of this affects how hours are allocated or how this will affect who is overseeing the truck unload since our home and seasonal leads currently are part of that rotation.

So far, our 2 style tm's have been assigned different specific specialty teams to lead and our home tl is now under the specialty bucket, though her team hasn't been told if they are no longer experts and now are consultants. Have heard that the tl that has seasonal will be moved to another tba area, but that formal announcements are about 2 weeks out. No idea if the vm will be getting a team or has any role change and no idea yet as to how all of this affects how hours are allocated or how this will affect who is overseeing the truck unload since our home and seasonal leads currently are part of that rotation.
So is GM losing a TL? I’m hoping for a GMTL role and I just don’t want these changes to ruin things for me.

With the news that specialty sales will be having home and seasonal brought into it, I’m just curious as to what exactly happens in terms of the GMTL head count.

My store is low volume and we have 3 GMTL’s and currently in the process of hiring a new GM ETL. We also have two Style leaders, one VM, and a recently hired SS ETL. Apparently our GM TL who normally oversees home and seasonal is now the hardlines lead and that’s the only change that I know for sure.

I mostly just want to know since I’m in development for leadership and I want to know how much this affects my shot at being promoted in the near future.
Yes.

GM isnt losing a TL atleast in my store. Overall TL headcount isnt changing. The only way this affects you promoting is if someone quits because of the changes.

So is GM losing a TL? I’m hoping for a GMTL role and I just don’t want these changes to ruin things for me.
Unknown, but we have several tms that are on the bench, so that may very well be part of the reason for the 2 week wait as they put people into the best spots for them.

Yes the gmtl is now a sstl. They just move over to a new boss.
I’m just trying to figure out what my store is doing. Like I said, our home/seasonal TL looks to be the hardlines TL now and I’m confused as to how this is going to affect me. We have three GMTL roles, but only two filled and I’m just trying to figure out how this affects head count.

Seems like it's an ASANTS thing. We appear to have gained an SSTL (which brings us to two) with no changes to the GMTL head count or roles, at least not yet. We have a GM ETL but no SS ETL.

low volume with 2 ETL and 5 TL and a VM.
i doubt you will be GAINING another TL spot.
More than likely one current GM TL will become a third SS TL - changing bosses from the GM ETL to the SS ETL.

a more even split :
GM ETL having 3 TL - inbound, presentation, fulfillment
SS ETL having 3 TL - beauty, electronics, home

That way the ETL‘s can validate that the TL‘s for each dept. make sure the TM‘s do all the work.

Last edited:
I’m just trying to figure out what my store is doing. Like I said, our home/seasonal TL looks to be the hardlines TL now and I’m confused as to how this is going to affect me. We have three GMTL roles, but only two filled and I’m just trying to figure out how this affects head count.
Then ask your SD. We don’t work at your store. This will show your interest in what the company is doing if you approach them in a positive way.

One thing I’ve learned in my 11 years with Target is all stores are not the same. Ask 10 people from 10 different stores and likely get different answers. Your best bet is to ask your ETL or SD.

Without counting f&b and service engagement. 3 etls gm and 2 speciality etl. With a count of 11 tl between the two work centers. My sd came up with speciality only owning home as in home innovation and h&h .
That would be amazing. For us it's 1 gm etl, 3 gm tl, 1 Specialty etl and 2 tl. FB etl and 4 TLs as well as one SE etl and 2 tl. I understand the benefits of changing structure in a smaller PFresh with market and market tls on GM etl plate, but I would have just added a FB etl to the headcount to shift that workload off. The TL that is shifting to us (in my store) does not own anywhere near as many departments as what we are getting. I would be happy to just be taking home innovation!

That would be amazing. For us it's 1 gm etl, 3 gm tl, 1 Specialty etl and 2 tl. FB etl and 4 TLs as well as one SE etl and 2 tl. I understand the benefits of changing structure in a smaller PFresh with market and market tls on GM etl plate, but I would have just added a FB etl to the headcount to shift that workload off. The TL that is shifting to us (in my store) does not own anywhere near as many departments as what we are getting. I would be happy to just be taking home innovation!
F&b has 1 etl and 3 Tl and service and engagement 1 etl 4 Tl

Without counting f&b and service engagement. 3 etls gm and 2 speciality etl. With a count of 11 tl between the two work centers. My sd came up with speciality only owning home as in home innovation and h&h .
11 TL’s between two work centers? That seems excessive, even for a high volume store. My store is low volume and there’s no way I see them doing that many TL’s.

Back