How does medical LOA work regarding average hours?

I took a medical LOA for 2 weeks when I was a very new employee (less than one month). I was told it would "protect" my average hours. But once I got back from leave, my average showed zero on like 3 consecutive paystubs. When I called TPB/HROC I was told that my average was low because I didn't work any hours while on leave. (This doesnt make sense to me. What's the point of the leave then if they count the zeros from while you're gone?) So I've called a number of times regarding my average hours because they're always off (ie. on my latest payslip, total YTD hours will say 200, and average weekly hours will say 10, but I've been there for 10 weeks so average should be 20) and everytime I call they refer to the zero hours worked during the LOA as the cause of the low average.

I took a medical LOA for 2 weeks when I was a very new employee (less than one month). I was told it would "protect" my average hours. But once I got back from leave, my average showed zero on like 3 consecutive paystubs. When I called TPB/HROC I was told that my average was low because I didn't work any hours while on leave. (This doesnt make sense to me. What's the point of the leave then if they count the zeros from while you're gone?) So I've called a number of times regarding my average hours because they're always off (ie. on my latest payslip, total YTD hours will say 200, and average weekly hours will say 10, but I've been there for 10 weeks so average should be 20) and everytime I call they refer to the zero hours worked during the LOA as the cause of the low average.
does that 10 weeks include the Loa? If not it would be 12 weeks not 10. Was the Loa a paid one if not I think it makes you average hours go down because you didn’t work. I would speak to someone at pay and benefits for clarification. Don’t go by what someone at the store tells you, pay and benefits has more accurate information.

Start Date was 10 weeks ago, LOA was unpaid due to being so new. I also stated in the post that I had spoken with P&B multiple times, not store HR. To clarify the questions;

1. How does an LOA protect your average hours if when you return from LOA the zero-hour weeks are calculated into the average...? Average is calculated on ACTUAL hours worked, thus PTO would not count toward average hours anyway. I might as well have not taken an LOA at all and just took 2 weeks unscheduled.

2. The math isn't adding up. If I worked a total of 200 hr over 10 weeks the average should be 20 weekly average hours (which is accurate, I worked anywhere from 19 to 32 hours , and even a couple 50+ except during the LOA.) But payslip says average is just over 10.

Start Date was 10 weeks ago, LOA was unpaid due to being so new. I also stated in the post that I had spoken with P&B multiple times, not store HR. To clarify the questions;

1. How does an LOA protect your average hours if when you return from LOA the zero-hour weeks are calculated into the average...? Average is calculated on ACTUAL hours worked, thus PTO would not count toward average hours anyway. I might as well have not taken an LOA at all and just took 2 weeks unscheduled.

2. The math isn't adding up. If I worked a total of 200 hr over 10 weeks the average should be 20 weekly average hours (which is accurate, I worked anywhere from 19 to 32 hours , and even a couple 50+ except during the LOA.) But payslip says average is just over 10.
Possibly is that just for 2024 and not including any hours worked 2023?

Back when I was a cashier hours would get cut drastically in January. I used to use paid vacation time it would keep my average hours up so I didn’t lose health insurance.

Average hours are based off a rolling calendar year. So if you haven't worked a full 52 weeks, it's going to look lower than what you're actually averaging.

A LOA that is not FMLA counts against your average hours. Each of those weeks “counts” as a week you worked zero hours.

A non-FMLA leave allows you to keep your job but otherwise provides no protections. The fact that you were not made to quit was the point of the leave.

A LOA that is not FMLA counts against your average hours. Each of those weeks “counts” as a week you worked zero hours.

A non-FMLA leave allows you to keep your job but otherwise provides no protections. The fact that you were not made to quit was the point of the leave.
Yes thank you, I thought that was the case. LOAs do not protect your hours and in fact in some companies they don't even secure your job.

FMLA is the only thing I know that protects your job.

Back