Archived How does my review play out this year with a promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mule

Jack Of All Workcenters
Just curious if any of the HR people here can answer this one for me. I was earning $X.XX at my old position and got my promotion to SFT and am now earning $XX.XX. I can say that whatever raise I would have gotten would be far exceeded by what I earn now in my new role. In the next week or two I have to get with my old TL and go over my review. Will whatever my raise would have been be added to my current wage? Or will it simply have been absorbed by my new paygrade?

I'm in a similar state as you, I was GSTM promoted to GSA (I was only 2 weeks in to training when my review was finished.)

I haven't received my review yet however I've asked a similar question and the general consensus is that

a) Your review is prorated based on how long of the year you were in each position and how you performed.

b) Pay-grade raises are separate from merit raises.

Hopefully that answers your question - once you get your review let me know!

I'm in a similar state as you, I was GSTM promoted to GSA (I was only 2 weeks in to training when my review was finished.)

I haven't received my review yet however I've asked a similar question and the general consensus is that

a) Your review is prorated based on how long of the year you were in each position and how you performed.

b) Pay-grade raises are separate from merit raises.

Hopefully that answers your question - once you get your review let me know!

I have never gotten a raise pro-rated due to a recent promotion. It should be a raise based on whatever your wage is at the time of review.

From another thread:

Your annual review should be written and based on the position in which you spent most of the year in. So if you were promoted in Feb. it should be based on you as a Guest Service team Member not GSA. Your raise should be prorated for each position.

Well, should be heading back to my old store next week sometime to go over the review with the old TL, will let you know how it goes and what the result is.

SFT is PG17, right? Did they add $4.50 to your original base pay after you got promoted? Did you get to haggle your wage?
Ex; If you were making $9.00/hr, now you'd be making $13.50/hr

I am PG17. My new wage is a round number that was higher than I originally asked for, even higher than adding $4.50 to my base, so I have to assume that it is the minimum for the position in my area.

Awesome, thanks for your response!
And to answer your question, your merit raise (yearly review) will be added onto whatever you're making now. So going forward within the next couple weeks, when merit increases take effect, you will getting that additional compensation.

PS- Although PG17 is very respectable, not too long ago, my SFT pointed out that being a PG17 SFT is underpaying you for all the responsibilities that are put on your plate. When he compared it to all the technical fields that require that skill set, he said he was underpaid. What's your opinion? Are you compensated fairly for your skill set? Or could you make more elsewhere?

I couldn't get this position elsewhere as I don't have any direct skill set to pull from. As I told my DFM, ETL-HR and GFM during my interviews, I have an applied general knowledge to pull from working with landlords over the years doing roofing, , carpentry, electrical and plumbing. I also am very computer literate as I can literally build a computer blind folded after working on them for over 10 years now. My plan was to get some schooling in to further help me getting this position, but I had to try when this opportunity opened up. Combined with my interviewing skills though, I also had the support of 6 TLs/Sr.TLs, 5 ETLs and 3 STLs that I've worked with over the years offering their support in my ability to adapt to any task given me.

As for the wage being appropriate for an SFT's responsibilities in the store, I might agree to an extent that they be compensated a little more, but I myself am quite happy with my current rate. There is a certain level of skilled trade involved as you do have to do basic levels of general building maintenance. You also have to manage the cleaning crew's performance, work with outside contractors, coordinate your own work with all other TMs in the building, perform a myriad number of preventative maintenance tasks to keep the store running without interruption, complete field projects as needed and all of this while trying to keep company expenditures at a minimum.

My review is tomorrow, but I kinda already know what it will be, they already rolled it into this week's pay. Believe I got an "O", ended up with a $0.72 raise.

My review is tomorrow, but I kinda already know what it will be, they already rolled it into this week's pay. Believe I got an "O", ended up with a $0.72 raise.

$0.72? That's pretty impressive. Good for you!

Yeah, my review was based on my performance at my previous store. My raise was added onto my new position. $$$!

Only got an "EX", not an "O". Still, nice with it being applied to the new wage and not the old one.

Good to hear Mule.
Always nice when Spot does the right thing.

I was cart attendant for half of my 2011 year, and it factored into my review as far as performance. I'm pretty sure any merit increases go off of the base pay of your current paygrade.

It may in some instances, but this year's raise was off of my new total amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back