Archived How does one become a STL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you become a Store team leader? I swear ours Is In her early to mid 30's only. Seems pretty young to be a STL.

Or suck enough so you get promoted to stop the bleeding.. Seen that recently.. Our STL signed off on our ETL Overnight Flow becoming an STL so we could get our process back to someone who cared..

Feel bad for her first store. Numbers will be great but it will look and run like shit.

Or suck enough so you get promoted to stop the bleeding.. Seen that recently.. Our STL signed off on our ETL Overnight Flow becoming an STL so we could get our process back to someone who cared..

Feel bad for her first store. Numbers will be great but it will look and run like shit.

LOL - I read "or suck enough so you get promoted" and thought this thread was about to go in a complete different direction....

or Target will sometimes hire outside the company, someone with NO relevant experience, say like he worked in a bank.

I had one STL that was ETL for all of 2 years, she lasted almost a year, and another who was hired from a grocery chain where he was a district manager, he had no idea what he was doing and was complete disaster but, the plan was he would run a store for a year and then take over a district. The store fell apart. He was clueless and had people doing random crazy things completely outside best practice. The store became chaos but since the people hire up wanted him in a district by the end of the year all of our visits were green. It was pretty funny so much so people started doing things wrong on purpose to see if they would get dinged in visits and they did not. So at the end of the year he was off and running a district will still no idea how to even run a store.

How does one become a STL?

Work hard. Think smart. Not necessarily in that order...

Easy peasy!!!

How do you become a Store team leader? I swear ours Is In her early to mid 30's only. Seems pretty young to be a STL.
If you think that's young, our etl-ge is about to become stl at another store, and he's only 28. He's two fucking years older than me and on track to potentially make 100 grand a year...I'm sitting here making 10.50 an hour. Talk about feeling like a total loser.

I just pulled up my current stl's LinkedIn. He put in 3 years as an etl. I believe he's 27 based on when he started college (same year as me lol).

Ability matters more than age. I've seen great STLs and bad STLs. Age didn't matter. Usually ability comes with experience, and experience tends to come with age, but that's not always the case.

So at the end of the year he was off and running a district will still no idea how to even run a store.

Running a district without even knowing how to run a store? Sounds about right for Target.

My STL was younger than me, I was 27 at the time
and she was already the STL at another store for 2 years. I've seen people become STL after one 18 month ETL rotation. These were all successful LOGs.

I was prepped for the STL interviews at 12 months - then I told them I was leaving.

Our stl started right before I did, he was 26. two years older than me ... i just graduated college and start a job at 8.50 while he makes who knows what .. way more than me. he is very emotional and immature, everyone wants him out!

Don't get too caught up in people making more money. Just ask "what did he/she do differently?" Sometimes the answer is as simple as putting an application in or how the person applied (i.e. Apply online at the district level vs going to a store and applying for ETL). I've seen several qualified people apply at the store level and never see ETL while unqualified people went the easier route and applied online.

Just don't beat yourself up. There are jobs all over the country.

My store has been open for eight years and we've had 5 STLs. First one moved to a different company, second and third (both lasted less than a year) were fired, fourth moved to a lower volume store. The newest one seems great; he's out on the floor doing the grunt work, but time will tell.

You could not pay me to be an STL (or ETL for that matter).

I'd never worked retail until after college (I did childcare jobs, library, office assistant before and during) so I always had this assumption that most retail managers were people who started from the bottom now they're here (Drake voice lol). And I thought the ones that didn't work their way up came from other stores

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never worked retail until after college (I did childcare jobs, library, office assistant before and during) so I always had this assumption that most retail managers were people who started from the bottom now they're here (Drake voice lol). And I thought the ones that didn't work their way up came from other stores
Some stores are like that. The grocery store where I work my other job almost exclusively promotes from within.

The only store-level management that is hired from outside is for the few specialty positions that are hard to learn without prior experience and certifications.

Running a district without even knowing how to run a store? Sounds about right for Target.

About two months before he was promoted he wandered into the backroom for the first time on his own that was not part of a visit. I said, you must be lost. He said what is all this stuff back here? I said it is back stock from the truck. And he said is their always so much? I said yeah pretty much. And he wandered off. Yep that guy is running a district.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back