How does your stores overnight process work?

I was wondering how the overnight process is going for other stores. My store is currently feeling like all the work is getting put on the overnight shift.

Last edited:
What overnight?
Same here. We had overnight for 4th Quarter, after that went back to 4am. Usually, that works but lately we've been getting double trucks on the regular. On Sunday, Inbound started the 2nd truck at 8:00am just as the store was opening. By 10:00am there was freight everywhere - On the salesfloor, in the stockroom, in receiving, any empty space was utilized. As fast as it was pushed out, more came off the truck until they finished at noon, just in time for the truck from the FDC. All this created a nightmare for Fulfillment and the MPM stats reflected that. 😒

And to answer your question, I think the majority of the unload team works about 4 hours. They might come in and go straight to unload, then push some freight. Might push old freight for an hour, and then unload.

Same here. We had overnight for 4th Quarter, after that went back to 4am. Usually, that works but lately we've been getting double trucks on the regular. On Sunday, Inbound started the 2nd truck at 8:00am just as the store was opening. By 10:00am there was freight everywhere - On the salesfloor, in the stockroom, in receiving, any empty space was utilized. As fast as it was pushed out, more came off the truck until they finished at noon, just in time for the truck from the FDC. All this created a nightmare for Fulfillment and the MPM stats reflected that. 😒
My inbound is schedule 4.5h everyday . And we take doubles everyday and triple 2days . My inbounds start at 5:30 off at 10:15. Always finish trucks on time

My store has never left the overnight process...We get doubles everynight for the most part. Our Stl is now asking us to get the team to pull 1 4 1and do 4 by 4 on top of our trucks and back stock caseless, on top of constantly asking us to cut hours, when we give push back there only response is that's what corporate wants.

My store has never left the overnight process...We get doubles everynight for the most part. Our Stl is now asking us to get the team to pull 1 4 1and do 4 by 4 on top of our trucks and back stock caseless, on top of constantly asking us to cut hours, when we give push back there only response is that's what corporate wants.
If you are overnight it shouldn’t be any problem getting all that done if you are scheduled full shifts .

If you are overnight it shouldn’t be any problem getting all that done if you are scheduled full shifts .
Our trucks are roughly 2k+ each just that adding on backstocking caseless for big departments takes most of the shift. Caseless aline doubles the time it takes to backstock. When you add 1 4 1 (which are normally big because closing team rarely pulls them) and 4 by 4 there's not enough time in a full shift, Let alone our Stl is always telling us to save hours.

Our trucks are roughly 2k+ each just that adding on backstocking caseless for big departments takes most of the shift. Caseless aline doubles the time it takes to backstock. When you add 1 4 1 (which are normally big because closing team rarely pulls them) and 4 by 4 there's not enough time in a full shift, Let alone our Stl is always telling us to save hours.
How long does your trucks take to finish? How many people are scheduled overnight ?

How long does your trucks take to finish? How many people are scheduled overnight ?
That's random really, we can have anywhere from 20-30 ppl on a good night but it's been lower lately. Trucks depend on the size and ppl schedule on the line. Roughly 3hours for 2 average size (2k) trucks. Sometimes faster depending on who's working really.

That's random really, we can have anywhere from 20-30 ppl on a good night but it's been lower lately. Trucks depend on the size and ppl schedule on the line. Roughly 3hours for 2 average size (2k) trucks. Sometimes faster depending on who's working really.
Then everything he asks it’s very duoable. Trucks should take 2-2h15min each top . You only need 5 on the line and your thrower the other 15-20 people can accomplish all the other task. It’s all about how you strategize and delegate .

Then everything he asks it’s very duoable. Trucks should take 2-2h15min each top . You only need 5 on the line and your thrower the other 15-20 people can accomplish all the other task. It’s all about how you strategize and delegate .
The trucks gets done but it's really the 141 that will become an issue since our store has a bad habit of letting the day side members get away with not pulling. Either way I was just curious on if this was something being done at other stores like he says or if it's just a way to make up for the lack of work being done during the day.

The trucks gets done but it's really the 141 that will become an issue since our store has a bad habit of letting the day side members get away with not pulling. Either way I was just curious on if this was something being done at other stores like he says or if it's just a way to make up for the lack of work being done during the day.
It is not the same in every store because most stores don’t have overnight anymore . But if you are given that many people overnight then day side should just do zone .reshop and any leftover freight.

20-30 people you guys should be cruising. It does seem like you guys might have some data accuracy issues if you are spemding a lit of time back stocking. Its hard to say what your problem is. Dayside team should definitely help with pulls though just makes life easier for everyone.

It is not the same in every store because most stores don’t have overnight anymore . But if you are given that many people overnight then day side should just do zone .reshop and any leftover freight.
Dayside never helps with leftover freight it doesn't matter if it's 1 pallet or 20 we get stuck with it the next night. We have that many ppl a night during 4th quarter really. The hours are low this time of year normally let alone during a pandemic. But we've had nights where we only have 10-15 with double trucks and that's including unload.

20-30 people you guys should be cruising. It does seem like you guys might have some data accuracy issues if you are spemding a lit of time back stocking. Its hard to say what your problem is. Dayside team should definitely help with pulls though just makes life easier for everyone.
We can knock out backstock fast normally but now our store has us opening every single box and backstocking them in waco's by section that takes way longer. And while 20-30 is a good amount of ppl those are good days/4th quarter it's normally less.

We are still overnight, and that will likely never change due to our very high volume. But our overnight process is pretty broken, and we're lucky if they get through freight, let alone pull. Also, if your store is anything like mine, fulfillment has a tendency to get out of hand during random times of the day, and the team is pulled in to help meet goal times and keep the numbers under control. That is why one for ones may not be happening consistently. Every department is seriously hurting right now across the board, in terms of hours.

I always feel like people forget ASANTS. For the most, we had one thrower, four on the line for sort, one for beauty secondary sort, and two for AA secondary sort.

Back