Archived How easy is it to pick up shifts?(flow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never actually picked up shifts and don't recall everything I need to do for it. I can easily go ask HR or a co-worker on the details but I am wondering at most stores how easy it is to consistently pick up shifts?

Being on flow I am only able to pick one of the days I'm not working, and since I am getting scheduled for very few hours, and our days are never more than 4 hours(3 if we finish early), I am not bringing in enough income for my needs.

I was forced to move due to family problems and have been with a friend who let me stay free of charge till I got on my feet. However the current income is JUST enough to cover my part of rent/utilities and feed myself. Between an overdue phone bill and owing friends for their support after I moved I owe about $800 as of right now.

I can't even pay that back as of now and after paying that back I need roughly $1500 for a new computer and a plane ticket for a trip I need to make when available. Just a little frustrated that I keep getting scheduled for 12-16 hours after I remember our HR lady saying we were promised minimum of 20.

However, if I can consistently get 6 days a week by picking up the missing days in other shifts I should be able to save my target amount of ~$300 per month which would let me get the debt paid back and plane ticket purchased by my ideal deadline.

so TL;DR[: How easy is it to consistently pick up shifts for overnight flow for the days I am not scheduled?

How easy it is just depends on who is trying to get rid of shifts in workcenters you're trained in, and how your store is doing on sales (adding flex hours to payroll). Always monitor the swap shift board in your TSC. The more areas you're cross-trained in, the easier it'll be for you to pick up more hours. Talk to your HR as well and let them know you're looking for more hours and would like to be cross trained. If you're a good worker and dependable (and have trouble saying no :) ), they'll keep you in mind when they're looking to replace call-offs or add hours. Cashiering and sales floor are always good places to start.

How long do I have to work at Target to be cross trained? My orientation was the 9th and my first actual workday was the 11th, so I've only been there about 2 weeks. I still haven't even done everything in flow(never unloaded, never bowled, only been in 1 spot on the line but I cover about 7 pallets depending on how many we have).

Talk to your TL and ETL, let them know that you need more hours and are willing to help where needed. We have some on our flow team in similar situation and they stay after to help POG with filling seasonal, finish setting seasonal they even jump on price change and come in for ad set up as well. Just starting out you have to prove your worth, and don't be afraid to speak up and let your TL know you want to learn more, the more you learn the more potential you have of getting more hours.

Keep volunteering, prove yourself to be an asset and offer to be cross trained.
With 4th quarter rolling around it should be easier but then there's the dreaded 1st right after that.

(Fixed you thread title so no one makes the 'go east young man joke' (or would I be the only one).

Thanks for the input. I will ask my team leader about cross training and if there is anything I can do for more hours tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back