Archived How hard is it to go from GSA to GSTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically when I was hired as GSA, I was told that it's like a transitionary role for becoming a TL. Now I haven't been with the company very long, but Ive got a few concerns. One is that I feel like several of the the SrTLs and ETLs are being especially critical of me. Is this because they have high expectations so that I can be prepared to promote or do they just enjoy nitpicking me? I know I'm not perfect, but I feel generally like I'm doing a good job. Second ive noticed there are a lot more GSAs than there are GSTLs and I know the ones in my store have been in role well over a year. Of course ive gotten the impression that they may not want to promote, but I have a few years of supervisor experience under my belt despite being in my late 20s. I do NOT want to sit on this role of being the lower payed GSTL when the very few things they do in addition (reviews, coachings, and paperwork) is something ive already done elsewhere.

Think of the GSA position as the Thunderdome of the store.
The odds of you getting out without a chainsaw to the crotch is kinda slim.

Thunderdome of the store? Huh?

So do they basically just like finding people for that role and keeping them there? That doesn't work for me, I'm a promote or walk type person.

If they are nitpicking you, that is a bad sign. That means they have no interest in developing you at this point. If you walk on water, are doing status walks, having weekly meetings to talk about your God like status, etc, then you are on your way to promotion.

The GSAs are likely where they are either because they don't want to promote (and the thought of having to care even more about Redcards makes them want to vomit) or they are also being nit picked to death and will never be promoted.

If they are nitpicking you, that is a bad sign. That means they have no interest in developing you at this point. If you walk on water, are doing status walks, having weekly meetings to talk about your God like status, etc, then you are on your way to promotion.

The GSAs are likely where they are either because they don't want to promote (and the thought of having to care even more about Redcards makes them want to vomit) or they are also being nit picked to death and will never be promoted.

Well I will definitely be moving to a different store anyway, so what my Senior and ETL think of me really doesn't matter to me. I just thought perhaps there was a chance they could recognize talent, but perhaps not. The only people who don't get nitpicked (and I mean it could be the only thing you did wrong was not EXCEED RC goals by 5+ or almond baskets don't have their handles facing One Direction) are two cashiers who get like 7 RC a day...though even they occasionally face beratement too. Am I just bring sensitive to the fact that she's a monstrous bitch...ahem, I mean perfect ETL/STL candidate or what

Politics are very much a thing at Target, especially with regard to internal promotions. At least at my store, if you are not attached enough to the STL's nether regions, you won't be promoted. A few of us here know what it's like to be skipped over for development and further promotion. We had a GSA who promoted to TL in 2 months. 2 months! Yet, I've been GSA for 4 months now and the other GSA has for 9 months and we will likely never be promoted further, because we aren't good enough for this STL. Meanwhile, they're promoting one of the shittiest TLs in the entire store to Sr. TL because she knows how to play ball. Most of us just can't be bothered to do that. Many of us just aren't liked enough, to the point where even if we tried to kiss booty we would be passed over.

So basically when I was hired as GSA, I was told that it's like a transitionary role for becoming a TL.

Spot will make a lot of promises to you to get you on board with that shitty 50-cents-above-minimum-wage pay rate. It's the only way they can hire people for the position.

There is no mandate for transition from GSA to TL. Sure, transitioning to TL from GSA is easier than it is for other TM positions because it is a supervisory role, but by no means does it guarantee you will become a TL.

I have a few years of supervisor experience under my belt despite being in my late 20s.

My advice would be to get out if it becomes increasingly obvious that you aren't being looked at for promotion to TL. There are better paying supervisor jobs out there with better companies and better opportunities for advancement. Look for new jobs.

Last edited:
Just like any position, you can get stuck there if you don't perform well enough and say the right things. The difference is that GSA is not a position you want to get stuck in because of the high demand that they have for you and the ridiculously low pay.

Why do people accept the GSAposition? It seems like buying an As Seen on TV product and expecting it to work like it does in the ad. GSA is a scam , they lure hard workers with the promise of fair pay in the near future, but I havent seen Anybody at GS getting paid even close to what they deserve. And do they even train you at all for that nightmare? I bet they dont...

Both of the current GSTLs at my store were GSAs. One was a GSA for a few years, the other was for only a month. I was a GSA for 2 years before I got promoted to a TL position and it's a huge reason why I got promoted at all. It helped me develop as a leader, and it's a position where you can work with the ETLs and STL a bit.

EDIT: Having said that, the 2 current GSAs at my store have no hope of ever getting promoted. They are terrible. They both have the ability to be TLs, but they don't work hard enough or care enough.

Politics are very much a thing at Target, especially with regard to internal promotions. At least at my store, if you are not attached enough to the STL's nether regions, you won't be promoted. A few of us here know what it's like to be skipped over for development and further promotion. We had a GSA who promoted to TL in 2 months. 2 months! Yet, I've been GSA for 4 months now and the other GSA has for 9 months and we will likely never be promoted further, because we aren't good enough for this STL. Meanwhile, they're promoting one of the shittiest TLs in the entire store to Sr. TL because she knows how to play ball. Most of us just can't be bothered to do that. Many of us just aren't liked enough, to the point where even if we tried to kiss booty we would be passed over. Spot will make a lot of promises to you to get you on board with that shitty 50-cents-above-minimum-wage pay rate. It's the only way they can hire people for the position.
There is no mandate for transition from GSA to TL. Sure, transitioning to TL from GSA is easier than it is for other TM positions because it is a supervisory role, but by no means does it guarantee you will become a TL. My advice would be to get out if it becomes increasingly obvious that you aren't being looked at for promotion to TL. There are better paying supervisor jobs out there with better companies and better opportunities for advancement. Look for new jobs.

Oh yes, I'm well aware of office politics haha. Me and the STL rarely see eachother, but when we do it always seems to be a positive experience...no negativity once so ever, and he seems to be relatively cool in general...idk. As for my ETL and SrTL, I hate their guts, but I try and play along while they're around so that I can get moved up and out to a different store and just hope that when I do the roof collapses the next day lol. The only thing is, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of GSAs at the store. I wont specify on exact numbers, but it's enough that we usually have two scheduled at the same time and sometimes there's even two of us and the GSTL. I also got hired for like three dollars above the base pay so there must have been some respect for my experience right? I know there's no mandate for transition, but I'm trying to prove myself. I bust my ass when I'm there, and go out of my way to learn and do extra. I'm not so sure about my access to better paying supervisor positions, the only job I had that payed a little more than this ($14 compared to $12) entailed a massive amount of more work and stress.

Why do people accept the GSAposition? It seems like buying an As Seen on TV product and expecting it to work like it does in the ad. GSA is a scam , they lure hard workers with the promise of fair pay in the near future, but I havent seen Anybody at GS getting paid even close to what they deserve. And do they even train you at all for that nightmare? I bet they dont...

ASANTS. I am a GSA (promoted from SF about a year and a half ago) and I make over $15 an hour. The other GSA's make under $11 though, so I think I'm more the exception.

Well it looks like some of you lucky ones got actual competitive pay for the position. Good on you. When I barely mentioned if there was any negotiation for my GSA pay, even just $1 more/hr instead of 50c, I was practically laughed out of HR's office.

Seriously. Wherever it is, I want a transfer.

No I just want to see what the COL looks like where he's at so I can determine if I should be asking for a raise or not.

P.S. I happen to know for a fact the STL if not ETLs can raise your pay at any time. I had a TL outside my work center let slip that the STL just randomly bumped his pay due to performance, this he was making like an additional dollar. Oh how I can't wait for someone to try and tell me I have to wait until next year's review lol

Our ETL-GE said he talked to those above him about raising our pay to $1 above base, and it was turned down.

Our ETL-GE said he talked to those above him about raising our pay to $1 above base, and it was turned down.

This is definitely a case where ASANTS and ADANTS. I'm not sure where my other GSAs stand, but again I got hired in at 12$ and I know our lowest paid works are in the 9$ range so we definitely don't follow the. 50+ base formula and I'm almost certain he could've gone higher as I didn't even ask for as much (knew little about targets structure or pay ahead of time) so I'd imagine getting another $1 on top of what in currently making wouldn't be a far stretch.

Yeah, our district sticks pretty close to only allowing stores so much in the budget for raises.

My pay just randomly jumped from 10.15$ an hour post review to 10.50$ and I only realized when I checked pay and benefits site. I have been working hard as the newest Plano tm for about 5 months now. Basically had to learn everything myself. Not sure what to make of it. The stl really liked my candy pog though haha. Maybe everyone's went up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back